PDA

View Full Version : To tell or not to tell the CAA

cortilla
9th May 2006, 17:05
Right, this weekend i cut my tendon in mym thumb (well 60% of it just behind the knuckle on the top side). I was admitted to hospital for one night and plastic surgery was done on the tendon on sunday. i am now in a splint for 4 weeks and will be unable to do light/heavy work with my thumb for 6/8 weeks, so basically i am taking myself off any flying for 8 weeks, until i feel that i will not compromise any flight safety because my thumb is not 100% mobile.

now whilst i know that the rules state that i should tell the CAA that i am unfit to fly, i am worried what the long term effects are of telling them. I have heard of several cases where the caa are over zealous and im worried about this. My phisio has told me that i will have 100% percent mobility within 6-8 weeks, and she does not believe that it will affect my flying in the long term.

i know some people will say tell them, others will say don't, i'm just looking for advice really.

cheers

cortilla
9th May 2006, 23:39
well yes i am quite aware of the feeling that these injuries might cause. i broke my wrist 8 years ago and it still feels strange. if the caa will allow me to self certify myself then that's fine, i'll give em a call asap, just hope they don't get me to write and sign a letter to em, as i can't write at the moment.

cheers for the reply anyway.

got caught
10th May 2006, 07:48
I should imagine the CAA have bigger fish to fry.....'spose you'll be selling your board now. Get well soon :ok:

cortilla
10th May 2006, 13:03
well i bit the bullet and i called em today. knew i had to do it really cause it'll come up in my next medical anyway cheers for the advice though gang