PDA

View Full Version : Lessons at EGNT / NCL

carsnap
7th May 2006, 10:02
Hi all,

Could anyone from Newcastle airport tell me where would probably be the best place to take lessons for PPL.

I know about Newcastle Aero Club and that is about it.

Is there any problem with me taking lessons at my age (15), or does it not matter?

If anyone who knows of anywhere or can answer my question, please reply to this topic, or if you're from Newcastle and would like to chat, my IM usernames are in my Profile.

Thanks,

Dave :cool:

qdmaviation
7th May 2006, 10:17
i fly at the helicopter school at the airport which has a great atmosphere with excellent instructors. Top place. The helicopter school operates the fixed wing school and is also excellent.

Wonderful place

carsnap
7th May 2006, 10:39
Ah right, I guess that is Newcastle Aero Club too, as I think Northumbria Helicopters are part of the Aero Club.

What do you think would be best to fly, a heli or a plane?

Thanks,

Dave

Paris Dakar
7th May 2006, 11:37
Dave,

Newcastle Aero Club doesn't exist anymore - the new organisation is Northumbria Flying School

The man you need to talk to is Neil Clark and you can get him by contacting:

http://www.northumbria-helicopters.co.uk/

Fixed wing as well as heli are available at EGNT. My suggestion would be to pop up the airport and have a look at what they offer.

PD

carsnap
7th May 2006, 11:59
Dave,
Newcastle Aero Club doesn't exist anymore - the new organisation is Northumbria Flying School
The man you need to talk to is Neil Clark and you can get him by contacting:
http://www.northumbria-helicopters.co.uk/
Fixed wing as well as heli are available at EGNT. My suggestion would be to pop up the airport and have a look at what they offer.
PD

Ah right, wasn't sure if it was still called Newcastle Aero Club, because I only used the old Yellow Pages and the number in there for Newcastle Aero Club still put us through to people.

I will email Neil Clark now, and I might be able to go up to the airport either during the week or next weekend.

Is that where you learnt (Northumbria Flying School)?

Thanks.

Dave

BigStu
7th May 2006, 12:44
Have a look at the new Northumbria Flying School website:
http://www.northumbria-flying-school.co.uk/
Bobby is still adding in the finishing touches but the new site looks great.
BS

Paris Dakar
7th May 2006, 13:01
BigStu,

Thanks for that link - I didn't realise the site existed at the moment.

Dave,

No I didn't, I did my PPL in the US but joined the now defunct Newcastle Aero Club on my return in 1995. There are some good folk up there ensuring that GA still exists at EGNT and I know that Neil & co have put a lot of time and effort into getting the fixed-wing school back up and running.

carsnap
7th May 2006, 13:22
I never knew that existed either, cheers BigStu!

Had a good read through that and it seems like a good place. Might have a trip there soon for trial lesson.

Anyone from Newcastle want to chat, I'd love to hear your experiences and see some photos. You can contact me through PM's here or by IM:

MSN: [email protected]

Cheers,

Dave

VT10
9th May 2006, 11:49
Go to Durham Tees Valley or Carlisle.
I wouldn't touch Newcastle with a barge-pole. Neil Clark's a smashing fella and I've no axe to grind with the Aero Club (other than it being Darras Hall Social Club - they like to talk and wear the NAC jumpers but very few know what the inside of an aircraft looks like), but my advice is study the costs VERY carefully.
Newcastle is anti-GA and the airport management are desperate to get rid of it, hence the costs (landing fees etc) are exhorbitant.
The hourly rate may look attractive, but enquire about additional costs.
ATC will keep you sat at the holding point for hours while you sit there with the engine running, paying for it and learning nothing. (Not ATC's fault I think they're under orders to make believe its a busy airport)
Even the fuel costs are shocking.
Save your money & look elsewhere...

Paris Dakar
9th May 2006, 12:30
VT10,

I don't doubt that EGNT is a busy airport but you can avoid some of the 'holding' problems by being a little more selective with the timing of your flights.

I do agree however that the landing fees add a fair bit to the total price - especially if you chuck a few T&Gs in for good measure but you need to balance that against the time & costs of driving to the other airfields you mention (depending on where you live).

Shropshire Lad
9th May 2006, 18:03
Also they have an arrangement with Carlisle which is excellent as for the cost of a touch and go at EGNT you can bash the circuit to your hearts content and get a bit of cross country nav as well (or at least they did when I last flew in Feb before trying to complete my exams!)

qdmaviation
10th May 2006, 13:53
People at Newastle airport flying school are great, it is swings and roundabouts about the holds and waiting.

