PDA

View Full Version : I need a suggestion!

tablet_eraser
14th May 2006, 11:40
I have a close friend who is commissioned as a USAF officer next weekend. I've been trying to find a miniature RAF officers' sword to send him, but it seems they're not sold any more.

Someone, PLEASE, suggest an alternative gift! I've looked through books, fountain pens, memorabilia, and I can't think of anything that would be a good gift to a close friend at such an important time for him. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

:)

t_e

Roadster280
14th May 2006, 12:35
Errr.... how about miniature USAF sword?

I'd have thought they are a whole lot easier to find on the internet. US military is very high profile over here, all kinds of mementoes available. Even in the local Walmart!

It would also be quicker to have it delivered over here from over here, and no customs issues with importing weapons. Yes, they are that anal...

Just a thought. Congratulations to your friend. Let him keep me safe.

tablet_eraser
14th May 2006, 12:51
Cheers, Roadster - I wanted to give him something to keep me in mind, hence the RAF sword. I'll look into the USAF suggestion, though!

:ok:

airborne_artist
14th May 2006, 12:58
RAF cuff links? Light and easy to post, and even Uncle Sam couldn't think they were a weapon, or could he?

tablet_eraser
14th May 2006, 13:36
aa, I'd thought of that. I'm looking for something a little more special - a minature sword would be ideal, but they're not sold any more. :mad:

brickhistory
14th May 2006, 13:47
T.E.,

Is your friend going into the same career path as you serve? If so, do you have a brevet/badge? That'd be a nice touch. If not, then one from whatever path he is going into would lend a nice 'RAF' touch.

Brian Dixon
14th May 2006, 14:13
What about an RAF swagger stick?

Congrats to your friend.

Winco
14th May 2006, 15:14
What about these.....
http://www.terrane.co.uk/ProductDetail.asp?Cat1=90&Cat2=&Cat3=&CodeSearch=&Cat1Sub=&Cat2Sub=&Cat3Sub=&ProductID=3831
The Winco

airborne_artist
14th May 2006, 15:23
How about an RAF rucksack? :p

SASless
14th May 2006, 15:30
How about a small American Flag (say about 18-24 inches wide) and pocket sized Bible. If you have photos of his family then you have it made. Remind him of why he serves....Family, God and Country. If he serves in a manner to honour all three he will be a success.

Farmer 1
14th May 2006, 15:46
Cheers, Roadster - I wanted to give him something to keep me in mind, hence the RAF sword. I'll look into the USAF suggestion, though!
:ok:

If you decide on a sword, you do realise he will need to pay you for it?

effortless
14th May 2006, 15:55
I had a similar friend back in the 70s. I gave him my chip bag hat and he gave me his Zippo. I still have the Zippo and treasure it. I wonder what he used the chip bag for.

MajorMadMax
14th May 2006, 18:11
Second the cufflinks suggestion, he can wear them with his mess dress uniform and remember you everytime he goes to a dining-in, etc.

However, some new officers are more timid when it comes to bending the rules and wearing unauthorized trinkets. But I knew guys who wore their father's mess dress ranks despite the fact that it was obvious they were not the latest version (darked color and a different button at the top). They would rather make a trip to the grog than not pay their respects...

Cheers! M2

Mystic Greg
14th May 2006, 20:09
I'd definitely have gone for the cuff-links if your friend had been a Brit, but I think USAF officers have far fewer formal functions than we do, so he might not get to wear them often.

How about a silver tankard? Something suitable for his favourite drink, engraved along the lines of '2/Lt Joe Bloggs USAF - 27 May 2006 - Congratulations from tablet eraser'?

I guess the final answer largely depends on how much you wish to spend........

Pontius Navigator
14th May 2006, 20:29
I have just checked the RAF Club catalogue. They have cufflinks, lapel pins, whisky tumblers, corkscrew, wallet etc. Nothing over £20.

