PDA

View Full Version : Lancaster Bomber PIK (Edited to avoid bloodshed)

smith
12th May 2006, 18:53
Spotted at Prestwick today, any ideas as to why it was there?

PPRuNe Radar
12th May 2006, 19:20
Flying ?? Or roaded in ??

If the former, it's a ghost :ok:

EDIT: If I may borrow PPR's thread to tell all that the issue of the 'mistaken identity' has caused so much aggro that I have edited the thread, which will explain this and subsequent posts. Now, back to Sunday morning:ugh:

BOAC

Bigears
12th May 2006, 19:41
A Wellington has 2 engines, a Lancaster has 4.
Its a Lanc- trust me :ok:
Merlin- the Sound of Freedom.
A very informative page about the Lanc can be found here (http://www.deltaweb.co.uk/bbmf/bomber.html).
To your question:
The real reason she still flies is described here (http://www.deltaweb.co.uk/bbmf/history.html)
The reason Prestwick was selected is, I presume, that the BBMF Spitfire, Hurricane and Lancaster are taking part in a display at Coleraine (Co Londonderry/Co Derry) tomorrow morning and it saves the crews a bit of fatigue from a whole day flying. Also, there are several flypasts taking place on the way back to RAF Coningsby, and I guess, it saves a refuel (and a longer day) somewhere.
Personally, I'll be taking my Grandson to see the Spit, Hurricane and Lanc depart tomorrow. Not many things move me, but seeing and listening to these aircraft sure does.
Hope you take the time to go too.

smith
12th May 2006, 20:48
Yes you are right, a slip of the tongue, meant to say Lancaster. I saw it landing and parked up just beside the Ryanair hangar. I'm working tomorrow and wil miss it departing bahhhh.

ID90
12th May 2006, 21:48
:confused: I though the Lanc, Spit and Hurri were supposed to be staying overnight and Blackpool prior to going over to NI tomorrow??

smith
13th May 2006, 12:55
Managed to see the memorial flight take off from PIK this morning. Awesome, hurri and spit start rolling first then the wellington (doh Lancaster) starts rolling before the two fighters are airborne. Magnificent.

Out Of Trim
13th May 2006, 22:07
smith

Dohh!

You just did it again! - Lancaster not Wellington - OK

smith
14th May 2006, 07:24
oot

DOH exactly, why do I keep doing it? Kept going on to my mate it was a **BANNED WORD** yesterday and he kept correcting me. L-A-N-C-A-S-T-E-R, got it now. Thing is I know its a **GOOD WORD** and not a **BANNED WORD**, dont know why I keep changing it.