I have flown on many occasions and had no problems. Neil is a top bloke.

They have a agreement at Carlisle which is great, I would say go for it.

Good luck anyway

VT10
10th May 2006, 19:32
Why be selective in timing your flights? Surely the idea is to go flying when you want or when the opportunity arises, and if you're training, it may be aircraft of instructor availability that dictates when you fly.

As for the arrangement at Carlisle, how much does it cost you to get there and back in a PA28 at Newcastle; and then there the landing fee to pay!
If you've got to go to Carlisle, its cheaper by car.

EGNT busy? That's the funniest thing I've heard in years!:p

Be honest with the lad, he should shop around VERY carefully.

spoilers armed
13th May 2006, 11:54
I read this thread and had a good laugh at the notion that EGNT is "not busy"
I learned to fly there and can confirm it is v busy,on the day of my first solo the lesson went something like this, change of runway 25/07 orbits on all end of downwind legs followed by me going solo to be number two to a comercial with the usual wake vortex reccomendation of 6 mile spacing.
It may seem expensive but take into account travel to say T/side or Carlisle (can be very expensive as I found out,charged £ 45 pounds for instructor and this extra and that extra ) if you live local EGNT may be the best option.
The staff are a nice bunch of people with extensive experience,facilitys are good also. It may pay you to try them all but remember one of them are charitable organisations and are there to make money,enjoy learning.

Spoilers.....:ok:

Maude Charlee
13th May 2006, 12:02
NCL is only busy at times - unless they have miraculously quadrupled the business there in the 5 months since I left. Doubtful.

The commercial traffic comes in phases. It can be bedlam for about 90 minutes and then just as quickly you can go almost an hour without a single airline movement. Learn the pattern and work around it. Winter is the airport's quietest period (around October to April) as the charter traffic drops off to a minimum.

However, it is the weather that really dictates when you can go bug smashing in a little spamcan. :}

VT10
13th May 2006, 13:09
Quite agree. I've seen busier GA airfields. Anyone who thinks EGNT's busy has had a sheltered upbringing.

Things like this don't help either...and not for the first time....
DEPARTURE TERMINAL : NEWCASTLE ( NCL ) / EGNT Facility and Service
EGNT APT 20060505B0EV01 C2200/06Q)EGPX/QFULT/IV/NBO / A/000/999/N5502.2W00141.5R005A)EGNT B)200605101433 C)200605121200E)NO AVGAS AVBL:D

All designed to hope GA gets forced from the field. When it is available its damned expensive too, probably more so than other North-east airfields.

Shropshire Lad
13th May 2006, 15:30
There's more to this than just the cost - I started at Teesside and rapidly got fed up of the drive from Newcastle there and back for a cost saving of about £10 an hour. To be honest it seemed worth it to avoid the 1 hour drive each way as I live 15 minutes from EGNT. All sorts of ways to shave costs at Carlisle incuding doubling up to share flights - also very sociable! I think the arrangement is that there is 1 landing fee for as many circuits as you want - plus your nav there and back is never wasted so I really don't see it as a problem.

Paris Dakar
13th May 2006, 18:58

What are the additional costs you are advising of here?

geordiejet
16th May 2006, 11:21
Hey,
I'm seriously considering joining the club at NCL, and I notice they have a Bulldog for hire, at just £5 more than a C150. As I much prefer low wings, and money is very tight, I think the Bulldog may be just the ticket.

Anyone flown this? As there is only one example with the club, is availability an issue? I've only flown a C150/152 and Seminoles so would need difference training, and would have to get used to using a stick!

Cheers :-)

VT10
16th May 2006, 11:40
Additional costs?
Landing fees (peak or off-peak). The hourly rate is advertised + landings.
At EGNT they're a fortune.
What does the hourly rate include? Is is chock-to-chock while you pay for 20 mins or more waiting at the hold, or are you paying for departure to touch down?
Tuition? Is ground school included or additional?
Then there's a fortune for your airport pass, not forgetting a wee bit extra for a high-viz vest.

For a young lad who's cash may be tight, all serious issues I would have thought.

Same goes for geordiejet. Check what you'll pay for. The rate may not seem so attractive when landng fees are added. I believe there's a Bulldog for hire at DTV too.

geordiejet
16th May 2006, 13:08
Yeah DTV was where I was looking for originally, as I wasn't too sure what the score was with the school at NCL. Yeah £18 to land is a lot, but I'm not too sure if the landing fees are included in the advertised hourly rates with the two clubs in DTV, whereas on NCL'sclub site, it clearly states landing fees are extra. I'm hoping to fly one or two hours a month, so I'm going to have to have a serious think and draw up some sort of cost-benefit analysis.

