PDA

View Full Version : Royal Naval AIB / Aptitude testing

sonix
14th May 2006, 14:08
Hi all, hope you can offer some advice!?

I am due to complete a series of aptitude tests at RAF Cranwell soon for the FAA and hopefully off to Dartmouth for an AIB. Any advice or information would be of great help to anyone who has gone through the same rigors. I am applying for Aircrew Officer - Observer.

Many thanks

joe2812
14th May 2006, 14:26
You could try here:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=166273&highlight=OASC

And more specifically here:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=150251

Can't offer any first hand advice like most though, so best of luck.

Taffer
14th May 2006, 16:46
Sonix,

The AIB is due to move to Dartmouth in the near future, but is still based at HMS SULTAN in Gosport. The current C-Block at BRNC is due to get the makeover treatment and become the new AIB building. AFAIK, the candidates will eat in the Junior Gun Room, along with Phase 1, Ark Royal (flight) Phase and Pre-IST cadets.

The aptitude testing at OASC is nothing to be too scared about. Gen up on your mental arithmetic, knowledge of the six basic flying instruments, and try to improve your hand-eye coordination (play a few computer games!). Although you can prepare to a certain extent, the tests are designed to assess natural ability, so you either 'have it' or you don't.
The AIB has been explained in many threads here. Your pre-joining pack will give you all the information you need to know about the tests involved. Study your maths, English, naval knowledge for the written tests. For the command tasks, don't rush into things when leading, but still maintain a sense of urgency. As a group member, offer suggestions without trying to take over the task. During the written planning task, make sure you communicate your ideas with the group, and ensure that you prioritise objectives in the exercise. At the final interview, just be honest. You are being assessed on who you are, not some persona you've created for yourself.

Once you're at BRNC, your toughest task as an observer will be grading. Two weeks of phase 2 will be spent at Culdrose, doing simulated missions and actual ones in a Jetstream. If you fail it, you're chopped, although you may get the option of transferring to another (non-flight) branch. We felt quite sorry for the observers in our phase, as our 3 weeks of flying grading at 727 sqn were fairly relaxed.

What happens afterwards I can't really comment on, as I'm still to experience it!

Best of luck with your tests,

Taffer

scottishbeefer
14th May 2006, 16:53
Me- pilot. However, I know plenty of blokes who have instructed/are instructors on 750 NAS. Much as I enjoy mocking the self-loading baggage, the Basic Observer Course (BOC) is frikkin' hard. The boys & girls who get through have done a good job.

But! Why just Observer? Age presumably? Eyesight?

Good luck anyway - there's NO comparison between an observer and a navigator, they're chalk and cheese, ferrari and rover city car! (Please don't tell any observers I said so).)

SB

sonix
14th May 2006, 19:29
Cheers guys, the threads/links have helped to answer a few of my queries. I originally wanted to go for pilot but could only be offered an age waiver for Obs. I'd prefer to get into the flying/aircrew environment but at the end of the day my main focus is becoming commissioned if for whatever reason I dont succeed at my desired area.

Correct me please if wrong, but I did hear Obs is one if not the hardest course to pass!? What generally is the main buld of BOC - DR, VFR?

mlc
14th May 2006, 22:03
Sonix,

The AIB is due to move to Dartmouth in the near future, but is still based at HMS SULTAN in Gosport. The current C-Block at BRNC is due to get the makeover treatment and become the new AIB building. AFAIK, the candidates will eat in the Junior Gun Room, along with Phase 1, Ark Royal (flight) Phase and Pre-IST cadets.

Nice to see C block getting a makeover. Called the old place home during my days with Cunningham Division.
A useful piece of advice. If you do get accepted, don't fall into the trap of swaggering around with the 'I'm aircrew' mentality. There was many a person trying to repair the damage when they were re-appointed to Seamen Officer after failing grading. They had a hard time.
Build bridges, don't burn them.
Good luck.