PDA

View Full Version : Irish JAR-FCL in 43 Airschool SA

Dobo
19th May 2006, 19:31
Hi fellow Prunners
I am signed up and ready to make for South Africa next month on the Sigmar run programme in 43 Airschool Port Alfred. My question relates to the Medical required to do so.

I have already completed my PPL in the States having got a CAA Med 1 in Gatwick last year. In order to achieve an Irish awarded JAR-FCL, they are insisting on an IAA Med 1 as opposed to CAA Med 1. Is there some conversion of same that can be done? or is it really nescessary to have to go through the hoop again with the Mater Hospital in Dublin so soon after doing it all in Gatwick....anybody got any accurate views or similar experiences that you care to offer
:ugh:

Thanks
Dobo

speedrestriction
19th May 2006, 21:16
I got my IAA JAR Class 1 converted to a U.K. Class 1 three months ago without any difficulty. I thought they signed an agreement of mutual recognition a few months ago but I'm not sure.

sr

collie77
20th May 2006, 07:36
Hi Dobo
Im one of the Irish guys at 43 airschool. About 2 weeks ago our CFI was made travel from here to Dublin for 2 days just to do his medical exam. He already had a UK Class 1 medical and a South African class 1 medical. The chief doctor with the IAA made him do the full medical in Dublin before they would issue his license. Apparently the mutual recognition thing doesn't include the medical so they will probably make you do the full medical exam.

Dobo
22nd May 2006, 11:30
Thanks Collie, disappointing to hear as it is prob too tight to get a medical booked in and completed prior to leaving as I am due out there in a little over 4 weeks. The alternative of course is to leave it until I return which really is not the way to go about it....will look into dates with the mater.
Cheers
Dobo

clarityinthemurk
22nd May 2006, 12:03
"About 2 weeks ago our CFI was made travel from here to Dublin for 2 days just to do his medical exam. He already had a UK Class 1 medical and a South African class 1 medical"

Hmmm…you would think that any Class 1 from any JAA authority would be acceptable for an instructor, wouldn’t you?

There may be another issue at play here. Conduct of JAA training at overseas bases is controlled by JAR-FCL 1.055. This stipulates the facilities etc required, and in particular for integrated courses, the staff that must be present full-time - i.e. Head of Training, CFI and Chief Ground instructor (see Appendix 1a to 1.055).

Now it is my understanding that each of these three individuals must not only be qualified, but in the case of the CFI, and quite possibly the CGI, qualified under the JAA system, for the roles that they are to carry out. This is likely the very issue that is presenting such difficulties for Naples Air Centre in Florida in re-commencing their JAA training - the sourcing of appropriately qualified JAA instruction management.

These provisions I would suggest are for the protection and benefit of students - otherwise what is the point in undertaking a JAA course in the first place?

Any aviation authority would be very remiss to turn a blind eye to them.

>>> Edited to refine the JAA qualification requirement. If you really need to know, read the relavent section in the JAR or talk to your authority.

Martin1234
22nd May 2006, 13:03
otherwise what is the point in undertaking a JAA course in the first place?

How about getting a JAR licence?

justanotherflyer
1st Jun 2006, 15:15
About 2 weeks ago our CFI was made travel from here to Dublin for 2 days just to do his medical exam.

Does that imply that the school is conducting JAA training in SA under the auspices of the IAA? (i.e. as opposed to offering just SA PPL or pure hours building). If so that's an interesting development, given how protective the Irish were of their local FTOs a few years back.