PDA

View Full Version : Balloon Frequency?

Human Factor
11th May 2006, 18:54
Is there one? If so, anyone know what it is please?

eharding
11th May 2006, 20:52
122.475 - but if they're helium balloons, a trifle higher up the scale.

Flyingcircusace
11th May 2006, 21:24
Ed dont worry only 10 hours till breakfast!!

B Fraser
12th May 2006, 09:04
The 122.475 frequency is mainly used between the balloon and the retrieve crew and RT standards are "fairly relaxed".

Strictly speaking, a radio that is able to transmit should be issued with its own licence and be assigned to a station e.g. G-ABCD however in practice, you grab any ICOM that is charged up, velcro it to one of the the uprights, test it on the ground and away you go. The other radio is slung into whichever retrieve vehicle is being used and everyone is happy.

This is one area where not strictly applying the rules is a sensible approach.

I vaguely recall there is a frequency set aside for hangliders but I can't remember it :ugh:

Human Factor
12th May 2006, 11:09
Thanks Mr F. I watched a Chipmunk looping next to a balloon the other day and wondered if they were likely to be talking to each other. Enjoy the shooting.... :uhoh:

B Fraser
12th May 2006, 13:12
Perhaps I should NOTAM Thruxton for low flying lead, direction variable and random ;)

I live at the end of what appears to be "Yak Alley" i.e. just North of Pangbourne and a few years ago on a local balloon flight at around 2,000 feet, an Extra gave an impromptu display looping within about half a mile. We thought it was great. I guess the Chippie display was really appreciated. :ok:

It wasn't Mr R. by any chance ?