Maude Charlee
18th May 2006, 19:18
Hey,
I'm seriously considering joining the club at NCL, and I notice they have a Bulldog for hire, at just £5 more than a C150. As I much prefer low wings, and money is very tight, I think the Bulldog may be just the ticket.
Anyone flown this? As there is only one example with the club, is availability an issue? I've only flown a C150/152 and Seminoles so would need difference training, and would have to get used to using a stick!
Cheers :-)

I wasn't aware that the club had a Bulldog. I always thought this was tied in to Ashton Aviation. Hmmm, might have a look if true.

As for flying it, well it's a great little aeroplane. In my opinion, far easier to fly than a C150 or PA28 for the following reasons;

1. Somebody actually designed it, rather than throwing an assortment of bits together which by some happy coincidence resembled an aeroplane. Everything is where it should be in the cockpit.

2. It is very responsive. 'Point and go' handling, as opposed to the 'wallows like a pig' handling you may be used to.

3. Great visibility.

4. Spacious (in relative terms).

5. Aerobatic, which in a 'Dog is a hoot!

I loved my training in the 'Dog, and when I first set foot in one of the spamcan alternatives I was enormously disappointed. It was my first aircraft and it is a doddle to fly. You will have no problem adapting whatsoever, except for the fact that you will forever more hate the alternative. ;)

geordiejet
19th May 2006, 08:36
Yeah, I just came accross the Bulldog on the price list, but it does look like a nice aircraft! Its only £5 more than a 150 :-)

GolfWhiskeyKilo
19th May 2006, 09:39
To confirm, the clubs at DTV, prices include landings of the unlimited variety.

WK

VT10
19th May 2006, 11:44
As opposed to the unlimited pocket variety needed at EGNT :=

GolfWhiskeyKilo
19th May 2006, 12:10
Indeed, oh how I long for an unlimited pocket! :ugh:

GonTek
21st May 2006, 15:56
Bulldog :- The club has access to it, and it is now on it's annual at EGNC I am led to believe. And as MC states very much "point and squirt flying,good fun and you will need to do the conversion training. Can anybody confirm how long a type rating lasts. ie: complex vp retractable u/c. As far as I am aware the EGNV one is now at Fishburn

Felix Saddler
21st May 2006, 16:23
EGNT is good, and is also very exciting flying along side the larger aircraft, expensive though. :D

Maude Charlee
22nd May 2006, 18:29
Gon Tek

I stand to be corrected (OK, no I don't because I'm sitting down), but there is no 'type rating' for wobbly props or windy up and down gear. A SEP/MEP rating covers all variations on a theme, although in practice you will find most clubs/groups will want to see evidence of previous experience on a particular variant or insist you undergo familiarisation training. There is no additional endorsement to the rating in your licence to specify additions to the SEP/MEP rating, which I am sure you already know, is valid for 2 years.

Felix Saddler
24th May 2006, 12:57
Is there anyone that flies at egnt currently?

NT42
24th May 2006, 17:08
Felix Saddler - yep there's a few of us on here. I'm revising for the skills test at the moment (with too many theory exams to do!).

I've not commented so far, but all I can say is Northumbria Flight Training has great FIs, grat atmosphere, and I've met some great people there too.

Price wise I cannot comment, living 30 miles North, I didn't have the choice of Teesside. And, being so young, the original poster probably doesn't either, considering it's 2 years before he can drive...

Go to Newcastle and have a trial flight, that's the best thing to do if you ask me.

northumbriaflyingsch
27th May 2006, 14:02
Hello Everyone,

This thread has brought up some issues that are important.

Costs

I have tried to make the prices quite explicit on the website. I have included under the 'learn to fly' section every cost that I can think of including CAA fees. Items like High-vis jackets, headsets and airside passes are either not necessary or are available on free loan. 1 to 1 tuition is available at £16ph (standard rate) and the Old Aero Club Style evening classes continue. Let it be noted however that tuition is free if it is part of the flying. i.e. your brief on engine failures is free if you are going to fly afterwards. We tried to keep the prices the same as the Aero Club which was not registered for VAT but of course we are (£20 VAT difference + £1.30 fuel per litre), so I hope everyone understands that this is passion for aviation not profits.

