PDA

View Full Version : What should i do?

Jesus_Reloaded
19th May 2006, 03:20
This is my first time using this forum so i might get things wrong here.

i really wanna fly a friggin plane:sad: . i want to be a commercial pilot.

Okay, i am 13 years old and i have a few question to ask and here it is

1. Is there any subjects for me to ace in order to get in a flying school? What subjects should i take when i am in Year 10-13? i really dont know

I might ask more questions when i get a reply:p

J_R

scruggs
19th May 2006, 07:35
Jesus,

From the pilots and flying schools I've spoken with, they all seem to suggest that maths and physics are probably two of the more important subjects to study - probably through to A-Level. Before anyone jumps down my throat, I know you don’t have to be a mathematician or physicist to pass the ATPL exams, but I think being comfortable with those subjects helps.

Personally, I'd go at least as far as A-Levels, and I'd recommend a degree too. But, there are many pilots here without degrees, so I guess that one is down to you mate.

But yeah, personally I think maths and physics are the two key subjects to become familiar with.

BUT...don't take them just because you feel you should, I took those because I enjoyed them (the nerd I am). Take the options you think you will enjoy and excel at.

Best of luck.

eP.

mackey
19th May 2006, 08:35
Jesus,
When I started the ATPL course, I had been an industrial plumbing and heating engineer for 16 years and had left school with no academic qualifications. But after alot of study I am the proud owner of an FATPL MEP/CPL/IR. So it is possible to get to where you want to be with out having loads and loads of qualifications.....I'm proof!!, but as you are only young I would suggest not doing it my way as I found the course very challenging :ugh: , if you study hard now then studying later won't be a problem and it will save alot of late nights!!:zzz: as I know other people reading this would agree!!
As for which subjects to study at school, study the subjects you want to learn, but as easy pilot say's maths and physics are good one's to have ( even though I don't!!).
Hope this is of some help,
M.

Jesus_Reloaded
19th May 2006, 10:32
Thanks a lot both of you, i appreciate your concern and help:) if i have any other questions..i would put it down sooner or later..

thanks a big ;)

J_R:ok:

scroggs
19th May 2006, 11:18
Read this thread. (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=131649) Many of your questions will already have been answered here.

Scroggs

Jesus_Reloaded
21st May 2006, 02:02
by the time i get to let say for example 20 and i have good degrees and so on..technology might have already changed..there might not even need a pilot to fly a plane:{ i went inside a cockpit which was shown by the captain himself and i saw how different it was 2-3 years ago. I dont know how fast technology would grow..should i still try my best to fufill my dreams and trying my best to improve my poor:( maths and pretty good science:8 or not.

scroggs
21st May 2006, 09:41
If I understand you correctly (and you don't make it easy!), you are worried that aircraft will not need pilots in a few years' time? Don't be. Commercial aircraft have a working life of 25 to 30 years currently, and that is likely to increase. No airliner currently in production or envisaged has less than two pilots. If Airbus and Boeing decided tomorrow that their next generation of airliners would be flown by computers and not pilots, the design and certification process would be the most protracted, demanding and difficult ever seen in aviation and would likely take 5 to 10 years longer than for a 'conventional' aircraft. That means the earliest a remotely-piloted airliner could be in service is 20 years or so from now. At the same time, piloted airliners would still be rolling off the production lines. By my reckoning, that means that even if no more piloted airliners were made from the date the new technology entered service, there would still be piloted airliners around for the next 50 years.

That's if we can find the oil to power them!

Scroggs

Jesus_Reloaded
22nd May 2006, 08:23
Youre my man scroggs, thanks

Danny_manchester
22nd May 2006, 17:46
Go for the subjects that you can do well in. Better having impressive grades in lets say english than a fail in physics/mathematics.

A B in physics and mathematics (higher paper) will be sufficient, don't feel that As/A2's are needed, they are not. (I think cabair want passes at higher tier mathematics and physics standard to be accepted onto AB Initio course).

Good luck.

P.s. onv. If you are good at maths and physics, take them - as for a degree, its your choice.

RYR-738-JOCKEY
22nd May 2006, 18:21
There is not one particular way to become a pilot. When I ask my colleagues, they always have different answers, but one thing is quite general. Everyone who wants to become an airline pilot needs to be highly devoted. You will need to sacrifice alot, and you will have to achieve on tests all the way from the start. So it really doesn't matter if you ace maths now, but you will for sure have to prove your proficiency later on. What is quite typical is that many pilots did rather poor in school, but they obviously had what it takes at a later stage. The thing is, if you have a thousand 13-year-olds wanting to become pilots, you won't have near that amount in the final end. So if you really want this, then joining this network is a really good place to start and use every possibility to give yourself a headstart on all the others...

Danny_manchester
22nd May 2006, 19:58
Indeed you will have to prove proficiency in mathematics later on, but by no means do you need to be an ace student to become a pilot. Just keep working at it, and try and fund a lesson every now and again, you never know, sometime throughout school/college, you may feel drawn towards another career.

Good luck.

