PDA

View Full Version : WHAT'S THIS THEN?

SirToppamHat
22nd May 2006, 18:21
Can anyone tell me what this is (not the bit of human, I believe that to be an arm of some type)?

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d23/SirToppamHat/Dsc00310verysmall.jpg

No prizes for this, and the thread won't stay for long (unless anyone else has something interesting to post).
STH

blue up
22nd May 2006, 18:25
No idea.

Must be very small.

Can hardly see it.

AHA! The picture has come up on the screen on the 5th attempt.

Cover for a refueling port that is sunk into the concrete? Either that or it is where the lav got nicked after a great party.

Was it photographed in the single officers quaters?

SirToppamHat
22nd May 2006, 18:39
No

No

and err no!

STH

ImageGear
22nd May 2006, 18:45
Emergency entrance/exit from a domestic underground nuclear bunker ?

Imagegear

The Helpful Stacker
22nd May 2006, 18:46
Is it a store for a hazardous product or a vapor sink of some sort?

FJJP
22nd May 2006, 18:49
Looks like a highly sophisticated advanced model of an Turkish bog...

EnginEars
22nd May 2006, 18:52
Is it the hole they throw the money down in Whitehall????

stiknruda
22nd May 2006, 18:57
STH - it's definately a RIGHT arm!

ShyTorque
22nd May 2006, 18:59
It's a submarine escape hatch.
Is there a history of damp in that room?

Be careful when lifting the carpet and do watch out for "up periscope" - could give someone a very nasty injury.... :ooh:

Hilife
22nd May 2006, 19:02
This looks remarkably like a MkII Scalies wallet opener usually found in the foyer of any self respecting mess.

SirToppamHat
22nd May 2006, 19:07
MRCA knows - PM'd me with the answer.

Regards

STH

airborne_artist
22nd May 2006, 19:43
Is it where Two Jags keeps his SOH?

stir in hot water
22nd May 2006, 20:00
It's where the keep the morale on 208

15thManofTain
22nd May 2006, 21:12
Off thread I know.... but

208? At Valley? What's going on, are they 'superstreaming' there now too?

Time Flies
22nd May 2006, 21:14
No super streaming.

Have you heard of the Northern Destroyer?

Jackonicko
22nd May 2006, 21:33
I'd keep my apple core in it.

(You should see my 'apple'......., it's yellow, son.)

Zoom
22nd May 2006, 21:36
It's an ICBM silo..................for a very small ICBM.

greycoat
22nd May 2006, 21:38
and one or two examples of this quite 'special'ised storage might be found in East Anglia.

SirToppamHat
22nd May 2006, 21:41
Very clever Jackonicko, and greycoat I guess knows as well. But where is this one?

And just in case anyone thinks it's too sensitive to talk about, this is not the only picture of one of these on the web. Links later if anyone's interested.

STH

Roadster280
22nd May 2006, 21:52
I know what it is, but wouldnt want to cause a nuclear war if I let it out on here...

greycoat
22nd May 2006, 22:16
As to whereabouts, perhaps a de-commissioned airfield with a relatively long runway, possibly ex V force.

Bclass
22nd May 2006, 22:27
Looks like Fig 3.18 on page 34 of ISBN 1 873592 69 8 to me!

(must get some better bed time reading)

ZH875
22nd May 2006, 22:29
This is one at Wittering:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v604/ZH875/wittering_hutch.jpg(c)David Farrant
A derelict Hutch at Barnham:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v604/ZH875/raf_b3.jpg(c)Dan McKenzie
A Hutch at Faldingworth:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v604/ZH875/faldingworth13.jpg(c)Nick Catford

My guess would be Faldingworth.

Roadster280
22nd May 2006, 22:31
My guess would be Scampton.

Based upon investigation of STH's photobucket site....

ZH875
22nd May 2006, 22:34
My guess would be Scampton.

Based upon investigation of STH's photobucket site....What!, Something at RAF Scampton with a decent coat of paint.....Never!

