PDA

View Full Version : H24 airfields

nigelisom
19th May 2006, 22:07
Other than Southend, does anyone know of any GA friendly fields that operate H24, or at least late enough for night flying at this time of year?

Nigel

wet wet wet
20th May 2006, 16:23
Coventry operates 24/7 and is reasonably GA friendly, PPR required at night though - but shouldn't be a problem.

chevvron
20th May 2006, 17:26
Most airfields apart from those handling scheds and IT's have planning restrictions preventing this type of operation anyway.

IO540
20th May 2006, 18:00
My two H24 weather diversions are Southend and Cardiff.

CDH
20th May 2006, 19:03
Leeds Bradford is H24, but probably a bit too far for you to divert....:hmm:

nigelisom
20th May 2006, 19:37
Thanks Guys

Coventry sounds like a good option, but all useful ideas.

Any others?

Nigel

swervin'mervin
21st May 2006, 08:09
Coventry wont allow you to do circuits at night unless you are a based aircraft. Easy way round it to get one of the clubs at cov to do your night rating training.

nigelisom
21st May 2006, 09:16
Swervin'mervin

Thanks for that, I already have a night rating but I hate flying around in circles and like to go somewhere when I fly so was looking for destinations usable after dark.

Nigel

swervin'mervin
21st May 2006, 11:07
You wont have a problem then as they stay open for the freighters, if youre not training then come and go in the usual way! Be prepared to have to route to one of the VRPs inbound/outbound and watch out for Birminghams airspace above.

Have fun

justinmg
22nd May 2006, 16:35
Doncaster have reasonable fees and are H24, IIRC.

nigelisom
22nd May 2006, 20:34
Thanks all

I make that

Southend, Coventry, Cardiff, Leeds Bradford & Doncaster

Any more that anyone knows of or is that it?

Nigel

MEON VALLEY FLYER
23rd May 2006, 06:55
Been a while but Bournemouth used to be H24 and Exeter used to kick out freighters in the night.
Failing that when coming back to Southampton late at night, I did divert to Cherbourge once (i was over the channel at the time). Landing fee, taxi (2) hotel, meal and beer, still about half the £ 250 late landing fee EGHI charge (they closed at 9-30 in those days)

Chilli Monster
23rd May 2006, 08:44
Be very wary of airfields like Exeter who are promulgated open until early morning. Acceptance of movements is PPR only after a certain time, plus you may find yourself incurring additional charges. I would have a read of the UK AIP pages that refer to opening hours before commiting yourself.

Bournemouth is a case in point - their hours are published as being 0630-2130 local, yet we receive and send a mail flight to them in the couple of hours bracketing midnight. You might find yourself unwelcome after the published hours though.

Surprised nobody's mentioned East Midlands - very H24!

nigelisom
23rd May 2006, 11:50
Thanks Chilli Monster

You better believe I will check opening restrictions and fees before visiting any of these. My first post mentioned that I was looking for GA friendly fields, does East Midlands qualify on that count? I have never heard any comments either way.

Nigel

wet wet wet
23rd May 2006, 12:14
East Mids is around £50 - £60 (including the compulsary handling) for a light single, ATC very friendly. But they get very very busy during the hours of darkness, so you need to check whether you would be welcome then, and indeed whether the handling agent will be there at night!