Aircraft

The Bulldog is available to use after diffences checks and is a beautiful aircraft to fly - real flying. Booking is made online. The school is a member of the bulldog group and therefore you members have access to it through the school. The has come about because of the bankrupcy of Ashton Aviation. The aircraft were in a less than pleasant state when the school bought the aircraft and set up in 2005. (The Cessna is also part owned and has had less investment because of this.) Since then the aircraft have been refurbished - see the gallery for some pics, GPSs, rear intercomms etc have been added. Many of the aircraft have had new aplostery added also. We are hoping to get G-KART back online in the Summer - completely overhauled with new engine, NEW WINGS, new panel, new seats, GPS etc.

Traffic

I would be lying if I said Newcastle is not 'busy' at times. The truth is that orbiting does happen, but you just need to time it wright. You can get more than 5 t+g's in one hour just not at the busy times, during which 2-3 touch and go's is more common due to holds.
The situation with Carlisle is as follows: Unlimited circuits for £15, if a full stop landing is made that's £15. Its roughly 40 minutes to Carlisle if you choose to go. You can go with a fellow student and share the costs if you want. Land away experience is important but don't assume that you must go to Carlisle to complete your circuits - 3 hours of the syllabus.
Times are from chocks away to shut down so do indeed include any run-holds. Because of the traffic problems there are currently peak landing fees between 10-11am (£36) which can be flown over and land at 11.05am. However next month (June) sees the introduction of peak landing fees between 3-5pm. The school has allocated flying slots to avoid these times leaving 30 minutes of inactivity from 3-3.30pm.

Instructors

See the website for names. Andy and John are our full time intructors, with the rest part time. I won't comment on them as I believe that's unprofessional. What I will say is that Newcastle Aero Club was the oldest club in the UK, and I believe that experience and club atmosphere has continued with the school. Andy has an CPL/IR FI >1000hrs, John (CFI, FE) 72 years, too many hours to count.

Fuel

There are sometimes issues with fuel availability, but these are rare, a backup supply is available and the problems are being resolved.

northumbriaflyingsch
27th May 2006, 15:05
Go to Durham Tees Valley or Carlisle.
I wouldn't touch Newcastle with a barge-pole. Neil Clark's a smashing fella and I've no axe to grind with the Aero Club (other than it being Darras Hall Social Club - they like to talk and wear the NAC jumpers but very few know what the inside of an aircraft looks like), but my advice is study the costs VERY carefully.
Newcastle is anti-GA and the airport management are desperate to get rid of it, hence the costs (landing fees etc) are exhorbitant.
ATC will keep you sat at the holding point for hours while you sit there with the engine running, paying for it and learning nothing. (Not ATC's fault I think they're under orders to make believe its a busy airport)
Even the fuel costs are shocking.
Save your money & look elsewhere...

VT10,

The school is nolonger a social club and nolonger requires black ties to be worn. However with 300 members the school is far from being driven out but is thriving (albeit limited by the airport). If you've had a bad experience nobody can learn if you don't critise - get in touch if you want to have a chat.

Thanks

Bobby

GonTek
29th May 2006, 08:55
No need to stand to be corrected Maude Charlie (unless correction is your thing Sir !) I read or misread as may be the case that differences training lasted a certain length of time if not used, ie no sectors flown in that type of aircraft and it makes sense that any club would make sure you are competent to fly the aircraft.

Bobby has hit the nail on the head if you want to know ask !
And if you want to learn to fly EGNT is not the worst place on earth but I agree it is not the cheapest but anything enjoyable never is.

It is a buisness and not a charity after all.

Gontek....:ok:

Happyeater
29th May 2006, 09:13
I currently fly from Newcastle as a student PPL. The options I had on deciding where to go were whether I fancied an hour plus drive to DTV (and possibly have a cancelled lesson) or a 15 min drive to Newcastle. Also, remember the exams and ground school. If you need help (and I did) the FI's there are only too willing to sit on a one to one and go through the more difficult parts. In fact Neil has recently spent quite a lot on an overhead presentation kit showing the 7 exams in English!! I did my Navigation there and it helped a great deal.

Its worth mentioning the quality of the FI's too. There are younger and older FI's there and I've been luck enough to fly with most of them. Hand on heart, they're all excellent. You'd possibly find one (or two) suited to your personality and style more than the rest and if thats the case, great, but they are all enthusiastic and good teachers.

Then there is the social side of things. Neil is putting on a coach to go to the Farnborough Air Show, there and back in a day. Its booking up already. There are usually members of the Club sitting around in the bay window area of the club chatting about all things (including flying). Loads of experience there to be gained by simply sitting with them all.

