PDA

View Full Version : 777 vs. A340 or A330

misd-agin
8th May 2006, 14:20
Curious to hear from guys who've flown both types. Which do you prefer? Why?

I've spoken with 777 guys. They absolutely love the plane. I have A300 experience. Needless to say my feelings are different.

Just looking the cockpit windows makes me think the A330/340 is a louder cockpit.

Industry article on a/c purchasers/leasers had them bashing Airbus for not improving their product.

So, if you have significant time on both, could you enlighten us?

B737NG
10th May 2006, 01:52
You will find it hard to get somebody who flew extended hours on a Scarebus and in a Bobby.

I am quiete happy with the fly by wire technology in the B777. I did A330 SIM in our center and I never felt comfortable when I wanted to fly basic. But again: I did not get a proper training in any Airbus. But from the A300 to the A330/340 you will be comfortable as you are used to Airbus terminology. If you go to B777 then you are happy with the conventional feature what Mr. Boeing puts in there.

Our company did both within the last few years: Took Pilots of the A300 to the A330 and to the B777. Both took the best out of it but most of them call themself lucky if the get moved to the B777. That would tell me something.

Fly safe and land happy

NG

misd-agin
10th May 2006, 02:51
Family member flew A320's and 767/777. They wished Boeing had put a sidestick controller in the 777.

I'd guess the 777 is nicer but having an informed opinion would be better.

Good book on developement of widebody airliners is "The Sporty Game" by John Newhouse(1982).

B737NG
10th May 2006, 03:26
The sidestick is it what I did not like at the first time. It is the same today, just my personal thing. It has nothing to do with the liability of the Aircraft but the feedback you have in all conventional Aircraft. That suits old Guys like me...In 11 years and 5 month it is over, I retire then. Maybe Boeing was listening more to old guys like me when they created the fly by wire and used a Yoke instead of a Sidestick. Attari-Kid versus Conventional Card player.... Not a competition just a question of the next generation Aviation. Same when the first glass came and FMC came in, treated like a mystery and today? Just use the fingers over the pad and run. In the B737-300/400/500 where all Instruments aroound the ADI conventional, because nobody trusted the LCD-screens. Now the STBY Instruments in the B777 are a LCD-screen as well. Time changes, technology changes. This job needs you to advance and learn until the last day. Neverthereless is still some space left for some personal preference. I have found my way and my goal.

Fly safe land happy

NG

misd-agin
10th May 2006, 15:07
[quote=B737NG]The sidestick is it what I did not like at the first time. It is the same today, just my personal thing. It has nothing to do with the liability of the Aircraft but the feedback you have in all conventional Aircraft. That suits old Guys like me...In 11 years and 5 month it is over, I retire then. Maybe Boeing was listening more to old guys like me when they created the fly by wire and used a Yoke instead of a Sidestick.

The comments I've heard tend to be in favor of the sidestick once guys get used to it. Unfortunately the decision makers are made up of the old farts. Guess which way they voted?

11 yrs 10 months to go. What's it feel like to be your age? :=

misd-agin
11th May 2006, 02:43
From the "Rumor that A350 is dead" thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetavia
Read about it here http://www.flightglobal.com/Articles/2006/05/08/206441/Airline+criticism+of+Airbus+A350+forces+airframer+ to+make+radical+changes+to+fuselage%2c+wing+and.ht ml (http://www.flightglobal.com/Articles/2006/05/08/206441/Airline+criticism+of+Airbus+A350+forces+airframer+to+make+ra dical+changes+to+fuselage%2c+wing+and.html)

http://www.flightglobal.com/Articles/2006/05/08/206440/When+to+let+go+Why+Airbus+must+avoid+paying+the+pr ice+for+A350.html (http://www.flightglobal.com/Articles/2006/05/08/206440/When+to+let+go+Why+Airbus+must+avoid+paying+the+price+for+A3 50.html)

These two articles sort of answer my question as to what's the better a/c, the 777 or A330/340. Not from a pilot's POV but at least from an operator's POV.