PDA

View Full Version : Little info: BOAC loss in 1946/7?

PAXboy
22nd May 2006, 03:58
I am hoping to get a little information on the loss of a BOAC machine in the immediate post war era.

I am told that machine was returning from Karachi on a non-revenue flight, with BOAC staff. There had been a promotional trip of some kind or, possibly, route proving for the expanding post war service. The family do not know, I have been speaking with the sister of one who died. He was aged about 18 and had recently joined the company.

Further than that, I have no information about the date, circumstances or a/c type.

Many thanks.

Brian Abraham
22nd May 2006, 05:35
Try having a look at http://aviation-safety.net/database/dblist.php?sorteer=datekey_desc&kind=%&cat=%&page=1&field=Operatorkey&var=5125 You may be able to narrow your quest down.
Blue Skies,
Brian

Newforest
22nd May 2006, 07:42
A range of options considering the lack of information provided! On 23/1/46. a DC-3 was w/o at El Adem, Libya. On 23/3/46, A Lancastrian disappeared in the Indian Ocean. On 23/12/46, a DC-3 was w/o at Malta. On 16/7/47, an Avro York crashed in Iran. The best bet considering the point of departure would be Short Sandringham G-AHZB which crashed at Bahrain. The link is below.

http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19470823-1&lang=en

PAXboy
22nd May 2006, 14:32
Most interesting and helpful. I shall speak with the family again and see if one of the dates rings a bell. The Shorts Sunderland in 1947 departed Karachi, whereas the Lancastrian in 1946 had stopped at Colombo after Karachi, although that date is closer to the one I was given.

Many thanks.

renfrew
27th May 2006, 19:13
Lancastrian G-AGMF crashed near Rouen 20Aug46 on a training flight killing 8 crew.It was flying Lydda/UK but may well have come from Karachi before that.

PAXboy
10th Jun 2006, 19:50
Thanks for the help, folks. I have checked back with the sister of the chap that died and she gave the date 20th August 1946 which makes it:
Rouen, France
British Overseas Airways
Avro 691 Lancastrian 1 G-AGMF 9/8
Training flight. Descended through clouds and crashed.
Premature descent by the crew without establishing their position.
Was en route Lydda to UK but may well have come from Karachi before that.

Is ther any liklihood of being able to get any more data, or even an accident report? It appears that eight died? The young man was, basically, being given experience training (which might equal a jolly) but was not aiming to be flight or cabin crew, as far as I know. He was working as ground crew OR office staff. Perhaps it was a route proving flight, hence allowing the passenger?

Am I right that Lydda is [quote Wikipedia]: The present-day Lod was the location of the ancient Greek colony of Lydda, and the pre-1948 Arab town of al-Lud? If not, what is the closest present day name? I gather that Ben Gurion International for LLBG/TLV is now the largest - if Lydda is the right place.

Thanks again, I'll wait a bit before sending info back to the family.

Stubenfliege 2
14th Jun 2006, 22:09
Hi ya,

<<Am I right that Lydda is [quote Wikipedia]: The present-day Lod was the location of the ancient Greek colony of Lydda, and the pre-1948 Arab town of al-Lud? If not, what is the closest present day name?>>

Lod

<<Igather that Ben Gurion International for LLBG/TLV is now the largest - if Lydda is the right place.>>

Is the same airport, but a little bit bigger and busier than in this old days.

With regards,

afcbsimon
25th Jun 2006, 13:35
Hi,

The BA museum at Heathrow hold a great deal of BOAC information and I am sure you will be able to find an accident report there. They are very helpful and are always extremely interested to help people like yourself.

I found an accident report for an incident my Grandfather was involved in whilst flying for BOAC at this museum.

Regards,
Simon