PDA

View Full Version : SAR Pre - Select

shandyman
19th May 2006, 00:05
I expect this to be a short thread but would appreciate some advice from those in the know. Currently on Nimrods and am applying for S'n'R Helo's. I understand that I will attend a SAR pre selection process. I wondered if any of you Ppruners could advise me on what to expect and how I can, if at all possible, enhance my chances of a successful outcome. SAR has been an ambition for a long time and I would hate to biff it at the first stage! Thanks for taking the time . . .

TigerWhite
19th May 2006, 00:20
Shandyman

I am at SARTU at the moment and will ask around. Hopefully be back to you on Monday.

Green Flash
19th May 2006, 08:59
Shandyman
Why not nip over to 202? (Quick, mind, before they are privatised!).

SARREMF
19th May 2006, 21:47
The selection course is designed to do exactly what it says on the can - select you for SAR duties. You do not need to have any expereince - although it might be prudent to take the advice of Green Flash and visit 202 - you have a while before SAR-H comes along - as at least it shows that you are keen and, you might not like flying in a helicopter, better to know now!

The course is designed to show you what to do, then you repeat it. It is not only how well you repeat it that you will be marked on. Its your attitude, your ability to soak up instruction and you obviously need an aptitude to pass. I'm afraid the last part you either have it or you dont - with no loss of face if you dont either.

The only real prep you could really do is swim - lots not just the swim test but really swim so that yuo are uterly comfortable in the water. Your fitness levels will be looked at, you will spend time in the water under a helicopter and it is very hard work if you are not used to it or unfit. SO, get running and swimming and thats probably the best prep you can do. Good luck, hope you make it.

shandyman
20th May 2006, 00:39
Thanks very much for the replys. I will take all the advice offered and put it to good use. Once more, thanks for taking the time to offer it up, an excellent illustration of the use of Pprune!

Cheers . . . .Shandyman

Jerry Can
20th May 2006, 10:18
Check your PM's mate.

JC

No Vote Joe
20th May 2006, 10:43
As the previous guys state, you either have it or you ain't!

However, the dim and dark days at SARTU have passed (they used to assess you as you walked across the car park and would black ball some there and then!!), and most of the instructors there are very keen to get you through.
Although remember that they will be looking at PQ's and asking "Would I like to spend 24 hrs on shift with this Geezer?!" Although it doesn't carry as much weight as it used to.

If you do get selected there is some sort of helo experience course for a few hours prior to starting the main course proper.

All in all, go and enjoy! Be enthusiastic, ask questions if you don't understand and what will be will be!

heights good
21st May 2006, 12:46
Phone SARTU and ask for any course notes before you head down. Get hold of some Support helicopter SOPs and get confident and conversant with voice marshalling and all the standard terms and phrases (SAR have a few of there own)
Visit the SAR guys down the road from you as Lossiemouth and speak to them. Ask them what to expect (i have a mate that has not long left SARTU and is at Lossie now.) They will be more than happy to help and show off what the world of SAR is all about. The guys there might have course notes etc. If you can get on a training trip with them, brilliant, this will give you a massive insight as too what SARTU is all about.

The biggest problem for guys who come from a non-rotary background is having to adjust to operating a helicopter as well as the SAR aspect. Speak to as many guys from the SAR world as you can. You could even try DHFS at Shawbury for some hints and tips or even a look see for a day or 2 on your way too valley.

Hope this helps.