Jesus_Reloaded
24th May 2006, 09:52
But as i advance or get to a higher grade, the school would be changing from MYP to IB system so there would be no more A levels nor O levels and how am i suppose to achieve the things i want if there is no passing or distiction grade. They mark 1 to 7.

what happens now??? When i get to Year 13, there would be a worldwide external exam. Is the external exam hard? if i screw that up, would i still be able to fufill my dreams lol..

I am pretty confused now..suggest subjects i should do ahhhh:mad: ..i aint that good in maths but i am pretty good in science as i say again. So when i get to Year 10, i would choose physics as main and what else...eek:confused:

Danny_manchester
24th May 2006, 10:20
Edit that:- I think for the O level standard the subjects you take are pretty irrelevant, and it is the 'A level' choice which is important.

Obviously the HK way of education is slightly different to over here in the UK, and this is why you may have problems finding advice - take a broad range of subjects, all of which you are good at may be a good start. (physics, 2nd language, geography, ICT, Biology, Mathematics ??)

Good luck!

captainyonder
25th May 2006, 00:57
I'm ashamed to say I got a D at GCSE physics and C at GCSE Maths, but somehow I still managed to get my licence (albeit an FAA one which I am now in the process of converting) and a job (Which I recently lost due to my employer getting rid of it's charter fleet!).

I was never motivated at school, but worked hard when it came to my flying. I'm now having to study once again, this time to convert my licence to a JAA one which means doing all 14 ground exams. But, despite my poor grades at school, I'm devoted to my end goal and have taken a job as cabin crew in the meantime while I finish studying.

Work hard at school, but focus on subjects that interest you, not what you feel airlines and FTOs want to see. If you stay interested, you are much more likely to succeed. Good luck!

Edited to say my grades weren't all bad! Got a lot of A's and B's!!! Just not in subjects that would directly help me in my future career!

Jesus_Reloaded
28th May 2006, 06:36
i have got a flight sim 2004 but if i am getting a joystick, do i get the normal joysticks or the pilot ones(if there is any). Well if there is, where to buy them:p ?

You can start taking flying lessons when you are 14 or is it information and equipment inside the cockpit?:confused:

scroggs
28th May 2006, 09:27
Gentlemen, we have a Computer and Internet forum for asking questions about such things. This is not the right place. In fact, you'd be better still going to Avsim or similar websites if you wish to discuss MSFS2004. This forum is strictly for those engaged in, or about to start, professional flying training.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy to see you youngsters here and asking questions, but please try not to drag your subjects away from what we're here for. Other sites deal far better with some of the stuff you're straying towards.

As for academic subjects, you'll note that there is an active topic right now about A-levels. The subject has come up many times before, as well. Unfortunately, it is one of those areas where every current and recent schoolboy or girl thinks they're an expert, and where rumour and assumption seem to carry more weight than knowledge of the market. So I will say this only once! It is important that you chieve good grades in Mathematics, one science subject, and English at GCSE. These three things (in a total collection of at least 5 GCSEs at grade C or above) will be demanded by almost any career that an air-minded person might consider. Your choice of subject at A-level or degree is entirely your own.

There has been only one airline in the last few years that has demanded Maths at A-level. Anecdotal evidence suggests that they have struggled to get a good number of applicants with such a qualification. No other airline has made such a stipulation, and it's unlikely they ever will. It is, however, likely that A-levels will be the minimum entry standard for most sponsorships and 'mentored' courses (such as Oxford's APP), and for ab-initio pilot selection for many airlines, before too many more years have passed.

When selecting subjects for A-levels, or a degree, pick ones that interest you and to which you will be able to apply yourselves with effort and enthusiasm. There is nothing worse than taking a subject which you feel you ought to, and finding that you dislike and even resent it, and end up failing it. On the other hand, avoid subjects which appear to offer an easy route to an A-level or a degree. Employers are well aware of the relative merits and difficulty of various subjects - many of the people who interview and select you will have children at school or university, and they will be well-informed in things academic.

So, to put it as simply as possible: you do not need Maths and Physics at A-level. You would be well-advised to do A-levels, however. A degree is not necessary, and is unlikely to carry a great deal of weight at interview - your personality is far more important. But don't let that stop you doing one; three years at university is a rewarding and enriching experience, which will open your eyes to many more possibilities in life.

Scroggs

seafood
5th Jun 2006, 03:51
Hi Jesus,

Don't play too much fs on computer, it will deteriate your eyes. Although some pilots do wear glasses. But airliner prefer perfect eyesight when you start your flight career as them anticipate your eyesight to deteriate over age. I was told of this by a pilot who once interviewed candidates for cadet pilots in CX. Make sure you are healthy and normal. This is something more difficult to change as you are born this way. Medical examination may check if you have any scares (from surgery). Look up personality profiles of commercial pilots and see if you have those personality traits (Let me know if you find such tests on the net). Better get you driver's license first as this may help how you coordinate your limbs and reactions to environment. I heard that you can apply and re-apply CX CPP every 12 months. So you have 5 years to prepare and you are young enough to re-try if just in case other candidates are more competitive than you in a particular year.

Good luck and work hard.