PDA

View Full Version : GA pilot / captain

dllcooper
11th May 2006, 11:54
In terms of flying a twin engine aircraft/421 or like, for personal transport with passengers, what is the minimum certificate requirement for my pilot license + min hours?

The aircraft will be part of an AOC and flown by a different captain when being used for hire.

---------------------------------------

Could anyone with a good knowledge of aviation regulations offer thoughts on this scenario?

gcolyer
11th May 2006, 21:29
As far as i am aware a PPl with twin will allow you to be able to fly a 421...that and some decent cash. Obviously you will want to do some training in it before you take it out alone. A mate of mine owns a 421 and he only has PPL, Twin, IMC.

Luke SkyToddler
11th May 2006, 21:46
It's quite likely that insurance would be the limiting factor, I doubt many insurance companies would be interested in touching a 50 hour PPL flying a hot ship like a 421. Neither would I be that interested in pax'ing in one flown by a low hour PPL either to be honest - they are a twitchy aircraft with some complicated systems i.e. the fuel tanks, they are by all accounts a real handful when assymmetric, definitely not ideal for a first multi type.

We used to have a 1000 hour requirement for anyone to private-hire our chieftain - a much more docile beast than a 421 - and that was apparently the bottom line with the insurance.

Con-Trail
12th May 2006, 18:34
The following is copied from the CAA Lasors document, which is related to ICAO Annex 1: Personnel Licencing

Private Pilot’s Licence (Aeroplanes)

Minimum age - 17 years[/left]

No maximum period of validity
Privileges:
1) Subject to paragraph (2), the holder of a Private
Pilot’s Licence (Aeroplanes) shall be entitled to
fly as pilot in command or co-pilot of an aeroplane
of any of the types or classes specified or
otherwise falling within an aircraft rating included
in the licence.

2) He shall not -

b) receive any remuneration for his services as a

pilot on a flight save that if his licence includes

a flying instructor's rating, a flight instructor

rating or an assistant flying instructor's rating

by virtue of which he is entitled to give
instruction in flying microlight aircraft or
self-launching motor gliders he may receive
remuneration for the giving of such instruction
or the conducting of such flying tests as are
specified in sub-paragraph ((a) (i)) in a
microlight aircraft or a self-launching motor
glider.

In other words: you can carry passengers, but you cannot earn money with it.

This is the only limitation I could find. I thought to have read somewhere that a ppl holder cannot fly a multi-engine aeroplane, but I must be wrong

Hope this helps

C-T

dllcooper
12th May 2006, 20:46
Many thanks - What is the minimum license requirement to fly for profit - CPL / IR i guess? Also what are the minimum hours an insurance company would look at? Would i have to fly P1 for some time possibly?

Con-Trail
13th May 2006, 11:08
Now that's a really tricky subject.

A CPL holder may act as Pilot In Command with any operation other than commercial air transport.
A CPL+IR holder can act as a Co-Pilot in commercial air transport only if all the required ATPL theory exams have been passed.

A CPL holder can, however, fly on a single pilot operated flight in commercial air transport

Obviously, if you do not have an IR rating you can only fly during day time and in view of the ground at all times.

There is an in-between option to get a night rating...

Sorry, I can't tell you much about the insurrance side of it...

C-T