PDA

View Full Version : Cessna hours - please read

icepilot
15th May 2006, 22:13
Hi,

I´m going to the U.S.A. in september to build 150-200 hours, I was there over a year ago in Arizona, and am thinking of going there again.

I know a few ferry pilots, that fly Cessna 152´s/172´s from Canada to Europe with huge extra fuel tanks in the back and 12-14 hours flight endurance.

The question I´m asking, does anyone know of a place in the U.S. that offer that kind of planes for rent? I would love to be able to fly for 8-10 hours, even more, without landing. It´s not very appealing to fly 200 hours and always have to stop for refueling every 3-4 hours...

Any information greatly appriciated,

Please contact me at [email protected]

Best regards

Leezyjet
15th May 2006, 22:33
I would love to be able to fly for 8-10 hours, even more, without landing.

That would be great providing you have an 8-10 hour bladder to match !!

:E

FlyingForFun
16th May 2006, 08:29
I don't know for certain, but I think it's unlikely.

A student of mine recently bought a C172 and had it flown over from the US to the UK. The aircraft's tech log contains about a billion entries - entries for fitting long range tanks, for removing long range tanks, certifying the aircraft for overweight take-off, maintenance checks following an overweight flight, etc, etc, etc. I get a very definite impression that it's something which is only done for ferry flights when there is no other option. I would guess there is legislation which enforces this, but I'm afraid I don't know where that would be.

FFF
-------------

Sensible
16th May 2006, 09:53
I think the fuel burn alone would scare most people away from carrying all that extra weight for no other reason than you cant be bothered to do landings! In any event, a lot of flying experience is gained during take offs and landings so I'm not sure what the advantage is. Do you want autopilot too?

Superpilot
16th May 2006, 10:58
Oyh Sensible!

Weren't you one of the Original Wannabe's? What happened to you, what you up to these days? :)

Pilot Pete
16th May 2006, 11:05
Icepilot

I think you want your head examining.

PP

Keygrip
16th May 2006, 12:50
I wonder what the security guys would say.

Foreign national, student pilot, training towards commercial pilots licence, wants to load a small aircraft with the absolute maximum amount of volatile fuel possible and then fly it, solo, from (or near) to Phoenix (one of the most humongously large cities I have ever seen from the air - and about an hour and a bit from Los Angeles city centre).....because he/she/it doesn't want to do landings.

I can see a raised eyebrow here and there, can't you?

Sensible
16th May 2006, 13:12
Superpilot, I'm just a fun pilot, something to do with age! I have achieved everything that I wanted, that is to fly for fun. The extra training is just something which I did in line with my ambition to survive the flying experience!

As the man who introduced me to flying said "a PPL is just a licence to learn about flying" How so very true!