PDA

View Full Version : EWR-SIN A340-500

Lee@LPL
16th May 2006, 15:16
Hi folks, just bin having a quick browse on airliners.net and noticed that the longest current commercial flight is EWR-SIN at 18 half hours long. I noticed from some of the pictures that it flies across the pond, over europe and through over east and central asia, surely the quicker route is to fly over the north pole and down the coast of Japan like cathay pacific do when they fly to Hong Kong from EWR?

Hopefully someone has the answer to my question!!!!

Regards Lee@LPL

Lee@LPL
16th May 2006, 15:56
Buster Cherry check ur PM'S

MarkD
17th May 2006, 03:46
Flying over pole is tricky due magnetic pole, fewer GPS satellites and higher than normal radiation levels. Plus in the bad old days getting a route over USSR/China was trickier.

Magoodotcom
17th May 2006, 07:12
Lee, good point made but I have a feeling the Aircraft/ Carrier may not have the approved ETOPS rule to fly over the north pole or thereabouts . Haven`t any specifics to hand,but I suspect a lack of Adequate/Suitible alternates within 180 mins (if this is the rule).
The carrier will not waste fuel / time if a more economical routeing is availible. (i.e overfly costings/ fuel etc)
Hope this helps.
Buster

(Forgot to mention, There is a possibiliy of the lack of airways/ ATC for a great deal of the distance required to fly this routeing to achieve a realistic/safe flight for passenger carrage at this moment in time.)

ETOPS? For a quad like the A345?

Buster Cherry
17th May 2006, 08:21
OOPS, Forgot, 4 engines :uhoh: (was thinking A330) & yes, I am aware it won`t have the range(Bladdered last night methinks!!:ugh: )