PDA

View Full Version : A Historic Day - Saudi Arabia Wants Tourists!

bealine
7th May 2006, 12:13
New Saudi bid to woo non-Muslim tourists

http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/Story.asp?Article=142919&Sn=WORL&IssueID=29048

New Saudi push to woo tourists

DUBAI: For the first time, Saudi Arabia is looking to encourage non-Muslim tourists.

"We promise you an experience that will hit your soul, mind and spirit ... (with) lots of nightlife," Prince Sultan bin Salman, who heads the kingdom's Supreme Commission for Tourism, said in Dubai at the opening of a tourism promotion expo.

"We have nothing to hide, we will open up so the world can see," he said, emphasising that the term 'nightlife' for Saudis tends to mean wholesome family activities.

Saudis are known for their love of night-time picnics during which they smoke water-pipes and consume large quantities of bitter coffee and tea.

Prince Sultan promised visas in 24 hours and even upon arrival for some nationals.

The kingdom, which joined the World Trade Organisation in December and has a significant youthful population eager to embrace globalisation, wants to open up to tourists, especially non-Muslims, while at the same time retaining its Islamic values and traditions.

Prince Sultan said the kingdom wants to attract 1.5 million tourists a year by 2020, excluding the millions of Muslims that flock to the kingdom for the Haj.

He spoke of the ambitious goal of making tourism account for 18 per cent of the gross domestic product by 2020.

Saudi Arabia previously announced plans to spend billions on beefing up its tourism infrastructure and to break up the monopoly held by the state-owned carrier Saudi Arabian Airlines on domestic travel.

MarkD
7th May 2006, 16:54
Well, I'd like to go the third week in December, but I wonder where I could get Mass in on the 25th... :rolleyes:

lexxity
7th May 2006, 17:54
Will I still have to wear a hijab (sp?) or abaya?

Leezyjet
7th May 2006, 20:23
They have probably seen the success of Dubai and surrounding countries, and now they want a piece of the pie for themselves. That or they have realised that black gold won't be around forever and they have sh!t all else to offer the world and need another income source.

Think they are going to have a tough battle ahead though trying to convince people to visit, especially if they make non-muslims (especially women) obay all their stupid rules and regs.

:ugh:

mutt
7th May 2006, 22:11
Strangely enough tourist visas aren’t new…. They started issuing those years ago!!!

Scuba diving in Saudi is awesome, certainly better than Egypt.

Look at the number of people visiting Petra, but how many have seen Madain Saleh or the ancient biblical cities surrounding it? Or enjoyed the joy of paragliding off the mountains of Abha before descending into its historic past…

Yep the restrictions apply, no booze, women in black……

Personally I don’t want tourists here.

Mutt.

Bangkokeasy
8th May 2006, 01:20
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha - bonk!

I can think of MANY reasons why this is a complete non-starter.

Leaving aside the religious police, the enforced segregation of the sexes, the complete lack of any form of entertainment, the insidious censorship that left, for instance, my hotel brochure full of black marker pen marks, where the women featured were not suitably attired from head to foot, etc etc etc. Then there is the security issues, including highly "selective" airport security.

No no and again no. Wake up and smell the nasty, bitter tasting coffee!!

Cyclic Hotline
8th May 2006, 02:05
Don't forget your approved swimwear if you go!

Phwoaar (http://www.hasema.com/shopen/products.asp?cat=1):eek:

bealine
8th May 2006, 09:54
Personally, I will keep an open mind and Mrs Bealine and I might visit within the next year!

It is by opening up to visitors from overseas that some relaxation of the strict rules and regs may occur, n'est ce pas? Maybe not immediately, but over 10 - 15 years hence, we may see a very different Saudi Arabia! Certainly, I am attracted by the history and by the relaxation opportunities on the shores of the Red Sea!

.......and we don't have a problem with not drinking alcohol (we're both teetotal) and we are quite prepared to dress and act in a dignified manner so as not to cause offence!

Having played with Saudi princes on the playing fields of Millfield, I know that their families were always very hospitable to us - and always left loads of sticky comestibles for the princes to share after lights out!

Personally, I find this very exciting - I think the world will change beyond our imaginations even within my lifetime!

1. I never thought I'd live to see the Berlin Wall torn down.

2. I never thought the "Eastern Bloc" would freely trade with the West.

3. I never thought Saudi Arabia would welcome visitors from non-Muslim countries (especially, if the rumours are true, that Jewish vistors will be welcomed!)

I really feel we're poised on the edge of some very exciting developments!