PDA

View Full Version : BBMF to open Beckhams' party

Ewan Whosearmy
20th May 2006, 17:04
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5000032.stm

Is this an error or judgment on the part of the RAF, or something of no consequence?

The Beckhams hold a private party at their mansion and get a fly-past from BBMF (which happens to be in the area). I was under the impression that the RAF did not 'do' fly-pasts for private individuals (even if they do happen to be the England squad)...

I guess this is the RAF's definition of good PR.

abbotyobs
20th May 2006, 17:25
It looks like the Blades are displaying as well, which is good news.
Well done Chaps!

Safeware
20th May 2006, 17:42
I thought that if you asked nicely and the BBMF were 'passing your way' then they would do a flypast, eg village fetes etc en route to an official display.

Mountain, molehill methinks

sw

Truck2005
20th May 2006, 17:47
WOW!! Wonder if 101 Sqn will do a beat up over my BBQ on the way into Saints:)

threepointonefour
20th May 2006, 17:54
So what?

1. I think I'm right in saying that the party is a BIG charidee do.
2. Why not see off the England team as they depart for Germany ...?

chevvron
20th May 2006, 18:26
Yeah; with an aircraft whose brothers went there many times.

Letsby Avenue
20th May 2006, 18:51
I wondered quite how our German chums might see this.. :} Especially as our fans have been told not to mention the war :eek:

NotTheOrganGrinder
20th May 2006, 19:13
Phew, glad this Iraq thing is finished so they can spend the cash on the poor Beckhams..

The Helpful Stacker
20th May 2006, 19:31
Phew, glad this Iraq thing is finished so they can spend the cash on the poor Beckhams..

The cost is a drop in the ocean when compared to Iraq or even the toy soldier units of the British Army (Kings Troop RHA etc).

Its good PR.

soddim
20th May 2006, 19:43
The motto of BBMF is 'Lest We Forget'.

So why not remind the Beckhams and the England squad too - and whoever's army happens to notice?

Green Flash
20th May 2006, 20:15
If someone, JUST ONE PERSON, looks up from the party and either a) remembers or b) wants to know more , then the exercise will be worth it. All PR is good PR. We PPRuners know, the Beckhams gig have the opertunity to know. Hope someone does.

Training Risky
20th May 2006, 20:21
Was this in the bailiwick of the chisellers on the STC Participation Committee?

I sent them a very polite letter a couple of years ago, asking if the Sparrows were returning from overseas on the day of my wedding, would they mind just detouring overhead? No matter what the time or flight level?

I got a very polite fu(k you letter back!

Good to see we hold a bunch of overpaid, prima donna, 'roundball' players in higher regard.:ugh:

Jeep
20th May 2006, 20:51
' 3 Lions on my shirt ... '

Cheer up training risk, only a few days to go until the world cup.

Well done the BBMF for this one, great piece of PR.

ZH875
20th May 2006, 21:06
BBMF supporting the England World Cup Team through Thick and Thin.

Bomb Aimer to Pilot, go around, I can't see the target, she is hiding behind the cross hairs....

Always a Sapper
20th May 2006, 21:12
Guess there's no chance the Lanc could drop a stick of 1,000 lbrs across the big tent on the way past? ..... :E

The Gorilla
20th May 2006, 21:16
Actually it's a brilliant gesture! That way we can remind the Germans that they may well beat us at our national game, but we always beat them at theirs!

:}

GBALU53
20th May 2006, 21:20
Remember who pays for them?

Its great P.R. if we get the result as 1966??:ok: :ok:

Do we have the team that can do this??????:* :*

It would be great if the team won the cup , the REDS and the BBMF did a flypast when they arrived home it would be a bit of bad taste if this was done if and when the final is played if Germany and England were the finalist.??

Fox3snapshot
20th May 2006, 21:29
:hmm:

So shallow....surely there are far more important things in the UK community that need fly past attention...how about the poor chaps that were savaged in Iraq today, why not look after Mum and the kids at home with a bubby flypast to say g'day...or should we waste it on Top of the Pops and spankers that really do nothing for the nation!

:ugh:

ZH875
20th May 2006, 21:45
Actually it's a brilliant gesture! That way we can remind the Germans that they may well beat us at our national game, but we always beat them at theirs!

:}Another keyboard and monitor splattered with coffee. Thanks.

Mr Wippy
20th May 2006, 22:29
what a top idea, nice one BBMF!
2 ww & 1 wc do dah do dah

Zoom
20th May 2006, 23:51
With the RAF being the Air Force of the United Kingdom, I presume that the same honour would be bestowed on the Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish teams if they made the finals. But I feel that there is a touch too much WW2 in this and it is all rather corny; why not use some Harriers or the Sparrows? Or have a marchpast by some blanket stackers?

threepointonefour
21st May 2006, 07:14
I think many of you are making too much of this. If there was a thread for every 'waste of money' flypast/display, then pprune would be chocca!

Moreover, if there was a thread for EVERYTHING that was a waste of money, noone would get any work done! (otherwise known as the RAF Ski Championships - that's another thread I know!)

Can we not agree that it's a nice gesture to conduct a flypast at a Charity event whilst 'seeing-off' one of our departing national teams in the process? BBMF/Reds/others conduct flypasts at school fairs & village fetes all the time without complaint - yet there is arguably less service benefit at such events than at the BIG TELEVISED CHARITY bash.

Ps. I can't stand the hosts either.
PPs. Let's hope that Peter Crouch is tying his laces as they go past - there could be an embarrassing incident!!

