PDA

View Full Version : You gotta move......but where to?

Wanderin_dave
9th May 2006, 01:45
Alright, i'm prepared to get flamed for this, but here's hoping it's worth it.

I've got 900TT no IFR and little twin time, everything over my bare commercial is time spent working (scenic, proper charter and birdscaring). Have been out of the game for a year or two, but now am trying to get back in. I realise i've got to go where the jobs are and having done the ring-around i've narrowed it down to Darwin, Cairns or Broome. So i'm hoping somebody here knows a little more than i do and can give me tip on the best place to go. Am aware it's the wrong time of year, but i've got to get out of Melbourne and flying again so i'm off to hopefully pick up at least a little work.

So, where's best to go?

Just a quick note, yep i used the seach function, couldn't get any useful returns.

slice
9th May 2006, 02:00
My advice - at first it is best to live like a Nomad. With 900 tt you should offered jobs at some of the remote locations. Of the three places you mentioned, Darwin would be your best bet with the likes of Air Frontier, Air Ngukker, Kakadu, Direct etc. etc.

The main thing is initially be prepared to stay relatively mobile.

By all accounts Kunners seems to be a bit of a sucky cesspool for unemployed pilots. (my opinion only:D )

Bon chance!

ThoughtCrime
9th May 2006, 05:05
Air Frontier

*shudder* :yuk:

Kunners seems to be a bit of a sucky cesspool for unemployed pilots

at the moment, yes.

TC

JetABro
9th May 2006, 12:14
Mate I was in the same boat up to awhile ago.
You have got the right idea though, go remote.
Darwin is good, but the two big company that took in low hour pilot's (less than 1500TT) have both gone by the way side (NAC and Air Hgukurr), but there are still others, as posted above.
Don't know much about Broome but I hear it is a good place, would be best to go there and spend a few months hanging around to show your keen and avialable.
There is always Alice Springs as well. AusJet, Direct Air, Chartair, the old MC is still going just under a different name, and AAS:ok:
Spent a few months in Cairns but they seem to be looking more for 1500TT and a few 100 multi, but still worth a try.
The most important tip of all that I can give is get a credit card that can take being abused for a while, it will still love you once your working again!!:rolleyes:
Hang in there and good luck:ok:

Unhinged
9th May 2006, 12:48
Alright, i'm prepared to get flamed for this, but here's hoping it's worth it.

I've got 900TT no IFR and little twin time, everything over my bare commercial is time spent working <... snip...> i've narrowed it down to Darwin, Cairns or Broome.

So, where's best to go?

No need to get flamed ! I can't comment on Darwin or Broome, but Cairns can be a great place if you have good multi, ifr and/or instructing times. Without more experience, the opportunities are limited and are likely to be on stations or other remote locations (yes, much more remote than Cairns :-) Sorry, but happy hunting too !!

DUXNUTZ
9th May 2006, 13:37
While passing through Katherine give Chartair a call. Bases in remote areas as well as Katherine (not a bad town, couple hrs from Darwin). Good company, award wages etc.

If your keen look up Savannah Aviation. Might need to know a current pilot to work there but worth a look. Pretty remote stuff but good quality time IF your willing to work. Genuine good multi-IFR.

Use the yellow pages. At your hrs your above the likes of Kakadu Air and Scenics .i.e some charter exp would put you in good stead.

If i was you i'd put Hardy's in Darwin at the top of my list, keeping in mind everyone wants to work there... i.e operate singles through Turbine. Aboriginal Air also in this category.

Good luck.

OpsNormal
9th May 2006, 15:06
While passing through Katherine give Chartair a call. Bases in remote areas as well as Katherine (not a bad town, couple hrs from Darwin). Good company, award wages etc.....

Good luck.

I'd probably try them in Darwin rather than at Katherine if I were you, as the CP is now based there rather than what (was/is still?) Head Office in Alice Springs. Unfortunately with a rather large exodus of longtime crew in the last 6-7 months (basically everyone bar about 4, hey it all had to end one day) they've been caught rather short and you may well get a look in. The "new" CP is off just down the road already and the CP elect is one of the established DN aircrew.

OpsN.;)

MaryG
10th May 2006, 01:09
.....no smart arsed replies, no incincere responces, good constructive replies, has pprune turned the corner?????

Captain Fun
10th May 2006, 01:45
.....no smart arsed replies, no incincere responces, good constructive replies, has pprune turned the corner?????
Responces?? Might want to make sure you use your spell check before you expect any Responses to this....
Is that better Mary G?? :E

Woomera
10th May 2006, 02:02
:eek: So much for that, then:} :}

tinpis
10th May 2006, 02:10
Oh...I didnt notice this thread.....:hmm:

ContactMeNow
10th May 2006, 13:11
Responces?? Might want to make sure you use your spell check before you expect any Responses to this....
Is that better Mary G?? :E

Love your work Captain fun, someone had to TEACHED him/her a lesson or two about Pprune :ok:

Might want to add Halls creek to the list :yuk:

CMN :E

Wanderin_dave
10th May 2006, 14:08
Cheers everyone for the info, looks like Darwin's the go. See ya there!!! (If the phone call today doesn't lead somewhere, looks like the ring around IS worth the effort!)
Thanks again!:)