PDA

View Full Version : Finding The First Multi Job

bodex666
10th May 2006, 02:14
Am I the only one who finds it hard to find that first multi command job? It seems that every one I approach wants multi time, when these are the companies that we all go to looking for that first job. A little about myself...I did the ****** Cadedship which entailed training up to CPL with IFR rating with all ATPL subjects, then getting a year as a first officer on Metro's in Queensland. But it seems when it comes to FO time people shun away, thinking you've jumped the que or your second rate. I am fast approaching my finish with ******, I have over 1000hrs, but only around 100hrs Command but people want more. Does anyone have any ideas or know of anyone that would employ me? I fly out of Brisbane, doing around 15-20hrs a week and I definatley dont want to be a "career first officer".:confused:

boogie-nicey
10th May 2006, 14:18
At age19 I'm surprised you feel that you're getting left behind, chill you're young and perhaps that's the reason why many of the operators want you to get more of a grounding in life before you move on with your career.

low n' slow
10th May 2006, 15:22
Chill dude... I agree with the previous poster, you are still really young.
There's a girl in my Airline that had all the time she needed and apparantly she was the best FO they'd ever had. They were short of captains but because of her age, she was moved up from the turboprop and was given a rating on the ERJ 145 instead to fly as FO. Thats how much age can matter. It's not your hours, those can be built quickly by flying as a PIC under supervision.

Just hang on and enjoy life for the time being, command will come sooner or later.

/LnS

rmcdonal
10th May 2006, 19:35
That sounds like the age old question Bodex666. With only 100Cmd some operators won’t see you as having enough decision making experience, after all as an FO you have someone else to make operational decisions for you. Maybe you could try looking for a single job to build the command time and then start looking for a twin driver position. Also how far are you willing to travel to get said job if it's offerd?

bodex666
10th May 2006, 22:30
True, well I got offered a parachuting job today, which I've taken...let the command flow I gues...cheers guys !

yigy2
12th May 2006, 22:27
try eagle air (air new zealand link) on the pilot.staffcv website

In NZ you don't need 500 multi command to upgrade to a captain

Currently 2 auzzies in the company come from ******

tinpis
12th May 2006, 23:13
Surely Eagle wouldnt give him a left seat???

M.25
13th May 2006, 00:21
Am I the only one who finds it hard to find that first multi command job?

No way! Getting the first multi job is possibly one of the hardest things to do, and everyone finds it difficult. (I know of guys with 1000's of hours, including one with metro time, who are still trying to get a good multi gig.) Even if you approach a reputable operator with over 1000hrs single engine command, you will find it unlikely that they will put you straight onto a twin with no command multi.
The best way is to be prepared to move wherever you have to, find a good company with both singles and twins and be prepared to do 12-18months on the singles to prove yourself.:ok:

Ps. As the other guys have said, I really wouldn't worry to much just yet! You are in a very good position for your age. The metro time will be an advantage once you do have 500multi command.

bodex666
13th May 2006, 03:51
I went up to this parachuting company today, no joy, I wasn't really prepared to work for free :ugh: , and pay for 10hrs on the C182 before flying. Not when one has bills etc. In regards to Eagle Air, I have meet those 2 pilots. However do Australian ATPL's count over there? And when you convert to a NZ license can your First Officer time count as half command? I believe they require 100hrs command before you can convert Aus to NZ CPL.

M.25
13th May 2006, 04:43
Good on you :ok: ......
If only everyone else had the same attitude, they would have to pay.

ThoughtCrime
13th May 2006, 09:47
bodex666 good attitude. If everyone says NO to working for nothing they will finally get the idea or go out of business.

Go up north for some S/E command time in the bush and you'd have no problem getting a shoe in with a m/e job after 6 months.

Try chartair/ausjet/hardy's in darwin. Start on a single, bush time, but progression to m/e.

TC

Over and gout
14th May 2006, 04:47
I went up to this parachuting company today, no joy, I wasn't really prepared to work for free :ugh: .
Excellent!:ok: :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok:

yigy2
14th May 2006, 23:12
tinpis - striaght to the right chair, and work his way up to a command without having 500 multi command as not required in NZ, rather than become a career FO

These 2 auzzies have is sorted and said there will be no probs in getting some of their time count towards NZ ATPL. I'm not sure of the hours. They do command practice or something

If you hold the full AUS ATPL, you just convert it by paying the CAA NZ $110 kiwi dollars and thats it,

yigy2
14th May 2006, 23:14
oh, and good on ya for not working for free. If everyone did this we all wouldn't be getting shafted, even with the big boys

turbolager
16th May 2006, 00:07
Bodex666, the info you're after is called the Trans Tasman Mutual Recognition Agreement, TTMRA. Go to www.caa.govt.nz for details. Your Australian ATPL exams count for nothing here in NZ, and the same applies in reverse. However, if there is still no flight test required in Australia once you have accumulated the necessary flight time, you can apply for the Oz ATPL, and on the basis of that apply for an NZ ATPL, without having to do our exams or a flight test.

The only difference to note for someone in your shoes is that NZ requires 150 PIC, not 100 like the rest of the world. Dont bother asking them why. So you'll need 150 PIC to hold an NZ ATPL, if you are going the airline/command practice(ICUS) way. Dont forget as well your F/O (SIC) hours will be cut in half by the ancient 50% rule which NZ still persists with, same as Australia. Watching a PPL student fly circuits in the 152 while you're sitting in the right seat not even flying it is seen as twice as valuable as being pilot flying, F/O on a high performance two pilot turboprop. Again, dont bother asking why :ok:

an-124
17th May 2006, 03:03
Bodex666 - Try Direct Air at Essendon airport. They have bases in Alice and Darwin as well as essendon and they are rapidly expanding. Might be good to get on board now before they get the jets!