PDA

View Full Version : Pic time

michvan
12th May 2006, 23:04
Hi everybody... I am doing my hours building in the US and finally I can fill my logbook everyday...:)
I have a couple of questions relative to the time one can log...
when you do the flight review with an istructor who is the PIC? And what about the rental checkout?
And finally, is there any JAA or FAA definition for crosscountry time?
Thank you in advance
cheers

bolty_1000
13th May 2006, 19:06
Hi Michvan.....hope all is still going well down in sunny Titusville! Ormond Beach is still good........just 3.8 to go now:) !! Heard Rich getting flight following today.....you guys coming over soon?

I have the same query as my checkout was quite long for the rental as I hadnt flown for a year!

Advice on this would be good!!!!

Jinkster
13th May 2006, 22:03
as far as I am aware a checkout is dual but a flight test is P1/s - as its just a check - then dual.

i stand to be corrected.

flyboyike
13th May 2006, 23:58
when you do the flight review with an istructor who is the PIC?

You are.

And finally, is there any JAA or FAA definition for crosscountry time?
Thank you in advance

FAA defines it as any flight with a direct point-to-point distance of greater than 50nm, except for Hawaii.

FlyingForFun
14th May 2006, 10:32
is there any JAA or FAA definition for crosscountry time?FAA define it as 50nm, as Flyboy says. JAA define it as 3nm - which in practice means anything other than a circuit.when you do the flight review with an istructor who is the PIC? And what about the rental checkout?Do a search, you will find this has been discussed many times, and there is no definite answer.

My answer relates to JAR, not sure whether the FARs agree with this. You are almost certainly not P1. The instructor is in charge - he is responsible for the safety of the aircraft, and if he wants to take over at any time he will.

You are either PUT or P1US. Unfortunately, there is nothing written down anywhere which says which is the correct answer. P1US makes more sense logically, but according to LASORS the only time they say that P1US can be used on a single-crew aircraft is for a successful test with an examiner. I'd go for PUT, simply from the point of view of being conservative (i.e. if you subsequently have an accident, and the insurance company are looking for ways of not paying, they can't argue with PUT), but I wouldn't say that P1US is wrong.

FFF
--------------