PDA

View Full Version : Private Pilot W A&P

diverrick
13th May 2006, 22:18
Hi all
New to this forum, but I thought I might throw this out and see what comes up. I am a recently minted Private Pilot with 12 Years as an A&P, both GA and Airline exp. (sheetmetal, A&P, Lead, and Inspector). I Currently am working as a Millwright because Pay is so lousy as a A&P. I have to start out at 18-$20.00 if I want to work as an A&P, I took a buyout from the Airline I was working for, due to the base closure, rather than move to Okie City. I want to get back into it again, so I thought getting my private pilot, might find me a job flying. Does anyone have any ideas, or know of a job where I could fly for a living, and work on the A/C as needed? I hope it would pay better than A&P work. I live on the West Coast of U.S. At my age It wouldn't make sense to go the ATP route, by the time I retired, I would have barely even paid for the training to get there. Just looking for some way to fly AND make a decent wage at the same time. I know, sounds like a pipe dream.

Telstar
14th May 2006, 12:29
I have heard in Africa the Pilots with an A&P(Thats Airframe and Power Plant mechanic for those that didn't know) are in big demand in Africa with the flying doctor services. However its more a way of life then a money making racket.

diverrick
20th May 2006, 23:22
yes I know that is true. here in the US you need a bunch more time under your belt before you can give them your aircraft, and you as PIC, and you pay for the fuel and insurance to boot! I am more looking for a good paying job, using my A&P and PPL. Like I said, it might be a pipe dream, but we can all dream can't we?

scroggs
21st May 2006, 08:50
You will not be able to earn money flying with a PPL. You will need a CPL or ATPL valid in whatever country you're considering.

Scroggs