PDA

View Full Version : Overcoming jetlag

punkalouver
22nd May 2006, 15:57
I read an article in a magazine for travellers discussing how to overcome jetlag. Part of the solution was taking melatonin at certain times. Has anyone tried this?
Is it allowable for pilots?

egbt
22nd May 2006, 16:13

Not recomended, a search on the CAA web site will give the reasons.

Also not availble over the counter in UK

172driver
22nd May 2006, 16:13
have taken it in the past, however only if SLF down the back (mind you, getting jetlagged in the spamcans I fly would be quite a feat anyway ;) )

Effects were mixed: on some flights it definitely helped to overcome (or, more precisely, prevent) jetlag, on others it seemed to exacerbate it. In the end decided I was better off w/o it. Today combat jetlag by adjusting mealtimes and not eating at all on LH trips. Not really a great sacrifice, unless you are in J anyway - a rare occurence, alas :{

grimmrad
22nd May 2006, 16:17
I read an article in a magazine for travellers discussing how to overcome jetlag. Part of the solution was taking melatonin at certain times. Has anyone tried this?

I tried it once so far (passenger, I am no pilot) and it worked (for me) wonders! I took one pill (3 mg) because I was cautious on the flight (eastbound), 1/2 hour before I wanted to sleep. That worked kind of. Being there I took 6 mg before going to bed and ,wow, that worked perfectly! I didn't wake up at 3:30 local time as usual but sleept right through. I continued for the next 3 days.
However, only about 50% of people report an effect, for others it simply does not work.

There are few studies out, these ones are mentioned on
http://www.vanderbilt.edu/AnS/psychology/health_psychology/melatonin.htm#Melatonin%20and%20Jet%20Lag%20research

Claustrat (1992) conducted a study to see how melatonin alleviated jet-lag . It was a double-blind study on healthy volunteers flying from North America to France who were abnormally sensitive to jet-lag. The subjects took either 8 mg of melatonin or a placebo. The study concluded that melatonin helped to alleviate jet-lag on eastern bound flights. Some of the subjects did experience adverse side-effects though. There were a few cases a headache, and feeling drowsy later. In comparison with the placebo, the effects were positive. The subjects experienced a better mood, had an easier time falling asleep and were efficient the morning after their travel. Though there were a few side effects, the results on a whole were positive.

Lino (1993) conducted a study of the effects of melatonin on jet-lag. He recommends that melatonin be taken at 11 p.m. local time. His subjects all experienced positive results. They traveled from Hong Kong to Rome and from Rome to Hong Kong. The subjects were all medical doctors. They all received 5 mg of melatonin. Lino found out that doses of melatonin taken a few days in advance were not needed and only produced negative side-effects. These side-effects included headaches and a hang-over feeling.

If you google it some more come up, but I tend to follow reliable sources.
For pilots: ask your flight physicians (I am none), obviously not during the flight!

John Farley
22nd May 2006, 16:33
It was suggested by my UK GP that when travelling as a pax I gave it a try.

I got the stuff in the US and have taken 3mg doses in a variety of circumstances with zero detectable effect.

Perhaps I should have tried a double dose....

Gonzo
22nd May 2006, 16:43
I didn't wake up at 3:30 local time as usual but sleept right through. I continued for the next 3 days.

Just checking you don't mean that you slept for three days straight........??? :p

javelin
22nd May 2006, 16:53
I fly longhaul most of the time, tried Melatonin a few years ago and it gave me really weird dreams !

Melatonin is the hormone released naturally as we fall asleep and it's primary effect is to suppress the appetite so we don't need to eat while we sleep. That is why it is sold in the US as a diet pill.

Here is my usual chat on jetlag.

Jetlag only occurs eastbound - against the natural day period. Going west you are tired but can cope with the extended day.

Coming east, on arrival at destination calculate how many hours until a normal 10p.m. local bedtime. divide that by 3 (we roughly sleep 8hrs, we are awake 16hrs in a 24hr period). Sleep or rest in a darkened room for that number of hours then get up and either get into the sunlight or as bright an environment as you can. At 10pm or later if you are still awake, go to bed and you should be OK for time shifts up to 6hrs.

This has worked fine for me for the past 10 years.

Failing that, use the old faithful - Red Bull and Gin & Tonic, just get the timing right on each :ok:

Speed of Sound
22nd May 2006, 17:11
Been using Melatonin eastbound for over 10 years now and it works a treat. :)

SoS

WG774
22nd May 2006, 19:20
FWIW, the CAA don't like it: http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=212961&highlight=Melatonin

Melatonin's come up many times before, try this Search (http://www.pprune.org/forums/search.php?searchid=286008)

grimmrad
23rd May 2006, 17:08
Just checking you don't mean that you slept for three days straight........??? :p
Even though I would love to do that one time ;-)
No, I continued to take the Melatonin for 3 days, than reduced the dose (to 1/2 of prior days) than discontinued.

ThomasT
23rd May 2006, 20:30
I have used melatonin successfully for jet lag. It is non toxic, so I take 3mgs tabs at the following daily doeage, 6,5,4,3,2, and then my daily one for a good nights sleep. I have seen 12 hour jetlag knocked out in 3 days, as opposed to the three weeks it normally takes, if one has been away for more than 2 weeks, using the above formula. (mine) The sleep feels natural and one wakes with a clear head and refreshed. Melatonin is NOT TOXIC, as shown in studies where it has been unsuccessfully tested as a male contraceptive in enormous dosages, 50 and more mgs daily. Sleepy subjects, but still fertile. As we age, we produce less melatonin naturally, and supplementing has the anti-aging benefits of good sleep and also acts as an anti-oxidant, preserving you. When I flew for East Afgrican up to 1973, the aviation quack dosed us with the opiate mogadon, which took me 3 years to kick. That rubbish dulled the senses, and affected memory. The reason melatonin is not recommended in UK/Europe, is probably because big pharma wants you only to buy their crap. As melatonin it is not available over the counter in EU, you need to buy it in US from any health food outlet. If you bring it thru as your own medication/supplement, customs dont seem to mind. If it is mailed in, they, will confiscate it.

Aerobird
24th May 2006, 10:24
Not sure about Pilots using it but it does help regulate your body clock again. I buy it in the US and use it to help me regulate my sleep patterns again. I can certainly recommend it but suggest you reseach further if you are a pilot.

Oh that's super!
24th May 2006, 12:47
Melatonin does absolutely nothing to regulate my sleep patterns at all.

I find that the best thing for me to do is to keep active during the normal waking hours of where-ever I am, and then stay up as late as I can.

Then again, I'm one of those persons that would happily stay awake for extra hours as long as I'm keeping busy, so my approach is probably somewhat peculiar.

sikeano
24th May 2006, 19:48
jet lag what a load of tosh
punkalouver try beer mate, works for me :ok:

BusyB
29th May 2006, 19:17
I've also tried it but only in small 3mg doses. Only noticeable effect was vivid dreams (not that sort either).:=

SEAN911
30th May 2006, 01:03
While serving on my union's Aeromedical Cmte we had our aeromedical consultants do some research on Melatonin. Conclusion: since it is non-prescription it is not government controlled - hence, you can't be sure of the quality, dosage, etc. We decided not to recommend it to our members. As a passenger I have used Ambien for years with very good results. Recently I read that Trazodone has the same effect on sleeplessness as Ambien, but Trazodone cost about $0.10/pill vs. about $3.00 for Ambien. Both are prescription drugs. Do your own research. Check with your doctor.