PDA

View Full Version : Revision Aids ?

speedbird001
15th May 2006, 20:51
HI All,
I'm currently doing my ATPL ground school via distance learning with OAT, for some one who is completely useless at making notes and a brain like a sieve :ugh: what good revision materials are out there that focus on the key points necessary to pass the exams ?
The trouble is, like most students ( I think ) once we've read a frame or two and moved on I feel like I've totally forgot what was in the last one I read before :{
A couple of people I've asked said just read the material then rely on the BGS online Q Bank to get exam ready, any one else got any ideas ??
Cheers
SB001

helicopter-redeye
15th May 2006, 20:56
Make notes in the margin of the book as you go (as a summary of what is there in the OAT books).

Then on short finals to the exams summarised each paper into 2 or 3 pages of key points/ formulae/ mnemonics/ checklists and do loadsa questions.

h-r;)

Callsign Kilo
15th May 2006, 21:02
I am currently doing my first module which consists of GNAV, MET, Mass and Balance and POF. With subjects such as Nav and M&B I find that by continually doing as many worked examples and exam type questions as possible really helps to get what you should be doing into your head.

As for Met, the OAT CD ROM is a great interactive tool and has proven invaluable (to both me and those I know who have used it to pass the exam). As for POF, its a bit of a wordy subject which can be a bit confusing. I find learning it through various diagrams and how these interact beats trying to manipulate a load of jargon which was best left in the physics classroom at school!

Con-Trail
15th May 2006, 22:09
If you only want to concentrate on passing the exams the best thing to do is trying to get your hands on as many feedback questions as possible.

OAT has loads, they also have a CD-rom with feedback on it. There is feedback circulating from Bristol and I've also seen some Italian feedback..

C-T

Gordon Bennet
16th May 2006, 02:03
There are keynotes around, I think, but they don't cover everything. JAR Professional Pilot Studies by Phil Croucher has a good overview.

G

speedbird001
18th May 2006, 08:49
Thanks for your advice guys, the thing is though is note taking, I can't seem to sort out what is important and what isn't, I've tried many times and ended up with more notes than there is in the manuals :uhoh:
I just wanted something that would condense it or as you say keynotes or facts things with all the formula etc, G, I've had a look for that book you mentioned and it sounds pretty good, might be worth a go all the same.
SB001 :ok:

Con-Trail
18th May 2006, 09:50
In the beginning I went through the feedback questions with the book in my other hand. It takes a long time to do 1 question at first but as you do more questions, you will find a "pattern" apearing.

C-T