PDA

View Full Version : 737 rating + line training...

Aerofoil
21st May 2006, 21:41
Hi all

I was just wondering if there are any guys out there who have done the 737 type rating with Astraeus followed by the 100hrs line training?

I'm basically trying to find out if you are now employed flying 737's and also, more importantly, how long you were waiting for that job??

I know there are many people who disagree with paying for a type rating but please dont use this thread to voice your objections. I am just aiming for feedback from the guys who have done the TR and line training with Astraeus.

Many thanks and best regards

Foil

portsharbourflyer
21st May 2006, 22:10
Just wondering if you had read the most recent edition of flight international 16-22 May edition, very interesting article in the back on pilot recruitment. The article had some comments from the contract agencies; apparantly there is never any problem recruiting 737 or A320 pilots due to the number of type rated crews candidates around, however there are shortages on other types (757, Saab2000). If you are set on the type rating route fair enough, but 737 may not be the best route to go down right now.

Aerofoil
22nd May 2006, 10:09
Thanks for the reply, could be something to bare in mind.

Is there anyone else who can answer my questions.

Many thanks

Foil

Phileas Fogg
22nd May 2006, 10:24
There are a quite a number of guys out there who have paid for 100 hours and are still looking for a job.

100 hours isn't that significant when compared to the industry standard of 500 hours, with 100 hours you are one notch up from a type rating only but still 4 notches down from what the prospective employer is looking for.

Mooneyboy
23rd May 2006, 17:13
Don't Astraeus do something where you buy a type rating ( bond aviation I think) and then you do the line training with Astraeus.

I remember seeing it in the back of Pilot magazine but haven't seen it for a long while. I would also been interested to hear from anyone who knows of a type rating including a lot of line training. It would seem a lot better than having a green 737 type rating with hardly any hours and been in a similar position to what I'm in now. Just a hell of a lot poorer! Everything seems a bit of a gamble really but a move has to be taken at some point.

Regards,

Mooneyboy:)

Danny_manchester
23rd May 2006, 18:02
From what i gather, you do the TR with Bond aviation, then the 100hrs line training with Astraeus. Although its only 1 step up from a TR, surely its better than having a TR with no hours on type?

flyfish
23rd May 2006, 18:39
I can confirm that’s the case, the type rating is completed with Bond and the line training is carried out on Astraeus aircraft. I am at the base check stage on the 737 so I cannot answer the original question just yet.
All I can say is that the training has been first class throughout. I am more than happy with the product that I have bought but only time will tell if it pays off.
I have a couple of examples of their honesty which, if anyone thinking of doing the course would like to PM me, I would be happy to give.

There are no promises of any type of employment when you sign up for the course, but I have met people, while doing the medical/CRM/sep courses who have been called back by Astraeus when FOs were required, so I do believe that they will place you if they can.
In addition I know guys flying for some of the lost cost carriers who did the course with Bond/Astraeus.
I was thinking of doing a 'type rating' diary the sort of thing I have read for the CPL etc, if anybody would be interested?
Sorry I can’t be more informative, but hope that helps.
Flyfish

Phileas Fogg
25th May 2006, 06:53
From what i gather, you do the TR with Bond aviation, then the 100hrs line training with Astraeus. Although its only 1 step up from a TR, surely its better than having a TR with no hours on type?

10,20,30, 40 etc. hours are better than a type rating only but it still ain't going to secure one a job and one will join the queue of others who have paid for line training.

To reiterate, 100 hours is nowhere near the industry standard of 500 hours thus 300 or 400 hours might get one a look in, 100 hours is condidered pretty much as a type rating only by the prospective employers.

Pilot Pete
25th May 2006, 08:11
To reiterate, 100 hours is nowhere near the industry standard of 500 hours thus 300 or 400 hours might get one a look in, 100 hours is condidered pretty much as a type rating only by the prospective employers.

Have to agree. I know of several pilots with low total time who have done a type rating and found it difficult to get a job. I know a few who have then dived in to get 100hrs line training and who are still struggling to find employment. I also know of a few who have got jobs subsequent to a type rating paid for by themselves and not as part of any particular airline employment 'scheme'.

