PDA

View Full Version : NAVs/WSO

Ridgerunner
7th May 2006, 19:02
Hello all,

I am currently on the UAS under the new system and have a PPL. I love flying and I am thorougly enjoying the UAS and the experience it offers. I have been browsing this forum for some time now, and I am trying to assess my future career prospects. Unfortunately I will not be accepted as a pilot on the RAF due to slight shortsightedness. I will however be suitable for a Navigator/Weapons System Operator. If I decide to apply and become a Nav, what sort of tasks would I perform, what responsibilities would I have and what would the possibility of switching to pilot be once I have been in for a few years? People have said I would be frustrated when I love being in command and flying so much, to be riding rear seat, and I have also been told that Navs are treated as "4 th class citizens" on the social pecking order. What are your experiences and suggestions? I will add that I am not in the position to pay my way to become an airline pilot, not that I want to do that anyway being a glorified bus driver, so I need to be realisitic about a future career prospect in aviation.

Thanks,
RR

Manual Reversion
7th May 2006, 19:13
It may be that you are being 'slightly shortsighted' ruling out potential job options already!
All the best
Glorified Bus Driver

fantaman
7th May 2006, 19:19
Nothing wrong with Nav and WSOp mate, I'm applying for Pilot, Nav and WSOp at the moment and to be honest I'll be as happy as a pig in s:mad: t no matter what I get!

As long as I'm flying on a day to day basis be it up the front or down the back thats all that matters!

Vidal
7th May 2006, 19:23
Mate,

I found myself in your position many years ago, despite what you see in m ost threads (JPA, DII, etc) being in the RAF is, in my opinion, unsurpassed by any alternative. Fair one - I've never been a civvie airline pilot. However, I couldn't fly in the RAF at all - no pilot, nav, ALM etc. so I went for Air Traffic. I'm not saying you should necessarily go for that (go for WSO if you can get it) but I haven't looked back - well, not too often and not for more than a couple of minutes! Sounds like you want in anyway chap - go for it. :ok:

Ridgerunner
7th May 2006, 19:24
My understanding is that a Nav and WSO is essentially the same task, as I notice that the trade of Nav is no longer listed on the RAF Career website, instead replaced by WSO. Can you clarify this?

Thanks for the replies thusfar.

gashman
7th May 2006, 20:07
For what it's worth, having worked with navs, I think that the job title covers a huge variety of jobs. The day to day life of a herc nav is probably very different from that of a GR4 nav. If being part of a fast jet fleet is your bag, just be aware that competition will probably be quite fierce as the F3 downsizes and some of the navs jump ship to the mud moving fleet.

Whatever happens, loads of my ex-UAS buddies are in the RAF and between us we have experienced squadron life flying in allsorts of fantastic flying machines all over the world doing things which even the richest people in the world can not afford. When we catch up with each other every now and then, we all have interesting stories to tell. Crack on.

And navs are not 4th class types, just be able to take a joke and give banter back in return. All the best with your career choice, and remember that you can always keep your ppl flying up, especially if you have your own plane and take advantage of the hangar space on station. Just don't give your pilot "flying advice" 'cos he'll get a bit miffed.

GM:ok:

threepointonefour
7th May 2006, 20:12
WSO = Weapons Systems Officer = Navigator (Officer) or Commisioned WSOp

WSOp = NCO (Sgt etc) Weapons Systems Operator = (used to be called) Air Loadmasters, Air Signallers, Air Electronics Operators (Air Eng is now effectively defunct for those joining)

WSO
- Fast Jets (prob only GR4 for you due to F3 being phased out)
- AAI
Air Transport = VC10 / C130
Air Tanking = VC10
ISTAR = E3 / Sentinel
- Maritime = Nimrod

WSOp
- AEOps = Nimrod
- Air Sig = Language training then ISTAR type platform
- ALM = C130 / Helo / SAR Winchman

Jobs with a fairly long-term future (IMHO)
WSO - Nimrod, then GR4
WSOp - All

navibrator
8th May 2006, 06:43
Navs are treated as "4 th class citizens" on the social pecking order.

Nope - I never have been - and I trust that will never happen. My background is Air Defence - and as you may have read, you take banter but the pilots expect it back.

In the future, the number of WSO's will be much reduced and on for fewer aircraft. You are part of a team and just because you don't "command" the aircraft, doesn't mean to say you are not "responsible" for either all or part of the sortie/mission.

If you want to fly in the RAF, being a WSO is on par with being a pilot - nothing more and nothing less. Unless of course you have a certain character streak which makes you believe you are part of some master race. Most of them have never flown with a nav anyway so what do they know?

Have fun.