Go and have a look, chat to Neil, Lynda and the Instructors, look at the training room and facilities, sit in an aircraft, chat to the students there and decide for yourself.

VT10
29th May 2006, 17:03
Bobby,
I think that if you read my original post carefully, I did point out that I've no axe to grind with the Aero Club / Flying School.
I would class Neil Clark as a friend and I personally think he's done a remarkable job against the odds since he took over flying school operations.
As a place to learn to fly, Newcastle sucks.
Nothing to do with the flying school, just the rules, regulations and above all the restrictions imposed on the place by the Airport Authorities.

Having to fly to EGNC to do circuits and then pay extra, fuel at £1.30 a litre, restrictions and 'slots' for take-off & landing.....what's that all about?
Its bad enough getting decent weather at times without then having to try to balance that up with a slot, be it peak or off peak, and the associated costs.
I like to fly my aircraft when I want to, not when some bloody authority dictates.
Its not like its too busy for light aircraft movements; the Airport just doesn't want GA.
Where have all the private aircraft gone and why?

What happened to the Open days, or was that the victim of the airport authorities too?

If the Flying school is going well, great.
Personally, with the costs & restrictions currently imposed on GA operations by the Airport Authority, Newcastle is the last place I'd recommend to learn to fly to a young lad with a limited budget.

That is no reflection on the school, the owners or the people employed there.

VT10
(Ex EGNU & EGNT, but still roaming the North-east sky, when I want, at any time, without restriction, able to to circuits when I please, using Avgas purchased at a fraction of the Newcastle price, no hi-viz jacket or expensive pass, need I go on.......?)

Felix Saddler
30th May 2006, 00:03
I want to start my flying at egnt but i do believe what you are saying is very realistic.

northumbriaflyingsch
30th May 2006, 13:50
Hi everyone,

The truth is only a fraction of people go to Carlisle to do their circuits. So I think this is less of an issue than people think.

The issue about landing/takeoff slots was made worse by myself being unclear. Their are no official slots imposed on the school by the airport. The school operates a diary system for aircraft booking. Each diary slot is 1h30 long - during which you have use of the aircraft. These slots have been arranged to fit around the peak landing fees so nobody need never pay the peak fee. These slots are not 100% fixed either. You can take a double slot or take an abnormal time or an whole week (touring) if you please. The slots start at 9.30am and go to 20.00pm with training slots being available either side if you arrange them with your instructor. I don't know what the system is a DTV but it would be mayhem without this booking system.

The only reason that an aircraft might be left waiting at the hold is that the flying school is at the wrong end of the runway and backtracking is required. ATC is under orders that GA cannot cross the runway and use taxiway Delta, in case they get lost! Instructors know the problem and are quite quick at the backtrack and takeoff, such that ATC can normally allow an aircraft straight onto the runway. It is PPL holders that fly every 28 days that take longer and thus ATC wait for a larger gap.

The cost of fuel is being worked on with the intention of reducing the cost in the future. I can say no more than this, as this is a sensitive issue.

DTV operates mainly C152s which are not the same as Warriors. The warriors are larger and more powerful aircraft. They are more stable and quicker machines and such can fly in worse weather - a must for this country. For example the climb rate in a C152 is roughly 700-800 fpm at absolute most. The warriors get more than 1000fpm, even in summer. Cleveland's special price is based on payment of half the costs upfront, so you need to know that you like the place and are going to pass in 45 hours or that will not be the real total. Prices at both our school and Cleveland are going to change because of the fuel, so please don't think it's a Newcastle issue.

Private aircraft have disappeared because of parking and hangarage fees which have not influenced prices at the school. They have gone to smaller airfields such as Fishburn. The Open Days have fallen victim to the airport. But this has been added to by the demise of the aero club. The flying school is now only just on its feet and starting to redo things that the aero club was accustomed to do. Thus, it would not surprise me if we had some sort of open day this year or maybe next year, now that the school is capable of handling the event. As 'happyeater' said there is always somebody sat in the school to talk to and the coach to Farnborough is 32.50 pounds per seat return based on 30 people in a 49 seat coach. The cost will be less with more people - everyone welcome.

Comparison

Newcastle - 15 minutes drive or metro, DTV - 1 hour drive (legal speeds)
Consider if your parent(s) will wait around for effectively half a day if you go to DTV. 2 hours travel, upto 2 hours there = 4 hours.
C152 vs. Warrior (or C150, if you prefer)
Pay as you fly prices are 4 pounds different between EGNT and EGNV (C152 vs. C150). Over 45 hours that's near the price difference for the medical and other costs. Soon to close when fuel issues are sorted.
DTV can take you to CPL/IR. EGNT offers PPL, IMC, FI, Aerobatics. No word on CPL. Both operations have commerical experience (AOC). EGNV offers more - true.
Availability of aircraft - check
etc
Visit both the schools if not more - you've got Border Air Training in Carlisle as well, and see which is the best for you. I can answer your specific questions and critisism regarding Newcastle.

