PDA

View Full Version : Serious C-130 Question

Party Animal
21st May 2006, 15:57
Gents / Ladies

I'm currently taking a sabbatical from the front-line in the attaché world of Defence Diplomacy. One of the countries that I am involved with will shortly be seeking to procure new transport aircraft and although a tender has yet to go out, initial front runners include old refurbished C130's, new 'J' models or smaller options such as the Spartan or EADS Casa CN-235. On Tuesday, I will be attending a lunch where the senior players from my host nation will seriously be discussing the merits of the potential options available. They are very keen to hear the British perspective as a major user of both old and new C130 models. Clearly, my views would form only a miniscule part of the decision making process however, my comments would certainly be noted. Now comes the reason for this thread. I am not from a truckie background and although, I have spent many hours as a pax in C-130's, I really have nothing useful to say beyond the obvious. Therefore, I will be very grateful for any balanced opinions or comments that seasoned operators may have - obviously within the bounds of OPSEC. I certainly don't want to start another slanging match between the diehards of either type, but is there any clear data that I don't have to wade through thousands of books or web sites to obtain. Such as: typical operating costs per hour, maintenance comparisons, operational capability (my host country has a parachute regiment - is the J fully cleared to the same level as the older models?). How much British content is involved in the old/new aircraft - or even the other options suggested? Any good war stories would also be welcomed if you don't mind them being repeated. Opinions also welcomed on the merits of fewer but bigger aircraft against more but smaller aircraft? Finally, apart from the recommendations made after the tragic loss of the RAF C-130 in the desert last year, are there any other clear lessons that have been learnt the hard way that could possibly be discussed.

That's probably enough for now and in the words of Auto Trader magazine - no timewasters please.

P.S. On a completely separate note, I will not be able to hold back from telling the head of the air force about the JPA debacle and the fact that I am one of the many aircrew still without flying pay or a pay slip for the month of April!

mbga9pgf
21st May 2006, 16:46
Why not pop down to Lyneham if you are who you say you are; find out plenty more than trawling on a website. Sure you could arrange a quick visit as I would imagine you are holding this meeting over in the smog?

Unless you are a journo of course! :ok:

Party Animal
21st May 2006, 18:29
The lunch is being funded by Lockheed Martin and Alenia in my host country the day after tomorrow. The whole reason I am posting on this website is because I do not have the time to phone all of my old friends at Lyneham or Boscombe to gather the info and even less time to tee up a visit to Wiltshire. Like I said, I'm not after anything classified just any useful info. Had someone asked the question about my own aircraft type, this would have been simple to answer - down to the nosewheel tyre pressure and the number of holes in the airbrakes if required.

ratty1
21st May 2006, 22:12
Just a quick question. What is the tyre pressure of your aircraft type and how many holes are there in the airbrakes? Whoops sorry that was two questions..:rolleyes:
If you dont have time to phone all of your old friends at Lyeham why not just ring one of them?:ugh:

Now a 'J' Bloke!!
21st May 2006, 22:18
Dear Ratty;

Lyeham???

Obviously 'Home of the Herules!!':-)

More LAter;
'J' Bloke!!:cool:

ZH875
21st May 2006, 22:20
Why not just ask South Side, he will give you the answer you want, as he is an expert on RAF matters.

ratty1
21st May 2006, 22:23
Thats what Shiraz does for ya!!!!!!!!!:8

propulike
21st May 2006, 22:50
Or we could just wait for a couple of posts until beagle gives us the latest A400 sales pitch?

truckiebloke
22nd May 2006, 13:14
''The whole reason I am posting on this website is because I do not have the time to phone all of my old friends at Lyneham ''

And writing a long winded and unlikely story on here will help you get a quick answer will it????

After all, picking up a phone and talking to someone takes forever......

passpartout
22nd May 2006, 13:59
That final paragraph is a tad bizarre:

P.S. On a completely separate note, I will not be able to hold back from telling the head of the air force about the JPA debacle and the fact that I am one of the many aircrew still without flying pay or a pay slip for the month of April!

Clearly, if I mention JPA (whatever that is), I will immediately establish my credentials.

It's like something from an old copy of Commando - "Der Britisher tommies vill be completely fooled by my vily attempt to discuss zeir problems mit ze adminen-pukens."

Why would this "head of the air force" be concerned with our personal problems, anyway??!!:confused:

Pass-A-Frozo
22nd May 2006, 14:00
Tell them to buy J models. Anything else would be a waste of money :E

mbga9pgf
22nd May 2006, 14:07
Tell them to buy J models. Anything else would be a waste of money :E

Or hold on and get more A400Ms, its very snazzy....

Or of course the C130J that can do all the K can do now with about another engines worth of thrust!

Queue bites.....

Lara crofts pants
22nd May 2006, 15:17
If you do go for the j variant make sure it comes complete with pilots who can walk the walk as well as talk the talk

couldn't help it...:O

grey_not_green
22nd May 2006, 15:45
Easy cariad...........

PapaJoe
22nd May 2006, 17:18
Must be your first day on the job, if you need to know what your thoughts are then ask your boss. As an attaché working in the world of Defence Diplomacy and carrying out the foreign policies of UK PLC do you not think there might just be a party line. Me thinks you could be more of an attaché case.:hmm:

Colonal Mustard
22nd May 2006, 18:51
http://wiley2-5fa.com/Top%20Secret.jpg

Safety_Helmut
22nd May 2006, 20:03
Oh come on, the guys just joined pprune, he tells us bugger all in his profile. He's in a seemingly important post where he has to deal with all sorts of foreign military types. All he wants is a bit of useful information on some of our aircraft, and what better place to ask for it than on an open forum ? :confused:

S_H

N Joe
22nd May 2006, 21:13
Please be nice to the journo.

If he doesn't get what he wants, he might just go the FOI / PQ route and we'd all be running around finding the answers rather than being able to get on with our day jobs.

N Joe