PDA

View Full Version : Merits of pre-assessment jet-sim practice for low hours pilot - thoughts?

ChocksAwayUK
12th May 2006, 07:40
Just wondering if anyone has experience or knowledge in this area.

As a low hours pilot you're unlikely to have any 737 (for example) experience or at best a bit on an MCC. So, if you're on a 737 sim assessment for an airline job and they're looking for improvement over 3 attempts at a certain procedure then is there really much merit in sim practice beforehand?

Of course I understand that preparation is key and a bit of familiarisation can certainly help to some extent but.. At a 'low-hours' level assessors can hardly expect you to be a 737 pilot. I'd have thought that they'd really just be looking for a)improvement b) CRM c) General competance. But I could be wrong and would like to hear the thoughts of those with experience in this matter.

I know I sound a bit like I'm trying to convince myself here...which I am! Just wondering whether to bust a gut getting time off work, finding a sim and finanically crippling myself at short notice.

George Foreman
14th May 2006, 14:20
I know it costs but you will have a lot riding on the assessment and if you have not had jet orientation training or are several months out of currency (as I was) it will be money well spent to pair up with someone for a bit of practice.

Even one 2-3 hour session split between 2 will sharpen you up no end at both putting your CRM/basic SOPs into practice, general jet handling, level-offs and configuring for an approach. You will also learn from your buddy whilst practicing PNF duties (which might also be assessed).

Try Mike Boulton at Bournemouth (727), Kevin at The Flight Centre near Knaresbrough in Yorkshire (737-200..you don't need a buddy as he operates the sim from the left or right seat), SIMTECH/PARC in Dublin or IAGO to book the modern (and expensive) kit at GECAT.

Both of the jet assessments I got (and passed) came at very short notice, so I was pleased I had done something in the preceding months.

If you have time, also have a go at a 737 engine failure drill, tracking, turns and single engine ILS to go-around...the Ryanair profile contains a lot of engine-out work and the standard required is high. Most companies will tell you that they don't ask for this, but it does depend on the assessor on the day...yes they are looking for improvement, but sim time is valuable and there might not be time for you to get up to speed. Also, if you show them a reasonable ILS approach on 2 engines, don't be surprised if they ask whether you'd like to do the next one on one!

Good luck, and enjoy it !

George.

Craggenmore
14th May 2006, 15:54
Chocks,

Picture the scene. You've waited 15 months for your first interview. You prepare, pass and get invited back next week for a sim assesment.

So, you don't prepare, fly badly and don't get the job.

Your next interview comes a year later. :{

Pilot Pete
15th May 2006, 01:23
So, if you're on a 737 sim assessment for an airline job and they're looking for improvement over 3 attempts at a certain procedure then is there really much merit in sim practice beforehand? In my opinion it is absolutely essential. I have come across many pilots with low hours who have spent months getting the chance of a selection, to finally get the call, attend and pass the interview and get offered a sim assessment only to blow it. Why? Usually I hear 'I thought I would be alright as I did my MCC on a 737 six months back'.

Unfortunately it just doesn't work like that unless you really are very talented. In the sim assessment they are looking at the the things you mention, BUT, they are looking at how you handle the step up to something complex like a jet. If you are in there and your first go is god damn awful, second a little better and the third still pretty ragged, then you are pretty much doomed to failure. If however, you have got your hands on the profile and SOP calls, learnt them inside out and then practiced them in a similar sim, so that on the day under the increased pressure you put in a reasonable performance then you will not regret the money spent if you get the job offer.

Every low houred pilot that I know who has failed the sim assessment wishes with hindsight they had practiced......

It comes down to how much do you want the job? Remember it's not good enough to just pass, if others impress.

PP

ChocksAwayUK
15th May 2006, 07:50
Thanks everyone for all your constructive advice - seems obvious now how important some sim-practice would be in my situation. The opportunity is far too good to miss so I'm going all out to pass.

Further to George Foreman's helpful suggestions can anyone recommend any sims? Preferred criteria: Not too expensive (!), drivable from London, available with only a weeks or so's notice (is this poss.?) with a decent instructor who can get a low-hours, non-rated pilot comfortable with the Clacton 6B out of Luton in a couple of hours.

(Also if anyone is in a similar position wants to buddy up, let me know. Though I'm being a bit optimistic here as I haven't made it through the first bit of the assessment yet!)

Pilot Pete
15th May 2006, 10:36
can anyone recommend any sims? Preferred criteria: Not too expensive (!), drivable from London, available with only a weeks or so's notice (is this poss.?) with a decent instructor who can get a low-hours, non-rated pilot comfortable with the Clacton 6B out of Luton in a couple of hours. Have you tried the 727 sim at Bournemouth? Someone on here will have the details. I am pretty sure the instructor is familiar with the Thomsonfly profile;) !

Good luck

PP

ps I spent £900 on two hours at Gecat in 2000 before my first 'big break'. I didn't have any money left after training and it was the only sim I could get at short notice. I put it on a credit card. Probably the most valuable 2hrs of my whole journey from C152 to 757. I was all over the shop and walked out of there extremely disappointed. 2 days later I went for assessment and flew much better having spent the couple of days reviewing my performance and doing some 'armchair' practice. If it hadn't been for the £900 the rest of my investment up to then would have been wasted on that selection. The assessment is not the time to be realising that you are rusty....

Good luck.