Bobby

northumbriaflyingsch
30th May 2006, 13:54
Just to add to what I have said, I am starting a survey to measure the time spent at the hold (actually holding not performing the run-up) so we can have facts to throw around.
Bobby

Felix Saddler
31st May 2006, 14:56
ok i want to start my ppl at EGNT what do i do?

northumbriaflyingsch
31st May 2006, 18:22
Hey Felix,

First of all ring the school 0191 2861321, 0191 2861363 to make sure someone is available and ask when is the best time to drop by.
Arrange a time that would be mutually acceptable to come in. We can pick you up from the Metro if you want. It's a 5 minute walk otherwise, which is pleasant in Summer.
Speak to as many instructors/staff/students as possible whilst at the school, tour the facilities, look at the planes, ask about costs etc. Be direct - ask what are the pros and cons. Make a list of questions to ask beforehand.
Book a date for a 'trial lesson' to test your ability and to taste the instructional quality etc
If you're unsure, go to DTV and Carlisle and do the same. Its important at this stage to get it wright, as the wrong match is nothing but costly.
Take a couple of lessons. The school waivers membership fees until a few lessons into the course in case you have second thoughts, so there is no commitment.
Continue booking 'slots' at your pace. In no time you'll be ready for test with the fuhrer (the CFI). Simple!Any questions? I'm here to answer them.

Bobby

microlight AV8R
31st May 2006, 18:49
Gon Tek

I stand to be corrected (OK, no I don't because I'm sitting down), but there is no 'type rating' for wobbly props or windy up and down gear. A SEP/MEP rating covers all variations on a theme, although in practice you will find most clubs/groups will want to see evidence of previous experience on a particular variant or insist you undergo familiarisation training. There is no additional endorsement to the rating in your licence to specify additions to the SEP/MEP rating, which I am sure you already know, is valid for 2 years.

I think the confusion is with the NPPL which covers the most basic aircraft types and you need to do additional type training to cover such things as variable pitch props, retractable gear etc. Anybpdy confirm ?

northumbriaflyingsch
31st May 2006, 19:32
As with most aircraft (apart from helicopters, to which I am accustomed) differences training is required not a type rating, apart from the Malibu.

The NPPL allows you to fly the basic aircraft on a HGV medical. Less dual instruction time is required, but realistically who can pass as a competent pilot at 40hours TT? If it seems you're going to fall under the 45 hours for PPL, add a night rating to it, fly other aicraft, build solo time - so you're not wasting time.

If your final goal is the airlines, then there is no point getting the NPPL as you will have to upgrade it to a PPL anyway.

Shanwick Shanwick
1st Jun 2006, 13:49
Felix,

I also started my PPL at Newcastle when I was 15 but that was 19 years and 10,000 hours ago.

I re-visited the club about a month ago to do a skils test with an hour in the air.

We departed the airfield at around 1100 with no delay, flew to the north and returned at around 1200 to complete 3 circuits, none of which were held up by other traffic.

The Club aircraft and facilities are excellent and you won't find a more friendly and professional group of instructors anywhere in the country.

If you want to make a career in the industry, it's a great place to start.

Felix Saddler
1st Jun 2006, 14:01
mint, im going today on a trial lesson and hopefully book more lessons in advance!!:D

GolfWhiskeyKilo
1st Jun 2006, 14:42
Let us know how the Trial goes!

WK

GonTek
1st Jun 2006, 19:51
All of what VT 10 says has its own merits about flying when and where you want but some of us are not lucky enough to have this facility.

Bobby has stated the obvious if you need to know ask...

They are bending over backwards to make things easy for people and could not be more helpfull,I flew last night and from taxi to take off was less than 5 mins, I had only repeated the departure instructions and was told to line up and cleared for take off,So if you can pick and choose your times there should be no problems,weather permitting.

Gontek

NT42
1st Jun 2006, 20:31
Bobby, just out of interest, can you be trained on the Bulldog before you've the PPL? Would be nice to be able to fly that as well as the PA28. Just an idle curiosity - I've probably left it too late in the course anyway.

Cheers.

(Allright GonTek, long time so speak, how ya doing?)