The cufflinks are blue and gold enamel, £12.75. They are circular with the crown at the 12 o'clock and some bird's wings sticking out at 3 and 9 :)

Zoom
14th May 2006, 21:22
How about the USAF Academy Honour Code (Honor?) engraved on a brass plaque, the one that goes something like 'I will not lie, cheat or steal and will always dob on my mates'. Fortunately it usually gets forgotten on graduation, so this will be a suitable reminder of how daft he was to sign up to it.

glum
14th May 2006, 22:22
A brass model of the aircraft you work on / with?

An SD hat mounted on a wall bracket?

rugmuncher
15th May 2006, 01:04
How about a nice shiny brass Crab belt + buckle with wings?

Norwester
15th May 2006, 01:23
All sentimental rubbish.

Go out for a beer and talk about women and stuff... and then agree to do it all again next year and every year thereafter!

Oh, okay, the silver tankard gets my vote. :ok:

Wizzard
15th May 2006, 11:57
How about a small American Flag (say about 18-24 inches wide) and pocket sized Bible. If you have photos of his family then you have it made. Remind him of why he serves....Family, God and Country. If he serves in a manner to honour all three he will be a success.
Pass me a bucket someone.

Green Flash
15th May 2006, 12:59
For something a bit lighter try http://www.caricatureaircraftpictures.com/

Edited to add; I've had a closer look at some of the commissions and they are absolutely cracking!

Wyler
15th May 2006, 13:09
Tablet

Just give him an ordinary cutlery knife. He will never have seen one before, have no idea how to use it and so will believe it's an RAF miniature.:ok:

SASless
15th May 2006, 13:45
Never smelled burnt cordite have you Wissard?:uhoh:

Wizzard
15th May 2006, 14:53
Never smelled burnt cordite have you Wissard?:uhoh:
I have actually, and I've picked up bits of bodies. Bodies produced by IRA bombs.
That will be the same IRA funded by collection tins in the bars of New York and Boston.
War against terrorism my a*se:mad:

tablet_eraser
15th May 2006, 15:47
Guys,

Don't let this degenerate into Brits/Yanks slanging. My friend is justifiably proud to be joining the USAF and I'm proud to be in the RAF. Why look beyond that, when all I want to do is congratulate him with a personal gift?

G_F, thanks for the caricature idea... I think I'm going to look into that a little more closely.

t_e

flipster
15th May 2006, 16:31
Family? - When I was in, my family didn't get to see me, I didn't know my kids nor my missus and a social life was impossible.

God? - The politicians for whom we work are absolute bunch of of immoral, Faithless, Godless and souless bunch of hypocritical, selfish heathens, whom I wouldn't trust to sit the right way on a toilet.

Country? - Hardly anyone outside these threads knows nor cares about the Armed Forces - ask anyone in the street about what the Services do for them - you will undoubtedly get the 'i'm not boffered' response.

The US citizens treat and respect their Forces sooo much better than we do ours. Very sad but true -thats why I got out.

At least, when you work for a civvy firm, you know they don't give tuppence about you.

Lost & Filed
15th May 2006, 16:40
t_e

You can still get the miniature swords. RAF Museum Hendon sells them. How do I know, because we used to take the Basics there for a day and I saw one and nearly bought it. If I mind right it was about £30 - £40. It even comes in a beautiful wooden presentation box.

Hope this helps http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/ it even has a shop online (though I think the link is down as couldn't get anywhere) but there's a mail order catalogue and contact details.

I would go with your first idea and get the sword as it is beautiful.

Cheers.

Lost & Filed

tablet_eraser
15th May 2006, 18:01
L&F,

Thanks - when was this? I phoned the RAFM a couple of months ago and they didn't have any then. If you've been there more recently, it's obviously something I need to sort out!

Cheers!

Lost & Filed
15th May 2006, 18:09
t_e

Last time I went was last year before I went on Det then posted so it would have been about this time, but I'm sure they'll get them in again. Either that try Cranwell as I'm sure they'll have a contact. Failing either of those then I'm not sure. Hope you manage to get one.

L & F

Air Force
5th Jun 2006, 12:33
If your still after an minature RAF Sword, Heraldic Co (01594 832200) do them for about £36.00 as these are now made by the Imperial Sword Co as Wilkinson has stopped doing them.

clicker
5th Jun 2006, 15:41
Pass me a bucket someone.

Would that be one with an RAF crest or a USAF one?