PDA

View Full Version : Minimum interval between failed exam and retake?

Happy Wanderer
18th May 2006, 17:29
Failed my Nav paper today by one question :{

Only consolation was that I got all the techy/chart Qs correct. Call it sour grapes, but the wording of some of these questions (and answers) is like splitting hairs time.

Anyway . . . does anyone know how soon I can retake the bl00dy paper? I've had a look through LASORS, the CAA website :zzz: and can't see anything.

Any help, glady rec'd.

HW

dwshimoda
18th May 2006, 17:36
HW,

Are you talking about PPL level? If so, I don't believe there is an interval you need to wait. Your FTO should be best placed to tell you, but I'm pretty sure you can sit a different paper almost immediately.

And you're right, I've still not worked out if the way the CAA word questions is deliberate, or because they can't phrase a question properly!

Good luck with the re-take.

DW.

ariel
18th May 2006, 17:45
Hi Happy

You need to wait one week before you can retake Nav exam

regards, ariel

Happy Wanderer
18th May 2006, 17:46
Hi DW,

Yep, it's PPL. The CFI who administered the exam reckoned it was 14 days, but I can't see that confirmed anywhere. If it's not in LASORS, perhaps there isn't a rule.

Would be keen to retake ASAP, and get on with Met. Having got top marks in the two papers done so far, today was a bit of a let down.

HW

Maxflyer
18th May 2006, 18:09
How did you know which ones you got right and wrong? I thought they only showed you your results if you passed?

Happy Wanderer
18th May 2006, 20:33
Max,

For the 3 PPLs done so far, I've sat down with the examiner straight after the exam and worked through the paper, obviously focusing on any incorrect answers. We spent some time on a few of the Nav questions today, but it was time well spent in my view. All part of the learning process I guess, and particularly worthwhile if you've got an examiner can help explain and clarify some of those hair-splitting questions.

The differences between the four possible answers provided for SOME (but not all) questions are often not distinct enough, at least in my view. I've got direct experience of scripting multi-choice questions like these (albeit not aviation-related) and there's quite a science to it. Distinction, if that's the right word, is a key part of it.

HW

DFC
18th May 2006, 22:25
1. The Examminer should not discuss in detail each question.

2. You should have received a piece of paper saying that you have failed, why you failed and what you need to do before retaking the exam. You should have signed the slip which is in triplicate - 1 for you, 1 for the examiner and 1 for the CAA.

3. Having completed the extra study listed on the sheet and your RTF/FTO being happy, you can sit the exam again. This could be 1 month, 1 week, 1 day, 1 hour or 1 minute.

4. If the exam is failed 3 times, the next step is a special exam at Gatwick.Not good for student or RTF!

Regards,

DFC

acuba 290
19th May 2006, 02:07
i am also afraid very much of NAV exam. Trying to get answer with CRP-1 and PPL-Confuser and getting wrong results. If i do it with ASA-2 Calculator, everything is correct. For example in PPL-Confuser nav questions 4,5,6....:confused:
Wenn i do same content questions like 1,2, and 3 everything correct...

hope one day CAA accepts electronic calculators like other westeuropean JAA-countries (for example Germany) do

Happy Wanderer
19th May 2006, 10:20
Hi acuba,

I agree with you about the Confuser and the Nav questions. Having worked through all 122 of them (sad or what), one or two answers are definately incorrect, and like you, I can't see how the answers to Q5 and Q6 have been arrived at. Pays to be on your guard then, and don't always accept the stated answers as gospel.

DFC - thanks for the clarification on this, ie what's SUPPOSED to happen. From the PMs I've rec'd, clearly this isn't necessarily common practice in exam world.

HW

acuba 290
19th May 2006, 11:53
Hi acuba,

I agree with you about the Confuser and the Nav questions. Having worked through all 122 of them (sad or what), one or two answers are definately incorrect, and like you, I can't see how the answers to Q5 and Q6 have been arrived at

HW

funny, that ASA-2 calculator give me this answers exactly like in Confuser, but not CRP self...strange...