PDA

View Full Version : Sea Vixen Eng fire???

devonianflyer
12th May 2006, 14:49
Just heard from an eye-witness (in other words my Dad who was passing by!!) that the Sea Vixen just came into Yeovilton and shut down on the runway with crash vehicle in tow. He then reported fire extinguishers and hoses being fired into the engine compartment.
A big well done to the pilot for getting it back on the ground, and the crash boys/girls for their speedy repsonse!
Anyone else heard about this, and if it was an engine fire, what are the chances of it flying again???
DF

Man-on-the-fence
12th May 2006, 15:15
what are the chances of it flying again???
DF

Give 'em a chance to drag it off the runway!

The Helpful Stacker
12th May 2006, 15:29
Give 'em a chance to drag it off the runway!

Dontcha just love the internet.

The firemen have only just put away their hoses (oo err) and someone is asking if it'll fly again.

:rolleyes:

Man-on-the-fence
12th May 2006, 15:49
Seriously though I just hope he managed to phone home before someone posted his mishap on the internet.

Anyone remember the engine problems for the HAC Hurricane at White Waltham a couple of years ago.

I believe the son of the pilot read about a "serious problem" with his fathers aircraft on t'interweb first in passing. Thus causing lots of unnecessary worry. In the end it turned out to be minor but can we please remember that the internet is a powerful thing and show a bit of caution with posting news if incidents.

LowObservable
12th May 2006, 17:11
A technical problem with a Sea Vixen? I am deeply shocked.

FB11
12th May 2006, 18:03
Sea Hawk. Not a Sea Vixen. Hydraulic snag, pilot fine.

Jet will be flying again in a week.

Climebear
12th May 2006, 19:18
Sea Hawk. Not a Sea Vixen. Hydraulic snag, pilot fine.
Jet will be flying again in a week.

Delighted to see you on here - how is life back at the sharp end?

Sorry about the Premiership this year

FJJP
12th May 2006, 23:07
Standing in ops one day when a phone call came in from Mrs Bloggs - "The thingmy crash that's just happened - was Bill involved, only he was supposed to be flying today?"

Eh?

Switched on Sky News and there it was in all its glory - "Breaking news - thingmy crashed at [location], pilot seen to eject".

Great stuff - first we heard of one of our thingmies crashing.

Modern technology coupled with a network of news spies and it makes life very difficult for us all...

FB11
13th May 2006, 06:22
Clime,

Thought I'd better reply to the perfectly serviceable Sea Vixen comment, wouldn't want anyone to think that the Red Bull monster was languishing in a hangar.

Currently 3000 miles east courtesy of Grey Funnel cruise line helping to develop a concept that the wise people on the CVF thread spend so much time urinating into wind about.

Particularly fond of those that have never put a uniform on, let alone been to sea, who have such detail on carrier ops that I wish they were here to assist.

Nice Sun Tzu quotes earlier, thank goodnes you accredited them. College was useful for something.

As for the Baggies, we were on borrowed time. At least we can thump Wolves the Dingles next season.

fradu
13th May 2006, 17:16
Glad to hear that everything is fine.
The mention of the world 'hydraulic' automatically created a picture of 'one wheel up, one down'.
Well done to the pilot for bringing WV908 down safely.

'FB11' a Baggies fan?
WBA should never have signed Quashie, as wherever he goes relegation will surely follow :)
Spoken as a true Saints fan!

fradu
31st May 2006, 08:26
Sea Hawk is now fully serviceable and ready for airshow work :D

Shannon volmet
31st May 2006, 09:24
Just heard from an eye-witness (in other words my Dad who was passing by!!) that the Sea Vixen just came into Yeovilton and shut down on the runway with crash vehicle in tow. He then reported fire extinguishers and hoses being fired into the engine compartment.
A big well done to the pilot for getting it back on the ground, and the crash boys/girls for their speedy repsonse!
Anyone else heard about this, and if it was an engine fire, what are the chances of it flying again???
DF

WTF?

How long was the rope?

( glad to hear no-one was hurt.)

Confucius
31st May 2006, 10:05
Seriously though I just hope he managed to phone home before someone posted his mishap on the internet.
Anyone remember the engine problems for the HAC Hurricane at White Waltham a couple of years ago.
I believe the son of the pilot read about a "serious problem" with his fathers aircraft on t'interweb first in passing. Thus causing lots of unnecessary worry. In the end it turned out to be minor but can we please remember that the internet is a powerful thing and show a bit of caution with posting news if incidents.

There will always be someplace on the interweb where this sort of thing appears. I believe the onus is on 'The Authorities' to provide a rapid accurate kinforming service to anyone involved with an incident, be it aviation or otherwise. This may seem a little unfair, but news does travel very fast these days, bad news even faster.