PDA

View Full Version : PPL Training around Milton Keynes, need help

B737-800NG
9th May 2006, 14:36
I am living near Milton Keynes now and I decided to start with my PPL around July. I thought that I first do all the theory exams including the practical Radio exam.

Now I have a few questions:

1. Should I get the Medical class 1 or 2. I read that the Medical Class 1 is now around 320 GBP. What do I get charged normally for a Medical Class 2? If I do the class 1 how long is it valid and when I need to renew it can I renew it as a class 2 and what does it cost. Can somebody recommend a doctor for the class 2 medical in my area. I probably won`t fly professional in the next few years.

2. Where can I take the theory exams in my area. I thought that Cranfield would be a possibility. How much do the flight schools charge for every exam. Can I study for the practical Radio exam by my own and pass it without a course in a flight school?

3. Which flight school would you recommend around Milton Keynes. The other option is that I go to the US during the winter for 4 weeks.

I would be grateful if you could answer some of my questions.

Saab Dastard
9th May 2006, 15:40
1) The CAA website has a list of AMEs here (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?categoryid=49&pagetype=65&applicationid=21). You should be able to find the other details you need there also.

If you don't need the Class 1, why pay for it? Class 2 is in the region of £100, + a bit for ECG if required.

2) You should be able to take all the theory tests at your flying school - except possibly the RT practical. Many (most?) FTCs don't charge for the tests - again, except possibly the RT practical. Check all this with the FTC - and use it is a basis for selecting one, if applicable.

You can study for all of the tests including R/T on your own. I found it very helpful to do a course in R/T, some others have found it helpful to do courses in some or all of the subjects.

Buy a few of the books - e.g. Thom / Pratt and see if you think you can learn the stuff on your own.

You will probably find that a lot of the stuff seems very hard to get your head around until you actually start flying - then it becomes trivial (well, nearly). Nav, aircraft systems, R/T are all much, much easier after practical experience, I suggest.

SD

charlie-india-mike
9th May 2006, 17:24
Hi

There are 5 or 6 FTO's at Cranfield, get yourself over one weekend and ask around.

C-I-M

Mark 1
9th May 2006, 17:30
Dr Anderson in Milton Keynes used to do very reasonably priced Class 2 medicals. I don't know if he's still on the list - worth checking out.

If you're serious about wanting to go on to Professional licence training, then its worth doing a Class 1 at the earliest opportunity. It is over £400 now, and you have to do the initial examination at Gatwick. It will be valid also for the Class 2 privileges and time periods. Renewal is then straightforward and much cheaper with a local AME.

If you only want a PPL, save your money and just do a Class 2 with a local AME.

Spend some time visiting the schools and asking questions at Cranfield, Sywell, Turweston......
Though be warned that Cranfield is often very busy and may lose you valuable training time due to traffic. Leicester isn't too far up the M1 and has a freindly, member-owned club.

I can also recommend a good chap at OSFC Enstone who does RT training and examinations - not sure if its members only.

dwshimoda
9th May 2006, 18:23
Just get a Class 2 for now, as otherwise you need to keep paying the costs of a class 1 renewal every year. If you decide to go Professional, then get a class 1 before you do anything else to make sure you can get it!

Cranfield is a great place to train, precisely because it is so busy! You get a real workout on the radio, and it teaches you good circuit discipline, and good ATC procedure. The traffic can occassionally be a pain - I've been stuck at the hold on occassion for up to 15 minutes, but it's not normally a problem - particularly if you do most of your training at the weekend / evening when the big schools have gone home.

There's plenty of places you can study - PM me if you want more info on a couple of them. I did my PPL at Cranfield, am half way through my ATPL's, and will be doing my CPL & IR there - I know the place pretty well!

DW

S-Works
9th May 2006, 18:52
Cranfield is a pain inthe ass in some respects for doing ab initio training but will give you good RT. I am doing my IR there at the moment which I am enjoying immensly, very hard work but with a perfectionist for an instructor I expect to fair well in the test. You would not go wrong by asking him to do your PPL. PM me for details.

Otherwise I am a member of Leicester aero club and for PPL training they will make a great choice. More actual flying time for the £.

dwshimoda
9th May 2006, 19:03
Forgot to say, what Cranfield doesn't teach you is about your aircraft performance. Specifically, you've got nearly 2,000m of tarmac, so get your instructor to take you to places with much shorter runways, grass, etc. That way you wont end up like a startled rabbit in the headlight when you approach a 600m grass strip, having just taken off from Cranfield!

Bose X - just curious - I'm planning on starting my IR in July there - which school are you at & how do you find it?

DW.

ps, love Leicester, was there a few weeks ago - an airfield with a soul - unlike Cranfield!

Wrong Stuff
9th May 2006, 19:53
It's worth visiting all the schools at Cranfield. Some of the smallest and least obvious are the best in my opinion.

S-Works
9th May 2006, 20:02
I am doing the IR at Taylor Aviation as the school but specifically I am doing the IR one on one with the CFI and by god he is demanding. I looked at all the schools but as I was doing this for personal advancement I wanted someone who develop my skills as a pilot not just get me throught a test and so far I can assure you I feel developed!!!!!

dwshimoda
9th May 2006, 20:04
Nice to hear - it's what you want for a rating such as the IR!

DW

B737-800NG
10th May 2006, 11:45
Thanks for all your posts. I think I will go to Cranfield over the weekend and have a look at the schools.