Roadster280
22nd May 2006, 22:44
Well, looking again at the photo, there's rust on the hinges, and flakes of paint on the floor. I'd say there's a good chance that if the world comes to an end because there's rust on one's personal weapon, then if there's rust on part of a nuclear weapon system, then someone is in deeeeeep $hit!!!

I guess anywhere with those kind of hutches, which would be just about any V-bomber, even Shackleton station, or dispersal, let alone the purely munitions stores.

But based on being sneaky, I stand by Scampton.

Clockwork Mouse
23rd May 2006, 05:53
It's where you put your grenade when you can't find the pin that fell out when you were fiddling with it?

PTR 175
23rd May 2006, 07:17
It is a storage pit for the 'Physics package' of a nuclear weapon. Blue Danube type. See The English Heritage Book on the cold war for further pics and explanation.

It lists the sites including Faldingworth, Barnham, now Gorse Industrial estate and Wittering.

4Foxtrot
23rd May 2006, 18:02
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j221/4Foxtrot/scampton2.jpg

Soz about the poor quality, had to scan it in and then alter it to protect the guilty. Your little concrete pot is at the bottom of the photo. Note the helpful sign.

It's Scampton BTW.

Maple 01
23rd May 2006, 18:22
Well if it is Scampton it means the government have seen sense and have armed Scopies with their own Nuclear deterrent - about time too, there's a few air traffickers that need sorting out..............say goodbye Shawbury!

SirToppamHat
23rd May 2006, 19:00
It is, of course, a fissile core store of the type variously referred to above. The location is Scampton, but it is not in a Hutch. It is a building within the old weapons storage compound. The floor is carpeted, and there is a workbench to one side. There are windows in the building, which suggests it may have been a temporary store (or possibly a training rig?) as apart from plod and the dogs, there doesn't seem to be any significant security on the building itself. If anyone could shed some light ....

The photo was taken by Nick Catford (as per the picture on ZH875's post below) when he and his band of brothers from the Subterranea Britannica Group visited a couple of weeks ago. Interestingly, despite it not having been used for 20 years, the container is well greased, and opened with ease. The lid (which weighs loads) is beautifully balanced.

Although there is very little left in the buildings, the Guardhouse revealed lots of old bits and pieces, including bullet racks, RAFP instructions on ID cards and a list of personnel on the last ever shift. We left it intact for others to discover.

For those with an interest in such things, I can recommend the SubBrit web site:

http://www.subbrit.org.uk/rsg/index.shtml

Searches of Faldingworth, Barnham and Wittering will reveal more information on the spec weaps storage facilities.

Be warned though, these guys are (by their own admission) a bit sad. Personally, I think the record they are creating is a very worthy cause. Noone else seems to be terribly interested in the elements of our history that don't have wings attached.

Hope this was of interest - I enjoyed having a thread which didn't result in arguments, and there was no mention whatsoever of JPA ... oh bugger!

STH

Pontius Navigator
23rd May 2006, 19:48
The Red Beard gaunlet was about the size of a grapefruit and a robotic arm. When we got access to the training round it was housed in a canister like a large ice bucket with a screw on handle. The handle was screw on because the whole bucket was held in a larger dustbin lined with padding and equipped with rolling rings.

There were a pair of these at the guardroom at RAF Finningley and used as planters. They may even still be there.

Man A, the plotter, would remove the top of the container while Man B, the radar, would done a pair of white cotton gauntlets. The top removed the plotter would fasten the screw handle and unscrew the top of the bucket.

The top of the gaunlet exposed the radar would use the gauntlet extraction tool and fasten in to the gauntlet. As he withdrew the gauntlet from the container the plotter would open the hatch on the bomb. The radar would then offer the assembly to the weapon and lock it in place. The extraction tool was removed and the cover replaced by the plotter - job done.

One practice we had gone inti the SSA and were met by the Chief who was to supervise the LML drill. He nipped behind the curtain that we were not allowe dbehind to get his cuppa. A minute or so later he returned and said OK you can start. No we said, we have just finished. We had done a load, unload and stowed everything in a minute or so.

Is the picture a Red Beard gaunlet stowage? No idea but I suspect it may have been for Violet Club.