PDA

View Full Version : multiple sclerosis

Scandinavian
16th May 2006, 06:05
Hi guys,

One of my very close friends - longhaul pilot - has just got the message from his doctor; multiple sclerosis. He does not have any symptoms and have only had one minor attack - which he has fully recovered from.

Does anyone here have any knowledge of pilots and MS. Also if you know of any pilots who still flies with MS.

Any info is highly appriciated

All the best

parkfell
16th May 2006, 06:13
One possible outcome is that he will be restored to flying once the paper trail etc is complete, but with a multicrew only limitation on his class one medical.

The condition progresses at a very slow rate in medical terms - with any changes reported to the AME or NAA medical department.

BelfastChild
16th May 2006, 07:51
multiple sclerosis. He does not have any symptoms and have only had one minor attack

If he has truly only had one attack then the diagnosis of MS is a bit presumptive. MS is a clinical diagnosis requiring at least two attacks separated in time which affect different parts of the central nervous system. There is no investigation which can definitively diagnose MS (although plaques on MRI can be suggestive)

airborne_artist
16th May 2006, 08:18
Parkfell

While the condition progresses slowly, an attack can progress quite quickly, certainly in 24-48 hours. Since attacks can affect eyesight as well as any motor nerve, there are significant implications for professional pilots.

Scandi

The difficulty with MS is that at diagnosis (subject to BC's comments) there is no indication of the rate of progression of the MS. I've seen people struck down by it quite quickly and in a wheelchair within a couple of years, and there are others whose progression is very slow.

My wife was diagnosed 20 years ago. Her first symptoms were visual disturbances, which are common, but not often followed up. Only when she had problems playing tennis did she go to a physician. She has since had three children, but does have problems with stamina, and has a limp following attacks to the R side of her body. She certainly would not be able to hold down the job of LH pilot even if she could pass the class 1 with restrictions.

At this stage your friend will be feeling very worried about his future, so do what you can to support him. It's very tough.