NinjaBill
2nd Jun 2006, 09:33
I did my ppl in 5 different aircraft types (cap10b, pa28, c150, r2160 and pa38), and soloed in 3 of them (cap10b, pa28 and c150) during the course. There is no reason you can't change a/c type, however, there will be an increase in the amount of time that it takes for you to complete the course.

GonTek
2nd Jun 2006, 16:02
Hi JW : still on here now and again and fly as much as poss,went for quick/nearly quick zip to Durham the other night in C150 .

You will need differences training for the Dog and I might suggest you save your money until you have the Brown Wallet although others may think differently and I will take the heat for it .I did it after my ppl in G-NELI PA28 180 R but fitted in Night qualification with ppl,the b/dog is fun to fly and handles much differently to PA28/C150 very responsive on the stick and fully aerobatic as I found out (not keen on flying upside down )If you fancy a go let me know...

Cheers All

northumbriaflyingsch
2nd Jun 2006, 17:57
That's true.

Personally I would also advise that you hold off on the Bulldog until you have more experience, as it is a different kettle of fish to fly. Swapping aircraft this late in the course will cause problems as the Bulldog is very different to a PA28 - google the bulldog and look at some internal pictures and some checklists. Wait until you have a bit of experience under your belt and are more than confident in the Piper, then go for it! Afterall the PPL covers most SEP aircraft so interchanging will build experience, but later when flying is second nature.

Bobby

Paris Dakar
3rd Jun 2006, 21:47
'GonTek' took my young (13) nephew for flight a couple of nights back and he loved it (so did my nephew;) ). He has shown just about everybody he knows his photographs he took and is really hooked on this flying mullarkey.

If anyone has any 'aviation chores' that they need doing at EGNT (cleaning aircraft, running errands etc please let me know - cos I know a hard-working young lad who is desperate to get into aviation.

NT42
3rd Jun 2006, 22:26
Cheers guys, sounds fair enough! I will leave it until later to fly the Bulldog - no rush anyway. Quite looking forward to flying it eventually. GT - yeah, would love to have a go, cheers! Once I've wrapped up my school exams that would be great, will talk to you nearer the time.

Cheers all.

(PD - I misread and thought you were asking for someone to help with your "aviation chores", was about to volunteer!)

Paris Dakar
3rd Jun 2006, 23:07
jwforeman,

I wish I did have some aviation chores to take care of :{ .

I'm hoping to return to some regular flying soon and if you are looking for a trip in the right-hand seat - I'll let you know :ok:

GonTek
4th Jun 2006, 11:05
Thought you would be lurking in here somewhere PD::=

Glad he enjoyed it,I think he was a bit apprehensive but enjoyed it in the end and I did wind him up a little when he asked where the airport was and asked him if he knew cos I didn't .Did get a funny look !!!!
I would like to see the pics he took,he was snapping away.

Catch up with you soon

Regards all

Gontek

northumbriaflyingsch
4th Jun 2006, 19:06
I have just literally uploaded the new Northumbria Flying School Forum. I would also encourage you to sign up to the newsletter. The Members' Area is still in its early stages but I hope you find it useful to chat about the school.

Bobby

alpharomeo81
4th Jun 2006, 19:42
Hi Bobby, I subscribed to the newsletter the other day and was just wondering when it would be sent out?

northumbriaflyingsch
4th Jun 2006, 21:08
The newsletter is being worked on by Neil, JC and John O. I have no word on it yet, but I imagine it ought to be fairly soon. I'll try and push for a date.

Bobby

Maude Charlee
6th Jun 2006, 13:51
Cost aside, I have no idea why anyone would suggest waiting until after the PPL to fly the Dog.

It was the first a/c type I ever flew, up to PPL standard, and if you ask me it is infinitely easier - not to mention more fun - to fly than the 70's era junk that is a PA28. I actually belive you could reach a far higher standard more quickly in the Dog than the alternative, and that has to be a good thing. It is also an absolute doddle to land.

I would recommend an early flight in them both, and see which you feel most comfortable learning in - assuming the club is willing to oblige. No contest I reckon.

GolfWhiskeyKilo
6th Jun 2006, 14:04
Have to agree with the last poster. Flew the Dog before flying a PA28 and got to solo standard much quicker than I would have done having spent all the time in a PA28.

WK

Felix Saddler
6th Jun 2006, 14:13
had my trial lesson the other day at newcastle with JC!! it was v.good as he allowed me to fly the whole flight!! :D Absolute fantasic instructor and a great guy!! 10/10! :D :D

GolfWhiskeyKilo
6th Jun 2006, 14:53
Sounds like the little bug just took it's 1st bite...good luck, it's expensive from here on in!

