PDA

View Full Version : Check Pilot Approval

Meeb
10th May 2006, 21:43
Could someone give me an idea of what is involved in getting 'Check Pilot' approval on aircraft above 5700kg?

I have searched through the CASA website but other than fleeting references to the subject, and generic stuff in CAO 40, I can find nothing which lays done syllabi or even just an outline of the training & testing involved.

Thanks. :)

otto the grot
11th May 2006, 00:51
This might help.

Check form for the approval
http://www.casa.gov.au/manuals/regulate/aocm/form116.pdf

You will have to perform a proficiency check (base check) on another pilot with CASA supervising. CAO 40.1.5 appendix 2 has everything you need.

Prior to you fronting up for this check, your CP or head of c&t should conduct some training with you in the right seat. assys, take over situations etc etc

Meeb
11th May 2006, 17:50
Prior to you fronting up for this check, your CP or head of c&t should conduct some training with you in the right seat. assys, take over situations etc etc

Thanks otto, are you or anyone else able to give me an idea of what that
training would consist of to become a 'Checkie'? In the UK its quite a laborous procedure involving CRMi course, core course, type specific course et al, is there similiar things to this in the Aussie system or is it all together different? Any info is welcome.

Does having Multi Training Approval help?

Thanks folks. :)

gas-chamber
13th May 2006, 01:45
It is my understanding that the company you work for must nominate you. If CASA issues an approval, it should only be for while you work with that company and only to check pilots who work for that company.
CASA does not appear to have a consistent policy with what they want to see - it seems to be based on what they know of the applicant's background. At the very least they expect some sort of training syllabus developed within your company to make you competent.
The usual path is for the company to make you do some training of other pilots first while being supervised, then some line training on your own, then some checking under supervision.
CASA should then see you being checked yourself and should ascertain that you can recover the airplane or simulator from mishandled situations. Then it would be usual for them to observe you conducting a check on another pilot and making a correct assessment. It is not that hard to get a line check approval as most of it would be based on being practical and knowing all the SOPs and rules and asking a few relevant questions of the crew at appropriate times. With sim check they look at how well you manage the realism and time in the sim and how observant you can be of the crew under check while working the panel. But they obviously have to be cautious before they licence people to go out doing assy training. You won't be getting that one overnight.
Previous ME instructor time and some other qualification such as Certificate 4 are all good things to put forward in support of your application.
Australia is way behind the UK, where for many years they have had a properly structured course which in the past was run by the CAA. You could not get an IRE without doing the 2 week course and it was quite intensive with a lot of flying. One good thing was the degree of standardisation and impartiality of the checkies who passed the course. The bad thing was you could not question the wisdom of the CAA and they were in a time warp with some rather quaint requirements.