Krystal n chips
21st May 2006, 09:20
The main problem here is the delightful :hmm: couple in question. Explaining the significance of the BBMF and the aircraft may take a rather long time :rolleyes: --it's not like showing David a series of flip charts showing himself > football > foot > foot kicking football > goal > football in goal = this is what you have to do David ----now is it ?

On the other hand, to show their gratitude, maybe they could cough up the required amount to keep a certain Vulcan project flying--:hmm: promise them a back seat ride (in the bomb bay as they wouldn't know the difference anyway) , rotate when over a large stretch of deep water and bingo ! :E :ok:

threepointonefour
21st May 2006, 10:25
It's raining where I am - and the outlook isn't good.

{edited} Just read the Mail on Sunday's article. What a load of drivel. Those who seem to want to twist and demonise a simple gesture are the ones who are insensitive - it's such a shame that 'news' is spun this way, rather than reminding the young (and overpaid) footballers of today that they are representing their country as well as themselves. There can be few more British symbols than BBMF.

Note. I am aware that I use British for English etc - I for one would support the other teams were England not in the finals

Logistics Loader
21st May 2006, 14:18
As BBMF are flying the flag in support of England going to the World Cup, how about Messr's Beckham and the Rest of the squad make a donation to the Service charities...!!!!

After all, because of the dedication of countless crews during WWII, the likes of Beckham may well of been playing in "JackBooots"

spanishflea
21st May 2006, 15:30
I understand its been cancelled now. Probably due to the wx rather than anything else though.

Ewan Whosearmy
21st May 2006, 16:25
I understand its been cancelled now. Probably due to the wx rather than anything else though.

Canx'd due to the Beckhams backing the FA's 'Don't Mention The War' policy, apparently:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5002510.stm

VP8
21st May 2006, 18:32
Look East this evening said it was cancelled so as not to upset the host country:eek:

Talk about PC or what!!

VEEPS

Two's in
21st May 2006, 19:41
What utter twaddle. It's not as if they were going to raze Dresden again for old time's sake, it was a flypast over a tent! I'm only going to drink 6 Warsteiner's tonight in a silent protest against this PC tosh.

Jacks Down
21st May 2006, 20:38
Sorry chaps, but I'm not exactly the most PC guy around and even I can tell that a display by WWII aircraft to send the England squad off to a World Cup in Germany would have been the most massive PR bannana skin the RAF could have trodden on this year. The Reds would have been another matter. Good call to canx.

JD

Zoom
21st May 2006, 22:15
I agree, Jacks. Problem solved now, although arguments will now rage over who ordered/requested/organised/cancelled what and when.

Head to Earth
22nd May 2006, 07:47
V v simple.

Suggested to the Beckhams as an option to add to the flypast, considered by them and turned down at their request due to political unsuitability. Case closed. Oh well. It all worked out in the end, they got a top show anyway.

Skunkerama
22nd May 2006, 08:29
Irrespective of the flypast "gesture" (for charity, I would have welcomed it), but couldn't the money spent on this "bash" have been given direct to the charities concerned....??

[Oh, sorry, that would have meant no publicity for a bunch of over-paid prima-donnas.]

Or the chance for people who have got the money to have a good time with other people of the same ilk? Jees, I guess you'd give all of your fortune to charity would you?

I don't like the type of people that go to these do's but you can't slag em off for enjoying themselves. It smacks of jealosy.

mutleyfour
22nd May 2006, 09:01
Sorry chaps, but I'm not exactly the most PC guy around and even I can tell that a display by WWII aircraft to send the England squad off to a World Cup in Germany would have been the most massive PR bannana skin the RAF could have trodden on this year. The Reds would have been another matter. Good call to canx.
JD

But and its a massive one, we did actually win the war so why not rub noses. I for one am sick of being British but not! I am proud of the enormous sacrifices my grandfathers and their colleagues gave for this country. And yes maybe the Beckhams party isnt the right time, but lets not start this terrible downward spiral into "it might offend them".

Heaven forbid, next you'll be suggesting the Americans don't celebrate the day they kicked our Butts (its american for Ar*e)!

Its PC on after burner!

teeteringhead
22nd May 2006, 12:20
Irrespective of the flypast "gesture" (for charity, I would have welcomed it), but couldn't the money spent on this "bash" have been given direct to the charities concerned....??
...yes but...

...according to BBC this morning..

Cost of Bash = £500K

Proceeds of charity auction at said bash = £2M+

QED??

and less seriously ...

I presume that the same honour would be bestowed on the Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish teams if they made the finals ... don't hold yer breath ....:E

Flarkey
22nd May 2006, 12:41
http://www.heady.co.uk/b3ta/blitzb.jpg
http://www.heady.co.uk/b3ta/blitzb.jpg

brakedwell
22nd May 2006, 16:10
:}
That is assuming England isn't knocked out of the competition before they get thrashed by Germany:E

WHBM
22nd May 2006, 16:36
Is all academic as the cloudbase yesterday was about 500 ft and it chucked it down all day. So would never have happened.

Did they all get drenched ? :E

Green Flash
22nd May 2006, 17:15
500 ft cloudbase? - so who was the 4 x aero's I saw on the TV?

WHBM
22nd May 2006, 17:47
Surprising. Was duff in Central London all day long. Anyone got Stansted's weather for the day ?

bowly
22nd May 2006, 17:48
The Blades - Ex Reds and top civvy stunter.

www.2excelaviation.com