It still comes down to hard work securing that first break and spending cash on the rating and/ or hours is not in itself going to get you employed. Another factor seems to be age. If you are no spring chicken then buying the type rating and getting line training still doesn't make you fit the 'experience commensurate with age' profile of many employers and you still can't get a look in.

An interesting point which seems to confirm what Phileas Fogg says about an 'industry norm' of around 500hrs on type, is that my airline will put you through the complete 737 type rating course again if they employ you with a 'bare' 737 type rating. However, they will pick up the tab for this as opposed to those who join with no 737 type rating who have to enter into the slightly reduced starting salary to pay them back £10k over 5 years.

PP

-8AS
25th May 2006, 09:34
For anyone who has completed a type rating on a 737efis/NG...

The organisation you mention can and does pay for its own advertisements, and has no need of you placing free adverts on their behalf. Please do not do this.

Scroggs

Global Pilot
29th May 2006, 11:38
One advantage of having a classic 737 rating +100hours is that you are ok to do a differences course on to NG aircraft.

Phileas Fogg
29th May 2006, 14:38
One advantage of having a classic 737 rating +100hours is that you are ok to do a differences course on to NG aircraft.

You can do a differences course without 100 hours but it still ain't goingto secure one a job. It is being suggested, that without any offer of employment,one self funds a type rating, then100 hours, then a differences course, anything else one would like to pay for without a job?

Fair_Weather_Flyer
30th May 2006, 09:11
The whole 737 TR thing seems to be a bit of a bandwagon to me; with way too many people on it.

windshear-a-head
30th May 2006, 09:33
If you apply to an airline that operates 73's with your 100hrs on type, you will have to be put through the operators conversion course anyway to learn their SOP's and then go on to do line training with that airline, therefore I cannot see how you are saving the airline any money with 100hrs on type therefore a TR only would probably be just as good. It "may" get you slightly ahead of the crowd in terms of experience but I've been at selection days with guys who have a TR and also a TR + 100 hours, just think how frustrated you'd be if you had shelled out £xxxx only to find out you maybe didn't have to do it anyway.

Another thing is the cost issue, if your going to think about getting a rating and some time on type and put yourself further into debt by borrowing more, then remember your going to need a good salary in order to pay it back, if your starting on a reduced salary until you get to 1500 hours then you do have to live etc as well.

I'm sure at this moment in time you maybe feeling annoyed that your not getting a look in with various airlines, it WILL come as long as you persist just don't think that throwing more and more money at it will get you there quicker, the airlines can be very picky with low hour guys because there is a good supply.

Its up to you, but there are NO guarantees!

Just my 2 cents.

BIGBAD
30th May 2006, 22:17
BEWARE

Don't forget you are paying to sit in the RHS - this subsides an airline's operation - no wages, no pension, no NI etc. With a buoyant job market, and it is likely to improve further as we head to the back end of summer, there is no need to take such drastic action, to get one up on fellow job seekers !

It's one thing to pay for a type rating with a job at the end - It's a different ballpark to pay for one speculatively and sheer madness to then pay for line training.

Remember - some FTO will tell you what you want to hear - ie pay for this and you'll almost certainly get a job - there might just be something in it for them !!

Some companies that specalise in this type to "line training" will mess the candidates about , like there's no tomorrow !! - TREAD WITH CAUTION

dimitrispa31
3rd Jun 2006, 13:33
You are commercial pilots,dont pay for line training.You should be paid for that.If you are guys that like flying planes as a hobby then continue paying.I know for a fact that in the airline that i work for and at a lot more airlines,if they see on your cv that you paid for the line,they will never call you for an interview.Big airlines need professional pilots,not people who are not the right kind for the job and they just pay to get it.
Beware of that guys.Good luck to all of you.

flash8
3rd Jun 2006, 17:56
dimitrispa31 is right mate. Pay and be damned, as no respectable outfit is likely to employ you. Good luck in your career though.