PDA

View Full Version : ATC picture

radargeekgirl
14th May 2006, 09:18
Am hunting for what I think is a WWII poster - or at least it is in that style. It shows a girl in a bikini and the slogan is something similar to: "Air Traffic Control, gets them down safely".

Does anyone know where I could find a copy of this? Or the history behind it.

Cheers

White Hart
14th May 2006, 09:29
Used to see a sticker on workbags, briefcases etc which showed the cartoon bikini girl & the slogan "Get them down safely with ATC" - think it was available from GATCO (late 80's-early 90's). Haven't seen it for a while now.

Lon More
14th May 2006, 11:01
Kees Scholts at Maastricht UAC used to make them, also coffee mugs and ladies knickers with it on.

FantomZorbin
14th May 2006, 13:43
The lady responsible for the idea/stickers etc., 'Miss Piggy', will be most impressed at being linked with a WW2 poster:}

They were produced in the very early 80s at ATC EGOS.

Happy daze with the Super Hooligan Club #17:)

Downwind.Maddl-Land
14th May 2006, 13:54
Definitely NOT WWII era! Late 70’s & 80’s.

Early versions had a stylised female form for the head (à la “bald” mannequin) but later versions had a hairline silhouetted, which looked much better.:)

However, another bit of fun lost to the PC brigade I’m afraid.:=

Pierre Argh
15th May 2006, 09:12
Is this what you're looking for....
http://www.rumration.co.uk/cpgn2/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10347/normal_get_em_down.jpg

radargeekgirl
15th May 2006, 11:31
Thanks very much everyone, have had some trouble tracking it down here, everyone I work with knows of the picture, but no one knew where it came from!

Cheers

chevvron
17th May 2006, 06:18
Designed by two RAF ATCO's at Luqa to commemorate the handover to the Maltese. I know their names but won't post them here.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
17th May 2006, 07:56
Wow Chevvy... takes me back to Malta Control in the mid-60s. The RAF lot were insane - but aren't all ATCOs? The local Maltese ATC people were among the best I ever worked with and I could bore people to death with stories. Wonder who runs the show out there now.

anotherthing
17th May 2006, 08:53
I am sure that if someone could be bothered to do the work, there would be sizeable demand for mugs/car stickers with the infamous logo within the ATC fraternity.....

Anybody interested in running with it?

More to the point, it could be done with any profits going to a worthwhile charity

Atcham Tower
17th May 2006, 09:01
But didn't some of the lady ATCOs complain, which is why it was withdrawn? All the ones I know tend to offer with a condescending put-down like "Boys will be boys and aren't they sad?" A much better way of dealing with a harmless situation.

chevvron
17th May 2006, 09:15
One of the two ATCOs WAS female; she had no qualms about it. Had a long chat with her at Shawbury where she told me the history. I sent one to an aquaintance who's a despatcher with American Airlines at JFK; she loved it and so did everyone else there.

There was another sticker produced later 'Did you kiss an Air Traffic Controller Today?' (c. 1983)

anotherthing
17th May 2006, 09:26
Atcham Tower

You are probably correct, though to my mind to complain would be a tad pathetic - it's a bit of harmless fun.

Everything is far too PC nowadays - in fact I might complain as all this PC stuff is affecting my civil liberties!!

Biggin Koksy
20th May 2006, 09:08
I also seem to remember another one in the 80s that featured a lady in a bra entitled 'Lift and separate with Air Traffic Control' :) :)

Lon More
20th May 2006, 17:46
I used to make one - Don't tell my parents I'm an air traffic controller, they think I'm a piano player in a brothel

BDiONU
20th May 2006, 21:06
There was another sticker produced later 'Did you kiss an Air Traffic Controller Today?' (c. 1983)
Sorry these pics aren't the greatest quality, just took them of my old briefcase:

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j176/BDiONU/Kiss.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j176/BDiONU/Control.jpg

BD

Lon More
22nd May 2006, 21:05
BD The blue one's an old EGATS sticker drawn by Martin Germans.Some of his cartoons can still be seen on their web site.

pikman
23rd May 2006, 23:32
Used to have the "Get em down safely" sticker on my motorbike in the late 80's. Would definitely be interested in a mug etc with that logo if someone could organise a worthy cause for any potential charitable benefactor. pk

BurglarsDog
24th May 2006, 04:38
How about a " Lift and Separate" piccy?

Same era as the Get em Down Safely one.:D