WK

Paris Dakar
6th Jun 2006, 17:14
had my trial lesson the other day at newcastle with JC!!

JC is a gentleman, a superb intsructor and quite frankly the best pilot I have ever had the pleasure to sit next to.

Felix Saddler,

Get those pennies saved - and get yourself aloft again soon :)

GolfWhiskeyKilo
6th Jun 2006, 17:25
Totally agree PD, The Sarge is indeed a legend.

WK

northumbriaflyingsch
6th Jun 2006, 19:07
Historically PPL training could not be done on a variable prop aircraft (Bulldog). However having said that I can't find any supporting document for this.:confused: It may be that this rule still exists or has disappeared. Perhaps it is like the Air Law pre-solo rule that doesn't exist.

I'll keep looking

Bobby

GolfWhiskeyKilo
6th Jun 2006, 19:16
Bobby,

I flew hours towards my PPL in the Dog, not that many years ago. Like you suggest though, I soloed before the silly "air law" 'rule' was brought in by most clubs...

WK

NT42
6th Jun 2006, 19:34
<JC is a gentleman, a superb intsructor and quite frankly the best pilot I have ever had the pleasure to sit next to.>

Completely agree with that.

And regarding the bulldog - if I was on 20 hours or so, i'd probably consider it. But saying as I'm now getting fairly close to the GST (theory exams aside :mad:) I might as well leave it until I've qualified. I'm certainly looking forward to flying it, though!

Felix - fun isn't it. I'm sure you'll be there again very soon - it's hard to keep away once you've been bitten!

Felix Saddler
7th Jun 2006, 21:28
I have come down with the airbourne fever!! :ugh: :D

GonTek
12th Jun 2006, 19:50
Trouble is Felix,the only cure is to take the whole course.
Even then it's not a guaranteed cure.

And P D will sit nxt to anybody.....

Paris Dakar
12th Jun 2006, 22:33
GonTek,

Your advice to Felix Saddler is spot-on :ok:

I am rather fussy who I sit next to tho' - I'm even more fussy about who I may even share an aeroplane with, as you jolly well know ;)

GonTek
13th Jun 2006, 17:34
Me think's I have hit a nerve......

You were not fussy the last two flights Mr P D !!!!!:confused:

Must ask JC if there is any truth in the rumour that he taught Biggles to fly..

Felix : It will be fun and it will be pain but at the end of it all you get a nice pair of shiny wings and to cap it all a poo brown plastic folder with a PPL inside ( it should be leather embossed in gold for the cost ) Enjoy.

northumbriaflyingsch
13th Jun 2006, 19:51
The PPL course can be done on the bulldog, but the skills test must be done on a fixed pitch aircraft. So its six and two 3's whether you do any time on the dog.

Bobby

NinjaBill
14th Jun 2006, 09:35
Where does it say that? I can't find any reference to that rule in LASORS.

I did my skills test in a tailwheel aircraft, which has similar rules for signoff as a VP Prop.

Paris Dakar
14th Jun 2006, 11:01
GonTek,

Nah, your flying skills are fine matey :)

And, as for......

Must ask JC if there is any truth in the rumour that he taught Biggles to fly..
I have it on very good authority that JC taught Wilbur & Orville their 'stickmanship'. I did hear that the Montgolfiers asked him for some help too but he was too busy gardening! I also think that JC is the 'Stig' off BBC2s TopGear but I can't get Jeremy Clarkson to confirm this. :)

Edited to spell 'Jeremy' right............DOH!! I'm getting my JC's mixed up now!!

northumbriaflyingsch
14th Jun 2006, 12:46
This information comes straight from the fuhrer's mouth.

GonTek
14th Jun 2006, 18:19
Carefull what you say PD, JC may read this and we will be up on a charge.
He did not go to the Montgolfiers cos he was at the aero club bar ,Scotch in hand and Lord help anybody brave enough to get in the way of "Scotch"...

biggles wasn't that good anyway.

GonTek
28th Jun 2006, 19:00
Good luck with your test tomorrow........ ?

Felix Saddler
30th Jun 2006, 08:14
Its my first lesson next weekend in the execption of a 40min trial that i had the other week and i want to take my girlfriend up with me as it is our year anniversery is this possible?

geordiejet
30th Jun 2006, 08:44
I wouldn't imagine taking your girlfriend up would be a problem. But i guess it's up to the individual school. At my school, one guy took his gf along on all flights where the instructor was onboard.