PDA

View Full Version : Bourgas (BOJ) Airport, Bulgaria

the_fish@blueyonder.
19th May 2006, 12:37
Just booked a holiday in July to Bulgaria, and will be using Bourgas airport as my point of arrival and departure with First Choice from Glasgow.

Anyone have any information about the airport, such as facilities, efficiency etc?

Also, I haven't travelled with First Choice before (last time was back when they were Air 2000) so does anyone have any stories to tell about them?

I presume the aircraft will be an A320, but if anyone else knows any better then please enlighten me. :}

Thanks in advance.

Story
20th May 2006, 11:36
I flew to BOJ last June. We waited about 90 mins for bags after we landed.

Duty Free shop does not accept credit cards, only Bulgarian currency, but was very cheap for cigs, spirits. Not a great variety of fragrances and cosmetics though.

firstforfirstchoice
25th May 2006, 15:41
Hi ya,

I think First Choice base a B757-200 at Glasgow, so your flight should be operated by a B757-200, rather then a A320-200.

Cheers.

the_fish@blueyonder.
25th May 2006, 20:17
Thanks fro that aircraft update.

Whats the IFE like on first choice anyway?

I realise they wont have seatback screens, but do they 757's have fold down screens or big screens every few feet on the cabin roof?

Happyeater
25th May 2006, 21:35
We have an apartment in Bulgaria near to Bourgas. You'll find the airport on arrival very basic (although there are plans to upgrade it). Customs are painfully slow and the toilet facilities are limited to say the least so have a last wee on the aircraft before the bus takes you to the arrivals hall. There are few seats in the baggage hall so most stand about for the bags to arrive.

Sometimes they are reasonably quick, sometimes a 90 minute wait. Last summer flights from Sweden, Germany, Scotland and England arrived within half an hour and it was painfully slow. Just chill, they go at their speed. There were no places for drinks either that I can recall in the baggage area, carry water with you.

If you're making your own way from the airport there are plenty of taxi's outside at all hours, just fix a price before you get in. If going to Sunny Beach / St Vlas pay around 50 levs (£20) at most.

Departure lounge is mainly metal seats (like little bucket types) and uncomfortable. There is a small cafe with the usual coffee / tea/ cokes etc and snacks if peckish. The shop isn't too bad price wise for duty free stuff.

the_fish@blueyonder.
26th May 2006, 13:35
We have an apartment in Bulgaria near to Bourgas. You'll find the airport on arrival very basic (although there are plans to upgrade it). Customs are painfully slow and the toilet facilities are limited to say the least so have a last wee on the aircraft before the bus takes you to the arrivals hall. There are few seats in the baggage hall so most stand about for the bags to arrive.

Sometimes they are reasonably quick, sometimes a 90 minute wait. Last summer flights from Sweden, Germany, Scotland and England arrived within half an hour and it was painfully slow. Just chill, they go at their speed. There were no places for drinks either that I can recall in the baggage area, carry water with you.

If you're making your own way from the airport there are plenty of taxi's outside at all hours, just fix a price before you get in. If going to Sunny Beach / St Vlas pay around 50 levs (£20) at most.

Departure lounge is mainly metal seats (like little bucket types) and uncomfortable. There is a small cafe with the usual coffee / tea/ cokes etc and snacks if peckish. The shop isn't too bad price wise for duty free stuff.

Thanks, that is exactly the kind of info I was hoping for!

firstforfirstchoice
26th May 2006, 13:52
With regards to the IFE on FCA, it will depend which one of FCA's B757's operates on the route you are travelling on.
I have travelled on G-OOBF, which was delievered new from boeing to FCA in April 2004 and this has got to be one of the best B757's I have ever travelled on. The screens are all fold down and not in the aisle.
The interior was also very nice on this B757.

However also travelled on G-OOOG, now with Asteraus, the TV's were located in the aisle, and not fold down, due to the aircraft been much older.

Don't know about the rest of the fleet, but I would imagine the
G-OOBA/B/C/D/E//G/H/I/J fleet are the same as G-OOBF, but don't know.

Not sure about G-OOOK/X/Z and G-CPEP/U/V either, but you will find out soon enough, let us know won't you.

Hope you have a nice trip and hol.

Cheers.:ok: :ok:

the_fish@blueyonder.
26th May 2006, 20:48
With regards to the IFE on FCA, it will depend which one of FCA's B757's operates on the route you are travelling on.
I have travelled on G-OOBF, which was delievered new from boeing to FCA in April 2004 and this has got to be one of the best B757's I have ever travelled on. The screens are all fold down and not in the aisle.
The interior was also very nice on this B757.

However also travelled on G-OOOG, now with Asteraus, the TV's were located in the aisle, and not fold down, due to the aircraft been much older.

Don't know about the rest of the fleet, but I would imagine the
G-OOBA/B/C/D/E//G/H/I/J fleet are the same as G-OOBF, but don't know.

Not sure about G-OOOK/X/Z and G-CPEP/U/V either, but you will find out soon enough, let us know won't you.

Hope you have a nice trip and hol.

Cheers.:ok: :ok:

Thanks for that, I'll let you know when I get home (not going till July mind you so this thread will probabaly have dissaeared by then).

I remember back in the Air 2000 days that the screens were all aisle monitors.

In January I was on a BA 757 coming back from LHR to EDI, the aisle screens weren't used at all. I thought they might have shown the in flight map at least, like the A319 had on the way down, but they just stayed blank.

I hope they use them for something on my flight from BUD-LHR this August, which I am assuming is done by the 757, as this is what is shown on the timetable and my booking details.

Thanks again. :cool:

Happyeater
26th May 2006, 21:00
Thanks, that is exactly the kind of info I was hoping for!

Very welcome. Where you staying? If you need any additional info feel free to pm me.

firstforfirstchoice
28th May 2006, 07:57
Yeah deffo let us know how the trip went, I fly with FCA to Las Palmas in June on a B757-200, will let you know about the aircraft.

Cheers.

the_fish@blueyonder.
28th May 2006, 13:31
Yeah deffo let us know how the trip went, I fly with FCA to Las Palmas in June on a B757-200, will let you know about the aircraft.

Cheers.

That would be great.

Have the shorthaul FC 757's been recently updated inside or was it just thier Longhaul aircraft (I think i read that on here anyway).

I've been on several 757's in my time, and have yet to dislike a flight on one, so I'm hoping this summer wont be any different. :cool:

firstforfirstchoice
28th May 2006, 15:06
It is just the B767-300 fleet that has been updated.- For their new star class services on their long haul flights.

But if all of FCA's B757-200's are like G-OOBF, then their interior will not need updating.
But as I mentioned in one of my messages earlier, this particular aircraft was delievered new direct from Boeing in April 2004, so this B757 is one of the last that came of the production line, due to Boeing stopping the production of the B757 fleet. G-OOBF has not been with any other airlines, while the majority of the FCA B757-200 fleet have come from other airlines, or on lease.
So I think G-OOBF is the exception of the rule, if you know what I mean.
I have travelled on many B757-200's before and this is deffo the best one, but I think what ever FCA B757-200 aircraft you travel on, (and me in june) I think the aircraft should be fine, but the newer the better, as some of the B757's out their today, are a little worn and torn.

But I still love the B757-200 and long live that aircraft!!

Hope that helps, cheers. :ok: :ok: