PDA

View Full Version : Ben's PPL Diary

bencoulthard
6th May 2006, 18:54
Hello,
I am Ben Coulthard, this is a PPL diary, I'm not sure if this forum needs another PPL diary but its as much for me to get my thoughts down and if its any use to anyone then you are very welcome.

I wanted to learn to fly helicopters about 5 years ago, however ££££ was limited and the idea never got off the ground. Pardon the pun.

Here I am 18 months after starting my own business and things are going well. I started looking into the idea again, however helicopters just are not affordable to buy after your PPLH. After treating my brother to a 21st birthday present 1 hour trial lesson the decision was made to do the good old regular PPL for myself and fullfil an ambition.

My 1st lesson was last Saturday, April 29th 2006, booked a 2 hour slot for midday.

On the morning of the lesson I called the school for a weather check. All was well and I headed off to the school early giving myself good time to get there, dropped the Mrs at the shopping mall en route and arrived at the school with 30 mins to spare.

After a coffee and a PFP(pre flight pee) I met my instructor. He took me into the flight briefing room and we had a little chat. Told him I'd flown radio controlled planes and helis and he realised I knew what all the controls did. His next words were "well you know all that bollocks so lets go fly". I'm not sure that's what I wanted to hear but away we went.

I then did the pre-flight checks outside and in, which everything seemed fine to a newb.

Next I found myself sat in the pilots seat, amazingly calm to my suprise, but sat on the left(thought we drove right hand drive in UK) half a steering wheel and all the clocks were wrong!! After being assured this left hand drive stuff is normal we continued. With all systems go. We fired up a few more checks and started to taxi, TAXIING good god these things don't handle on the ground.

After a few strange cornering manouvers we got to the end of the runway in 1 piece. The next hour or so went quickly, time flies whan your having fun and when you fly too!!

The controls seemed fairly natural to me, apart from the crazy taxiing there were no suprises. We flew a few basic moves and all went as well as could be hoped for a 1st lesson, untill, my instructor got on the radio requesting to land, he's pointing ahead to me and saying line yourself up with the runway. WHAT RUNWAY? I can't see it, I felt stupid, he's pointing and I can't see, after about a minute I realise he's not pointing so far into the distance and the runway has some great big lights and its right under my nose :confused: IDIOT!!

Lesson 2
Wednesday 3rd May, Went to the airfield midday to talk about the possibility of hiring a plane i buy back to the school (before the flood starts i've decided against this) and realised it was such a nice day that i should stay for a lesson. None were available until 1830 so I got comfy with a few magazines and a coffee.

1815 I went out to check the plane over with my new gotten cessna 150/152 checklist feeling all pilot like. Nothing found untoward except low fuel. Waited for fuel 10 mins and away we go.

I was suprised how much i remembered from the 1st lesson, take off and climb with no assistance and spent the next hour climbing and descending. For some reason I can't seem to get it in my stupid head that when exiting a climb its Attitude, Power, Trim, I keep doing P.A.T. like you do at all other times. Little things confuse little minds.

All went well except for the landing. 70kts he tells me 3 stages af flaps. But I wasn't paying attention to the ASI and at 65kts we were descending too fast. :eek: DROPPED LIKE A BRICK!!!! glad it wasn't my plane. Nothing damaged on further inspection. PHEW!!

So now my hours total 2.9. I found a great 50% share for sale at another airfield so I decided to shoot over this morning and check out the flying school. Luckily they had a slot at 1200 and I booked it.

As usual I arrived with 30 mins to spare, the guy who is selling the 50% was there with the other 50% owner, they were planning to fly somewhere scenic. Had a quick chat and went to tell the school I was available. They gave me the 1st bad news of the day, unknowingly the instructor had booked another pupil in and my lesson was delayed until 1330:* . Never mind :mad: happens.

I had a good chat with the guy selling the plane and watched them plot a route, which at my level of training just confused me, but was interesting to watch.

1330 came and so did the instructor, we had a 10 min chat about what i'd done already and we set off towards the plane. Half way there he says "nothing personal but what do you weigh" I reply "16 and a half stone".

OH DEAR 2nd bad news of the day 16 and half stone pupil and 15 and a half stone instructor = 2 fatties that are not flying today.

Apologies were offered and accepted all round. Still at 2.9 hours then!

If I've learned anything from my 1st few hours its;
1: There is lots of planning and preparation in flying and if you are not the sort of person who likes doing this then flying is not for you.

2: Gravity gets you down or in my case not even up. If you are a fatty you need a thin instructor, think about it in advance.

3: Buy some good shades, my regular sunglasses are dark enough but the lenses are just 2 small so when i'm flying I look like a nodding dog looking down to the guages all the time.

4: Be prepared for delays and cancellations for whatever unforseen reason.

That's about it for now, I'm going to go tuck into my slim fast (fly quick) shake. Now I have to consider if I should learn in a bigger aircraft and stand the expense or get a slimmer instructor:) .

good luck people and enjoy flying

Ben

modelman
6th May 2006, 20:23
Hi Mate
Started my PPL late Feb and now 15 hours in with Air law and Met in the bag.I started at 16st 2lb but I was determined to reduce that (less me=more fuel).
In spite of my weight,I do not eat a great deal so exercise is the only way.
Started walking for about 30mins every night (nearly every night anyway) and now now I am at 14st 12lb and feel better for it.(my motorbike appreciates it as well!).

Good luck
Modelman

Pilotdom
6th May 2006, 21:58
Hi BEN I notice that you are from Halifax,is that westYorkshire? If so where are you learning?

bencoulthard
6th May 2006, 22:17
I'm sure my bulk comes from over-eating good food too much too often and all that. Talk about inspiration and motivation boost though.

Halifax W.Yorks yes, tried Sheffield and Barton airfields.

Leezyjet
6th May 2006, 23:28
In spite of my weight,I do not eat a great deal so exercise is the only way

Thats also part of the problem. You need to eat MORE. If you don't each much, your body goes into starvation mode and stores what you eat as it doesn't know how long until it gets its next fuel source.

If you eat more (little and often is the best) then you will actually loose weight.

Eating one meal a day was my main reason for never being able to loose weight. Now I've started eating alot more often, it's slowly beginning to come off.

:)

MyData
7th May 2006, 07:39
Ben

Have you read through the "From Zero to 45" thread on here? Some excellent stuff on there for anyone at any stage of their training. Give yourself a few days to get through it though :D

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=138022

4: Be prepared for delays and cancellations for whatever unforseen reason.

Oh yes indeed. This will become a very real part of your training in your part of the world. I had my first lesson 2 years ago last weekend and finally attained the PPL last November i.e. 18 months later. I can only fly on weekends and was available every single weekend for 18 months but the number of delays and cancellations can be very frustrating - but it is worth it in the end.

I'm just across the road (M62), from you near sunny Holmfirth and did half my training at Leeds and the other half at Sheffield with lots of time out at Sandtoft (first solo) and Gamston (first landing). Never been to Barton though, but I know of a couple of friends who learned there and had a great time.

And as for the weight thing - are you currently on Cessnas? That could be an issue on the smaller machines. I went for a PA-28 from the start as I wanted the extra seats to take friends flying later on. I'm around 95kg (don't know what that is in the old money) and have had a couple of instructors who must weigh the same and this isn't a problem at all with full fuel on a PA-28. You will get to know just how sensitive aircraft are to weight when you do your first solo with no one in the right seat. The climb from take off is incredible! ;-) And as you progress in your training, and after qualifying, you can convert to Cessnas etc. as you please.

bencoulthard
7th May 2006, 08:19
I'm 106 Kg and now I have some motivation, I won't be for long, I'll post the weight loss here too to shame myself into less pork pies.

I think I'll buy this 50% share of a 150 I found so I'll be learning in that.

Whirlybird
7th May 2006, 08:25
Good write-up, Ben. Judging by the length and popularity of mazzy's thread, I think this forum can probably cope with another one.

A couple of things come to mind. You talk about a 50% share being for sale. Perhaps you shouldn't buy anything just yet. There are all sorts of things to take into account - what sort of flying do you want to do, do you want to tour and go fast, do you want something which is good for short fields, do you want to do aerobatics, etc etc? You may find all that changes as you learn more about flying. So why not wait a bit? There are always shares for sale.

On a similar note, you mentioned you'd wanted to fly helicopters for a long time. Now, I know I'm biased :) but if that's what you really want, it won't just go away. I know quite a few people who got a PPL(A), then realised that it wouldn't quite do, what they really, really wanted was still to fly helicopters. Well, nothing wrong with flying both, which is why I still do that, but it's hard on the bank balance, and quite difficult to keep current on both too.

Anyway, your choice, but maybe a few things to think about.

BRL
7th May 2006, 09:54
Hi all. I have decided to allow this one and have just one at a time with this 'diary' kind of thread.

Mazzy's one at the moment is coming to a natural end as the guys there are almost done now. His thread was a huge success and clearly helped many people out who were in the same position at the same time.

For someone coming into it now and starting training I think it would be too much for them to go back and read through it all, hence the admission of this new one.

For those of you who are thinking, (and I know there are) "Not another one", simply don't click on it!! Easy really. :)

Good luck Ben, I hope it all goes well for you and this diary is as good as the last one we had here. :)

Pilotdom
7th May 2006, 10:00
Ben

Have you tried Sherburn? Im learning there at the moment. 4 runways 1 tarmac which reduces number of flying days with wet runways and crosswinds above limits. Also mix of aircraft from C150's PA28 Cadets which Im learning in and also PA28 Warriors which you move onto when doing Nav. There is also a Robin for Aerobatics. There are 700 members,not all students,so there are quite a few aircraft based at the field and usually shares available. I currently pay £110.00 per hour including aircraft Hire,fuel and instructors fee.

Also the clubhouse has just been upgraded.

I know it may be a trek from Halifax,but I recommend you try Sherburn.

If you want a good look round I would be quite happy to meet you for a Beer and show you round.

Also Ben have you thought about asking on here if anyone would like to start a share sindicate? I would be interested if you want to go that way?

Whirlybird
7th May 2006, 20:05
I think I'll buy this 50% share of a 150 I found so I'll be learning in that.

Ben,

I'm not sure that that's a good idea.

I have a share in a C150, so I know about them. With full fuel, enough for three and a half hours flying, we can carry the equivalent of two twelve stone people. OK, individual aircraft vary a little, but that's a good ballpark figure. But that means if you weigh sixteen and half stone, your instructor would need to be seven and a half stone or less! OK, you may say, why not carry less fuel? Well, you can. But most C150 fuel gauges aren't very accurate, and neither is dipping the tanks. So most people tend to fill the tanks; it's easier and safer. Also, the numbers still won't really work out. A gallon of fuel weighs approximately 6lbs. For you to carry yourself and an average size instructor - say, 12 stone - you'd need about ten gallons less than the maximum...if my mental arithmatic is wrong due to fatigue, let me know, but I think that's right. That leaves you with around 10 gallons, or one and a half hours of flying time (assuming half an hour of fuel for emergencies). Now, that'll be OK in the early days, and in the circuit, but what about when you need to go on longer cross countries? And when you've got your PPL, and want to take a friend and fly to another airfield....maybe two hours away? And I haven't allowed for headsets, flight bags, winter jackets, spare oil, tie down kit, etc. And while you can fly slightly overweight without dire consequences - and many schools do - it invalidates your insurance, and is positively dangerous on hot days or short runways.

Here endeth your first lesson on weight and balance. And it also proves my point about not buying anything yet. You may be going to lose weight, but even so, this doesn't seem like a good idea. Don't do it Ben!

bencoulthard
7th May 2006, 22:04
I've spent most of today reading book 1 of the Trevor Thom, about half way through now. Seems straight forward stuff.

Pilotdom
Thanks for the invite, only thing is its just over an hour for me to get there in the trusty old land rover. Whereas Barton is under 30mins as I live near junction 23. And Crossland moor is 20 mins.

Whirlybird
You have a good point and my decision is not made yet, there is a 10 stone instructor at Barton which suits for now (just can't go up in the aerobat).

Girlfriend weighs 9 stone. This losing weight idea is a good plan, I'll get her on a diet right away!!!!!!!

Pilotdom
8th May 2006, 08:56
Hi Ben

No problem,it is a bit far from you,my ivitation will remain to stand though and if you would ever like to visit Sherburn let me know. Good Look with the training and I will watch with interest your progress,I have 9 hours at the moment and am 2 lessons into circuits,net time up its Engine failure after Take-Off (EFATO).

Good Luck and look forward to the diary

bencoulthard
10th May 2006, 13:20
the sky is blue, the sun is shining and one of my guys is off work so i have to work all week

i've booked a lesson for saturday in a p28, two reasons for this, firstly i found one for sale and secondly the weight issue of the 150 has put me off a little

unfortunately they only had 1 hour available but i'd rather have one than none

anyone got any opinions on the pa28 180?

Ben
(fingers crossed for good weather saturday)

Morgo
10th May 2006, 13:28
No chance. Trust me, you spend all week at your desk looking out of the window at the beautifully clear skies but come the weekend it will be raining, windy and seriously low overcast.

:p

Whirlybird
10th May 2006, 13:29
Not good for short fields, and personally I don't like having only one door. Apart from that, a good aircraft to learn on, and good for touring etc. But I still think you should wait till you know more about flying and different sorts of aircraft before buying.

Lister Noble
10th May 2006, 13:30
I've done all my training in a PA28-180 and it suited me down to the ground.
It has good power to weight ratio compared with some of the other trainers.
Good luck ,but I wouldn't even think about buying anything until you have finished your training ,got your licence and flew a few more hours.
But what do I know, I'm just a lowly student,just!
Lister;)

drauk
10th May 2006, 14:26
Don't worry about what you learn in. It makes no PRACTICAL difference (tailwheel aircraft excluded, though even learning in one of those isn't half as big a deal as some people would have you believe). Once you've got your PPL transitioning to something else is very straightforward.

bencoulthard
10th May 2006, 19:07
Friday Sunrise 05:15 (BST)Sunset 20:54 (BST)http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/images/symbols/fiveday_sym/3.gifhttp://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/images/symbols/temp_discs/5day/c/23.gif23°Chttp://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/images/symbols/temp_discs/5day/c/11.gif11°Chttp://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/images/symbols/fiveday_sym/wind/v_S.gif6 good 1017 37

SaturdaySunrise 05:13 (BST)Sunset 20:56 (BST)http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/images/symbols/fiveday_sym/7.gifhttp://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/images/symbols/temp_discs/5day/c/13.gif13°Chttp://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/images/symbols/temp_discs/5day/c/5.gif 5°Chttp://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/images/symbols/fiveday_sym/wind/v_NW.gif6 moderate 1014 78

you are right about the weather, i rebooked for friday morning, bugger work until afternoon

bencoulthard
12th May 2006, 13:38
Today I had my 3rd lesson, 1:10 bringing me up to 4 hours total.

I tried a different school today, the instructor was very professional and I felt I learnt a lot more and got some great advive.

If you are starting to learn to fly I suggest you try at least 2 instructors before you decide which to go with, otherwise you may have the worst instructor in the world and you don't know it as you have noone to guage them against.

It was very hazy today during the lesson and I found it hard to fly VFR properly as I couldn't see the real horizon.

I've decided I'm sticking with this instructor even if it is a little more expensive I think I'll save in the long run.

Ben

littco
12th May 2006, 14:11
I think having the same instructor all the way through training is a must, mainly for consistancy, but you need to find someone you click with. The majority of my training I had with one instructor, she was very down to earth and wasn't affraid of calling you a ****, if you were flying like one! This suited me as I much prefer to be told I'm flying badly than have an instructor be too nice and worry about offending me!

However, I did find it very helpful to fly with other instructors especially later on in my training as they always pointed out things that I hadn't looked at before, this is in no means a bad reflection on my main instructor, but sometimes when someone explains something differently it makes more sense and in the long run makes you better for it.

Go with who you feel comfortable with but don't be affraid to change if you are struggling.

femaleWannabe
12th May 2006, 15:42
Great thread - I've had 4 lessons so far so it's nice to have a thread with people at a similar stage to me :D On the topic of instructors, I've had 3 different ones so far and I can't say continuity has been too much of a problem. It may be a problem further down the line I guess, but it's good to get different teaching styles and perspectives on things.

bencoulthard
14th May 2006, 21:24
Does anyone else think it would be a good idea for me to do a running total on what my PPL as essential kit has cost me so far?

Thought it might help others starting from the begining to get a real life price not just the 45 hours you tend to think of.

Regards

Ben

MyData
15th May 2006, 07:27
Ben

That would be a good idea - but it might put off potential wannabees as they see the cost go up :{

As a rough measure, I estimate my PPL cost around £7500 in the last couple of years so figures should be still valid - bar the increase in fuel costs raising the hourly rate by perhaps £5-£10.

Costs to include: lessons (obviously), books, checklists, kneeboard, chinagraph pencils (ah, the cheap bit), headphones, CRP computer, charts, medical, ground exams, R/T theory test, skills test, land away fees, circuits / touch & go fees, licence application. And in the UK you will be doing very well to get in at 45 hours due to our wonderful weather.

But was it all worth it? 100% YES.

Lister Noble
15th May 2006, 07:50
That tallies with my overall costs,I reckon around £7500 for flying 53 hours plus £500 for the books,equipment,headset and club membership etc.
I think it is important that students know the real cost as you can look at 45 hrs x£145 and arrive at £6500 which is £1500 short of what it actually cost me.
At some places landing fees can add quite a bit!
Lister:)

MyData
15th May 2006, 08:02
At some places landing fees can add quite a bit!

Indeed. Hence the reason I specifically included them. You might also find that your school might charge you, say, £5 for every T&G at a remote airfield. Yet if you ask the right people at said airfield you might find they have a deal of say £10 for unlimited T&G in one hour. I'm not suggesting anyone is pulling a fast one, but it is worth while asking if there are any special rates directly at the remote airfield. Your flying school will probably be charging the standard landing fee and simply multiplying it.

My figure of £7500 was for 53 hours total, which included the 2 hours skill test.

drauk
15th May 2006, 08:05
What I wished I'd had when I did my PPL was someone local to go flying with. Before getting my license it would have been great to get some extra experience, see how a PPL works "in the real world" by flying with an existing private pilot, fly different types etc. If anybody is learning at Elstree and seeks such a person, let me know; am happy to oblige.

RufusRob
15th May 2006, 13:13
Couldn't agree more with drauk.........before taking the plunge and learning to fly, I had the opportunity to fly with a good friend who had access to a T61 Falke MG, a Tiger Moth and a J2 Cub. All very different animals, but I learnt a lot about the basics of flying and therefore it wasn't too difficult to transpose most of what I'd experienced to flying PA28s. I managed to obtail my PPL back in 1996 in 48 hours with a total calendar time of 7 months - Feb to Aug, but boy was I lucky with the weather and the cash flow at the time. 10/10 for you guys who are training under the JAA syllabus as I'm told it's way more arduous and the content is way more involed/ complex? I think it cost me £5k all-in, or thereabouts, back then.

NoTimeToWaste
15th May 2006, 13:18
Ive just started my PPL diary also. Everybody ive spoken too has been really interested and wanted to hear what its like to learn to fly, so im putting it together as a complete "life-story" of learning to fly. Hopefully when its done it will include pictures from flights out etc. too...

7 months must have taken some going, as an 18 year old student im finding cash flow really tight, but working two jobs is definately worthwhile when you're up there learning... I dont doubt its going to be expensive, but the reward of a pilots licence is more than enough for me :D

(http://www.adamboyle.co.uk)

Bahn-Jeaux
15th May 2006, 18:49
I started my PPL on the 29th March and have 15 hours in up to now.
I estimated costs at around £5000 for the flying and allowed approx another £1000 for extras such as landings, medical, books etc.
At this stage of the game, my estimates are looking on the low side although I have been doing circuits so that has upped the costs but once I get back to the hourly rate without additional landings, it may bring it back a little.
Current expenditure is around £2500 but that includes books, medical, additional landings at £6 each and some groundschool and exam fees.
There is of course the unknown factor of how many hours it takes to get to my skills test and I have started to break it gently to she who must be obeyed just in case.
I am at the raised eyebrow stage with her at the minute so I am hoping it doesnt rise too dramatically or else..:{

kookabat
16th May 2006, 05:04
My estimate was about $12K Aussie over three years for my PPL - took me close to 80 hours; I did it slowly.

Have to agree with the above posters re. flying with others. You learn to fly how your instructor flies - you see what really happens 'out in the real world' with other guys - and hopefully you find your own way to operate, striking a happy medium. Great once you have the PPL as well - with pilots both more experienced and of similar levels.

If nothing else, it's a good excuse to go flying!

bencoulthard
16th May 2006, 09:55
Well here it is. 4 hours in and I have spent the following.

£234 1st lesson and club membership
£179.50 lesson 2, pilot's log book and cessna 150 check list
£205.68 lesson 3 at new flight school, fuel tester, checklist for PA28,
1 hour ground school.
£123.70 Club membership at new place
£368.49 flight bag, 5 Pratt books, PPL confuser book, IMC confuser book,
LASORS 2006 book, Pooleys UK flight Guide 2006 loose leaf and
binder, CRP-5 flight computer, AirSpeak Radio telephony CDs,
Knee board, CAA chart, Protractor and Ruler, AFE AVP-1 allin one
plotter, chart markers, Propelling pencils, Oxford nav tutor CD
and finally Never Get Lost book.

£1111.37 Total so far

To be continued

bencoulthard
17th May 2006, 11:32
£50 2nd hand excellent condition headset
£100 Decent sunglasses, my lenses were too small on my old ones

£1261.37 Total so far

To be continued

mazzy1026
17th May 2006, 12:03
Ben

I just found this post today - firstly, may I say Good Luck in your flying. You will certainly enjoy it, and at times you will feel like giving up, but don't. I remember writing my first post in my diary, and I can honestly say I never thought of myself as being a pilot, nor did I think I would ever finish the course, yet here I am some time later with a PPL. I have had a great bunch of people follow my diary (and they still do) and I hope the same thing happens for you - I will certainly be following your progress :)

The first part of the course is general handling, and while it is the most enjoyable part, it is by far the least rewarding. When you start navigation you may start to wonder why you bother, but when you have done your first solo nav, you will only then realise the true meaning of your privilege - and the buzz you get is great :8

Try not to get too wound up with the cancellations (you will) they are something we just have to put up with in this country, it is all about discipline and realising when you can and can't/shouldn't fly.

Keep us all up to date on how you get on - I look forward to reading.

Best wishes,

Lee :ok:

Hampshire Hog
17th May 2006, 14:21
Hi All,

Well, although I've nearly finished my PPL, I found myself migrating here from the 'zero to 45' forum - it's interesting to review the thoughts of those just starting out!

Ben, hope you enjoy the training. As others have said, I wouldn't buy a plane until you've finished the licence - there are all sorts of things that can affect you en-route and I hate to think what the insurance would be for someone learning!

Having said that, I've read your comments about the cessna and PA28. I have flown both (and the AA5), but my preference now is firmly the PA28. Lots of people (including me) don't like the single door, but it is the most forgiving aircraft you can ever hope to fly; stable, hard to stall, practically impossible to spin (which is not permitted anyway) and reasonably quick compared to the 152.

Best of luck with the learning!

HH

mazzy1026
17th May 2006, 15:22
I found myself migrating here from the 'zero to 45' forum
I am being poached hehe (just kidding)...

Enjoy :ok:

modelman
17th May 2006, 16:17
My costs so far:(approx)
18 hours
£2300 for below:
I pay £100/hr inc tuition/C150/fuel/vat/1 landing.
Landing fees are £4.30 inc vat.
I get high quality training with a good 25 mins brief in classroom,10 debrief.

Have most of the stuff I need,Pratt books,CRP-1,confuser,rulers,protractor,charts,headset,checklist.
Have taken 2 exams ( passed)

If I need another 32 hours to complete ( 50hrs) should be on schedule for sub £6000

Modelman

bencoulthard
17th May 2006, 16:52
Jury is still out on whether to buy into a plane or not so soon. It all needs more thought.

Thanks for the approval Mazzy wondered what you might think about me stealing your thunder, but as it was stated earlier, you've "been there n dunnit" so time for a fresh newb.

Does anyone know if your regular GP can do your medical? I went to my docs today and they were like "oh I guess its just like a HGV medical". I told them its a bit more involved "which I was guessing" and they said I should find out myself. Bleedin NHS.

Also what's with the thread rating score? 2.33? Rubbish, Mazzy are you secretly getting all your buddies to vote me down and poach em back?:}

Final note next lesson is booked for Monday, weather looks crap, fingers crossed.

Regards
Ben

MyData
17th May 2006, 17:37
Ben

You need to get your medical done by an approved practioner. There is one located permanently at the place where the DiamondStars fly. Drop me a PM for details, and have your cheque / cash ready (you soon learn that this flying lark is a great way to hand over lots of money to lots of people :hmm: )

Your club / school will also have details of their local specialist, or use the CAA search page

http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?categoryid=49&pagetype=65&applicationid=21

Note that you need to have passed your medical *AND* the Air Law exam before going solo. Book the medical asap as there could be a waiting list.

If you have a prescription for glasses / contact lenses you must also obtain that from your opticians and take it along - the AME (the doc.) will tell you what he/she wants on the opticians report.

At least you get a decent check up and your own CAA reference number.

If you are only looking for PPLing, a Class II medical will suffice. If you want to progress to CPL etc. you will need a Class I, which is more expensive £435 v £160 and you have to go to Gatwick to undertake it.

modelman
17th May 2006, 22:01
Why don't you get the DVLA HGV standard med that is reqd for NPPL?
Will cost you about £15 from your GP (you don't even have to go there!)and will see you through solos etc and defer the renewal time for a JAR med.Forms downloadable from www.nppl.uk.com/ (http://www.nppl.uk.com/)
I have done this as I originally intended going for NPPL but have decided on the 'full fat' licence instead.It also lasts until you are 45 years old then is renewed at more regular intervals.
Modelman

raviolis
17th May 2006, 22:53
Folks

some may want new shiny books to keep as a PPL memory but you can find most Trevor Thom books or any other series on ebay going for as little as a pound. Even if they are the older editions, it doesn;t really matter.

Also, if you are interested in the full story, it's good to have the complete book.
But if you only want to pass the test, the confuser will be more than sufficient.

Stuff like Human Performance, R/T... don't really need the book unless you want to read it all for your own interest.
But as far as the test is concerned, the confuser will do the trick !

regards
w.

Whirlybird
17th May 2006, 22:58
Even if they are the older editions, it doesn;t really matter.

Some subjects have changed drastically - in particular, Air Law. An older edition really won't do; certain things will be wrong. Some of those may be things you need to know in order not to get prosecuted by the CAA, never mind just passing the test. :(

Also, if you are interested in the full story, it's good to have the complete book.
But if you only want to pass the test, the confuser will be more than sufficient.

If you want to be a pilot, you need to be "interested in the full story" for such subjects as nav and met. Just passing the test is not enough.

mazzy1026
18th May 2006, 07:14
Mazzy are you secretly getting all your buddies to vote me down and poach em back?
Plan foiled!

Ben - please don't just rely on the confuser, I have never understood this approach, and if flying is something you like (which it obviously is) then you should find reading the subjects enjoyable (Air Law can be boring, but after you have a few hours under your belt it is easier to relate to the material in practice).

My advice is to start the exams as soon as you can, starting with Air Law and finishing with Nav (this is just my opinion and found that it fitted in well with the syllabus of the course). Make sure you can get the PPL within 18 months of passing your first exam though, otherwise you will have to resit...

Cheers,

Lee :ok:

Lister Noble
18th May 2006, 08:04
Ben,I totally support what Lee says.
Try not to think of the exams as a load of old tosh that needs to be learned and passed parrot fashion,some of the info in all the subjects could save your life.
My method was to read the Thom books cover to cover and then do the Q&A at the end of each section until I knew the subject ,also had a one to one ground school instructor for an hour or so for each subject,at £15 /hour.
I never used the confuser.
Failed a couple first time but can't remember which ones now,I think I got 70% for the fails.
As soon as I had finished and passed one subject I immediately moved on to the next.
The most important thing is your mindset,if you think "why am I learning all this stuff,I just want to be out there flying" it will make it very hard work.

All the time I was doing the exams I was thinking " A lot of this is really useful,some maybe not so useful,but I need to learn all this and get the exams if I want a pilots licence"

I did them all and I was 63 last week,and believe me it is harder to learn stuff as you get older.
Anyway good luck with the studies.

bencoulthard
18th May 2006, 14:04
i have no plan of just bluffing the exams, although i've sold the Trevor Thom books as i didn't like them. Bought the Pratt 5.

raviolis, i'm suprised at your post, i don't think its the attitude to start with.

next you'll be bluffing you're way through the pre flight and meeting a sticky end

Ben

raviolis
18th May 2006, 17:55
If you want to be a pilot, you need to be "interested in the full story" for such subjects as nav and met. Just passing the test is not enough.

agree. And I didn't mention nav and met or any specific examples. I'm just saying that there are ways to save you time and money and let you concentrate on more important stuff. A complete set of brand new books might cost you 200 quid, if you save that you can spend it on 2 extra flight lessons which will make you a better and safer pilot.
Trust me, I am "interested in the full story" more than you might think. One thing is "passing a test" and another is "having knowledge". I used the confuser to pass the test. I read manuals and other sources of information to improve my knowledge.
If you are not on a budget, then go for it. If , like me, you're working 2 jobs to finance your training you simply don't have the time to memorise every single small print in the book.
I doubt that knowing the "Lettering for Nationality and Registration Marks" will make you a better and safer pilot.

raviolis, i'm suprised at your post, i don't think its the attitude to start with.

next you'll be bluffing you're way through the pre flight and meeting a sticky end

disagree. I am able to tell the difference between red tape and important safety matters. But forgive me if one day I'll forget the revalidation dates for a motor glider license... Even then, you can still read them up in a manual if you need to know it. Doubt that will hit me one day in the air in the middle of a crosswind landing "Oh wish I had memorised the contents of the JAR-FCL3 !" :-)

c'mon guys a bit of common sense !

cessna l plate
18th May 2006, 19:48
Good point, and well presented. Differing views here, as we love on pprune. Having recently passed law for the second time (the first expired) I can see where all the combatants here are going. Yes, it is very important to have the full picture. Indeed, more than saving you from a prosecution, it could even save your life knowing things like two aircraft meeting head on, both turn right for instance. But will knowing what colour an AIP admin ammendment is really save your bacon at 5000' with it all going Pete Tongue quickly?

There needs to be an element of common sense here, and not just the posters on this thread, but as far as the regulators who set the exams. For my money, the exam should be in two parts. The stuff that you need to know in the air straight away, differing types of airspace, what to do approaching cloud in relation to your licence priveleges and so-on. The second part should then be "book-in" Knowing what colours the circulars are really isn't important in the air, but could be very important on the ground in the planning phase of a flight. But let's be sensible here, if you want to know that you will ask if you are in the breifing roon wont you?

However, as usual in aviation, everything is done for a reason, and normally a good one at that. If there is a book called law, and exam of the same title, don't learn to just pass the exam, learn the whole subject and learn it well. Remember just one thing about this activity. It is bloody dangerous, it must be my insurance company say so. But seriously, this is the only mode of transport EVER, where you cannot stop if it goes pear shaped. There is no hard shoulder in the sky, if it goes wrong you need to know how to put it right, and quick, and that becomes the foundation of what makes a great pilot, the skill of airmanship, something that is as much an attitude as a skill, and cannot be taught without input from the individual. If you have the attitude of not wanting to know the subject and scrape through the exams, then you will apply that to your flying, and I don't really want to share the skies on that basis thanks all the same.

Yes the exam structure could be better, and yes, elements of it are hard to fathom as to why are they asking about that? But it is there, someone more qualified than I am may be able to answer that, but work within the spirit of the rules and not to the letter of them.

Finally remember a few old sayings... (lots of them in flying isn't there?)
Learn by the mistakes of others, you wont live long enough to make them all yourself.
The old and bold pilots one
And every time you remove something of safety you add danger!

And don't forget this, it is quite literally carved in stone outside the CAA at Gatwick, "Safety is no accident"
Nuff said

Flik Roll
18th May 2006, 19:48
I found i learnt more through chatting with my instructor than the books; Trev Thom is boring as hell.
Managed to pass all the exams without either, and my Thom books look like new and if anyone would like...drop me a PM.

:8

modelman
18th May 2006, 22:09
CLP stated:
It is bloody dangerous, it must be my insurance company say so.

I haven't really considered GA to be dangerous but does anyone have any exp. of loading of Life premiums?
I used to race motorcycles ( including the IOM ) and my life cover broker had a canary when I told them and the insurance company lightened my wallet accordingly but I felt this was probably justified. ( they don't consider my use of a bike on the roads loadable although statistically this is a higher risk than racing)
Of course the insurance company could not recall this loading of my premiium when I retired from competition and I had no paperwork to prove it:{ .
Insurance guys:friends when not wanted/not friends when needed.

Modelman

i.dingbat
19th May 2006, 01:21
Oh good, another PPL diary. I can't really get enough of them. Plus as an expat it's interesting to see the comparison between flying here and back in Blighty. Here I spend about A$203 per hour dual (£81) and I've only ever had one lesson cancelled I think. But I can't fly over castles...

Ben, I had a flight in a 150 last weekend (http://www.iainhosking.com/flying/training/lesson24.php) and we were squashed in like sardines. It was quite difficult to fly with my elbows pressed against my sides. It also needed a fair amount of runway to lug our carcasses into the sky. I'm used to a tandem taildragger (Citabria) which feels comparatively roomy - mind you it looks snug in the back! I had a flight in a PA-28 back in November and it was very spacious, though it felt a bit sedate after the Citabria.

On the subject of weather, I'm coming back to the UK in December for a visit, and I'm wondering what the likelihood is of fitting in a flight or two. I probably won't have my PPL by that time (at my current rate) so I'd need an instructor. Somwhere around Stirling would suit me well - eg Cumbernauld, Fife, Perth...

Anyway, welcome to the air Ben. You'll enjoy every aspect I'm sure (yes, even the exams, if you're prepared). I flew my first solo on 29 April and have another lesson booked tomorrow. I can't wait.

Iain

(P.S. Hi Kookabat - see you at Camden sometime?)

kookabat
19th May 2006, 07:10
G'day Mr Dingbat... :}
Better be a good day weather-wise tomorrow - have two hours booked myself (outta BK though).
I'll be around Camden eventually.... gotta wait for the $$ to come through so I can start on a taildragger. One day!!:ugh:

Bahn-Jeaux
19th May 2006, 09:20
Well, wasnt sure where to put this, Mazzys or here so tossed a coin and here I am.

Been doing circuits for a few hours and at first just couldnt get it.

The first attempts at circuits and landings were in blustery conditions and my instructor aborted the lesson after the first attempt at a landing.
Twice this happened.

At last we got into a full hours lesson and proceeded to do a few touch and goes. This first lesson was more demonstrations with me attempting it while my instructor had his hands and feet firmly on the controls to make sure we got down and away again in one piece.

2nd session came along and I just couldnt get it.
Flare too late, too early and when i got it right, started to balloon (not too bad though) ah well, next time I told myself.

3rd session came and what do you know, I was landing, not too bad and consistent until the final landing, great approach, power off and round out at 10 - 15 feet, flying level and then the dreaded balloon. Arghhh.

4th session came along and it wasnt too bad a day (wednesday just gone) not too hot, or too windy and into the circuits i went once more.
Approach good, flare good and nicely levelled out, slowly dropped towards the runway holding the nose up and touchdown, good start to the day.
Four more of the same followed with some EFTO (engine failure on takeoff) practices and then the final to land.
All good and then taxied back to the apron where my instructor called the tower to announce a crew change, captains name and told them it was to be my first solo.
Turned to me and said "you OK?, off you go then"
GULP, no time to worry, Radioed for taxi,
Cleared to taxy to Bravo and hold.
Taxied to Bravo, power checks completed, called ready for departure.
Cleared to line up and wait 21.
Lined up and then got the call" cleared take of 21, left hand circuit"
This was it, no time to worry, off I went, climbed out quite fast without my instructor at my side, 500' and turned to climb to 1000'.
Levelled out and turned for downwind leg, called downwind to land.
Report final, no 1 to land was the reply.
Completed checks, BUMPFICHH, still no time to take it in that i was alone and then i was turning left base.
Carb heat, power back to 1800 and 1st stage of flap down, keep speed at 80 knots.
This was it.
Turned onto final approach, made the call and then as the runway was ahead of me, it started to hit me that this was really it, I was on my own.
500', 2nd stage of flap and the runway loomed ever larger.
Kept my aiming point in the same point of the screen all the way down, power back, round out and fly it straight and level, slowly dropping and trying to keep the nose off until the last possible minute, remembering everything I had been taught, then a little bump and I was down.

Tower came on the radio with "backtrack 21, exit via alpha to park on the apron and congratulations"

I duly came to a halt as instructed and emerged to greet my instructor.
I was grinning from ear to ear as he shook my hand and congratulated me.
What a feeling.

Its a one off and you have yours to come still Ben.
Enjoy it mate, theres no finer feeling.

Lister Noble
19th May 2006, 09:26
Bahn-Jeaux,
Congratulations,and well done.
Like you ,it was a bit of " I can't believe I'm up here doing this on my own!"
Well done again.

J.A.F.O.
19th May 2006, 09:28
Well done Bahn-Jeaux, you'll never forget it.

Remember there are three rules for making the perfect landing; trouble is no-one knows what they are.

MyData
19th May 2006, 11:21
I was grinning from ear to ear

And you will be for a few days to come. And you will want to tell everyone.

You are now, officially, a pilot.

Congratulations.

bencoulthard
19th May 2006, 16:54
Congratulations BJ

How many hours were you at when you did 1st solo?

Ben

cessna l plate
19th May 2006, 18:05
Model-Man
Yes, most life insurance companies class this as a dangerous sport. The CIS wanted to load my life insurance for my mortgage by about 300%, and most other insurance companies are the same. However, I found a broker on the South Coast that has negotiated with Legal and Genital and has managed to persuade them that the car journey to the airfield is more dangerous (which it is). Therefore, through these guys, I got a good deal. I can't remember the name of them now, but they do advertise in all the pilot mags, give them a ring. And a word of warning for everyone else. Most companies will not bother about the odd trial lesson, but if you are a ppl at whatever stage beware, your life insurance might not be valid in a crash!!

And along with everyone else here, congratulation BJ on your first solo. I'll let you into a little secret, those that say the smile wears off in a couple of weeks are lying. I did mine over 2 years ago, and I still smile about it now. The certificate is hung on my office wall for all to see!!!

Bahn-Jeaux
19th May 2006, 20:12
Ben, had just completed my 15th hour when I went.
Instructor told me I would have gone on the previous lesson but for the last balloon on that session.
Its not as far away as you may think.

Thanks for all the support, I am still grinning and doing it in my mind over and over.
Ahh, bliss.

Graham Borland
22nd May 2006, 12:55
Sorry to hijack your thread, Ben. I also just did my first solo at the weekend.
After many frustrating circuit sessions where I seemed to be unable to judge the hold-off without ballooning, it was a total surprise to me on Saturday when I realised that I had "cured" my balloon. Seven successful circuits with my instructor, with an EFATO thrown in for good measure, and then he made the call to the tower telling them he was getting out and it would be my first solo.
The circuit itself was uneventful and fairly relaxing. I made a point of looking out of the window (as you're supposed to under VFR!) and enjoying it.
After landing, the tower said "G-OM, well done! Vacate at Whisky and taxi to the tower..." (...to collect my instructor who'd been watching from there).
What an amazing feeling.

bencoulthard
22nd May 2006, 17:26
Graham congratulations, you are officially a flying scotsman.

Unlike me today, lesson cancelled due to weather. Better luck for next monday, also got my law exam the same afternoon. Nice way to spend a bank holiday.

On another note I booked an eye test for this friday to prepare for the medical. Has anyone else got borderline vision and how was it dealt with?

Ben (Not fat, just short for my weight) Coulthard

i.dingbat
23rd May 2006, 12:29
Ben

Just to up the average a bit, I'd flown 22 hours before my first solo - it took me a long time to keep a tailwheeler straight on take-off.

Marginal vision? Just wear glasses, or a monocle :hmm: .

I'm also officially a Flying Scotsman, by the way.

Iain

Hampshire Hog
23rd May 2006, 15:11
Ben - my time to solo - about 20 hours. Don't worry about how long it takes to do that. An ex-instructor I know who now captains an A320 told me he always found those who went solo later ended up as better 'all round' pilots. Don't think he was talking about their waistlines!

Eyesight - I have a squint which was inadequately corrected when I was about 4 years old. Also, I am short sighted in one eye and long sighted in the other. My medical examiner had to refer to the CAA, but no problem - they issued my certificate. Renewal is a simpler process, unless your sight has deteriorated below renewal limits. I was told if the CAA were worried they might call you to Gatwick so their expert can take a look at you. They do their best to issue a certificate - wherever it's safe to do so. Failing that, the NPPL demands are less restrictive still - but wait and see what happens before going down that route. You want a CAA medical certificate if possible.

HH

Mad Girl
23rd May 2006, 18:55
Hi Ben

I took up flying this year after getting hooked on Aero's. 14 1/2 hours (3 are Aero's) and in the circuit.

My Instructor is also an examiner.
For your information you don't have to do Air Law before your solo, but you do need to have an aviation medical for PPL but I believe you can get a GP medical for NPPL. Flying schools say that you have to pass Air Law before soloing to encourage students to take it as it's a pig.

I also have to say that it is beneficial for a soloist to know what to do if they come into conflict with other aircraft - my instructer posts in some of these forums and I don't want a clip around the ear!!!

So far I've passed Air Law(79%), Human performance and limitations(100%), Flight performance and planning (90%) and Aircraft technical (90%) in 7 weeks. So they can be done quickly with a little effort. I'm using the Thom books.

Word of warning (courtesy of my instructor) the rules are as follows:-
You have 18 months from the date of passing your first exam to get them all. You then have a further 24 month's to get all your flying done.

I'm planning to do another 2 exams before the summer (RT & NAV) and then sit back for the next 12 months or so before doing Meteorology as I don't want the flying clock ticking too soon.

As for circuits - the actual circuit isn't too bad now, approach is dodgy and as for getting the wheels on the runway - aaagh!!!!

Good Luck with your lessons - keep us informed.

bencoulthard
24th May 2006, 10:43
Running PPL expenses
£28 2 1-500k charts

£1289.37 Total so far

To be continued

cessna l plate
24th May 2006, 16:50
Just a word of advice Ben. Money, those who say it isn't everything (David Cameron) generally have cart loads of it. There is old saying, "how do you make a small fortune in aviation? Start with a large one!"

I don't want to put you off, but on occasion I will have the "how much have you spent so far" discussion with she who must be obeyed. I stopped couting a long time ago. We learn to fly for one of two reasons.

We either A love it to bits, do it for the thrill, excitement and acheivment
or B to become an airline pilot.

If you are doing this for the ppl alone to go and fly with your freinds on nice days, or make business trips that little more quicker and exciting then do it for that. The money is insignificant because you are hooked and will fly whatever. Until you look at what you've spent and then a little bell goes off in the back of your head thinking of other things that a large amount of money can buy. (New kitchen at the last heart to heart me and the missus had!) If you can afford it, don't budget and dont really count it. Yes have a rough idea, but don't add up every penny. You may get to a point, say waiting for QXC, and wait months for a good day. You will want to do some flying in that period, maybe a circuit or 10 to keep your hand in, but you may not budget for that. The average time to ppl is about 60 hours, so don't base it on the 45 minimum anyway. Do it for the love of it!

As for becoming an airline pilot, the bills associated with that are there for all to see in the back pages of pilot, flyer and the others every month. That cost is enough to make Alan Sugar sweat, but ambition can drive you through it if that is what you want to do.

Whatever you do in flying, enjoy it. I find thinking of the money does numb the enjoyment a little.

That's my opinion anyway

Now dons tin helmet, crouches down and waits for the incoming.....

bencoulthard
24th May 2006, 18:40
Thanks for the wise words cp, I'm not too concerned with the costs I have a reasonable salary. :O
I'm doing the running total for people who maybe are stretching the budget a bit.
I know I'd be pissed, if in my excitement of starting to fly, had I added up the costs and came up with 45 X £110 only then to realise this is the tip of the iceberg.

cessna l plate
25th May 2006, 12:43
"Stretching the budget"
That would be me then!!!!!!

SkyHawk-N
25th May 2006, 13:45
Thanks for the wise words cp, I'm not too concerned with the costs I have a reasonable salary. :O

Is that taking into account the amount that someone of your age should be setting aside for your pension? :E

Lister Noble
25th May 2006, 14:12

Ben,always be concerned about costs however large your salary.
I bet Alan Sugar is concerned about costs!
you never know what's round the corner.
Lister:}

bencoulthard
25th May 2006, 21:33
I don't waste money but I wouldn't need to panic if I'd budgeted £6k for ppl and it came to 10.
All of you need to cross your fingers for me, 2 reasons, firstly i'm going to the dentist in the morning and no sir i dont like it, secondly im going for my eye examination for my pilot's medical. I'm hoping to reach class 1 medical standards so i can get that just in case.
You never know what's just around the corner ;-) right Lister?

Lister Noble
26th May 2006, 09:21
That's certainly something to factor in.
I was going for a NPPL then half way through course changed to a JAR/PPL.
Initial examination £140,then needed extra stuff,stress ECG,echocardiagram and 24 Holter test.That was another £648!:ouch:
Eye test was free I think because of my venerable age.;)

Good news - it was all OK

cessna l plate
27th May 2006, 08:44
Just an interesting note here. Very very good advice about pensions and saving for the future.
The idea is right, but the practical is a different issue. My accountant has for the last 5 years advised me against joining in a pension scheme, as the rewards at the end of it, based on current figures, have a more than even chance of not being worth what I paid in!!!!!
The insurance companies went through a period of mis-selling in the late 80's and early 90's. They are still paying off the fines and compensation awards, so if you plough your hard earned into a pension scheme then a lot of it goes in admin fees to pay these. Why the hell should I pay for someone elses screw up???
My accountant's current advice, and it is good, is invest in property. Buy a house, do it up, rent it out (not dss, the rate is too low). Do this over a period of time, buying more along the way, and end up with 10 or so houses, all paying for themselves. Although the price of property does goes up and down, over a long period, say 20 years, it will go up. When you retire, sell the lot at a huge profit and retire to the Costa Del Sol, simple!
Tin Hat on again!!!

bencoulthard
27th May 2006, 21:06
I was just revising with the AFE law book and it says you can have up to 5 hours towards your 45 in "an approved flight simulator"

Anyone used one of these? if so where? Does MFFS2004 count :E
Could be a 2nd class solution for crappy weather days.
Ben

cessna l plate
29th May 2006, 09:08
FS 2004 DOES NOT count. Sorry.
What we are looking at here is what is known as a Flight Navigation Procedures Trainer or FNPT device.

At our end of the aviation spectrum whilst the overall cost can seem , and indeed is expensive, flight simulation costs either the same or sometimes more. Even if there is little difference in price, because the difference is so small, you are better just doing your flying in a real plane.

At the airline end of things, the simulators are a lot cheaper, and can reproduce emergiencies that you really wouldn't want to carry out in $30million of plane, at our end of things a small trainer can be bought for about £20K. Small fry in comparison. Thta's why we really don't use simulators in general aviation

bencoulthard
29th May 2006, 14:48
Today's lesson went well. My first time in and around cloud, we spent half the lesson aiming for the sunny bits, which was fun.
I'm now at 5:15 flying time, I still want to let go of the throttle every time after I adjust it. Also FI covered the AI to keep my eyes outside a bit more.
After my lesson today I did my aviation law exam, 90% and passed I'm pleased to say. When I first did the confuser I got about 67% but after I reviewed my wrong answers I seemed to do better. When I checked the ones I got wrong there was nothing too serious, but still wrong nonetheless

Running PPL expenses
£180.25 today's lesson
£ 10.00 law exam

£1479.62 Total so far

Ben

MyData
29th May 2006, 14:54
Ben

Congratulations on the Air Law pass. One down, more to go.

Agree 100% with Cessna's comments. You will probably find that 'sim' hours for GA training are at least as expensive as regular flying - and these aren't the full motion video machines that you see on TV.

cessna l plate
29th May 2006, 19:18
Congratulations on passing the exam. Air law is seen as the nasty one for some reason, maybe I am weird in actually liking the subject of law, I dunno! It is proably viewed as the worst, as for a lot of people, for me certainly, it was the first proper exam I had taken in the 15 years since I left school, and that may be a part of it.

What you touched on here is method of learning. As a trainee driving instructor I have studied these things to a point!( that is why I am still training) There are some people who can memorise vast chunks of information, and those like me that can't. My method of learning is to see what I actually know first, then read up on the subject, then have a go of a mock exam such as the confuser, and then learn about what I got wrong. This is my method, it works for me, but might not work for everyone, just a thought though!

A good point to also remember is that there are no trick questions in these exams, the idea of them is not to see what you can remember, but to see if you can apply some basic principles and rules to your flying. With that in mind you can actually apply common sense to SOME of the questions to get them right. Just as a for instance, QFE. If you are asked a question about it, then it probably be along the lines of what does it mean, and there will be a couple of red herrings in the possible answers. Ever wondered where it came from? Well the "Q" code came out of the second world war, and maybe the "FE" stands for "Field Elevation". See what I mean. Also worth remembering that we have multiple choice answers. so the correct answer is actually infront of you, so my advice, more than any other is RTFQ! Read The Flipping Question! (You can think it means something else if you want)

JHM
29th May 2006, 20:50
Hi everyone,

I'm brand new to this and looking to start my PPL soon which has been a life long dream. Can anyone give me an answer as to how much it costs to keep a PPL, after completing the training. Also for anyone based around London, can you recommend Cabair based at Elstree or Stapleford flight centre.

Thanks

PS. enjoyed reading some of the entries for a first time visit.

drauk
29th May 2006, 21:56
JHM,

There is nothing wrong with the instruction you'll get from Cabair, nor anything wrong with learning to fly at Elstree. The quality of the instruction, their ground school materials and their facilities, in my experience, is pretty high.

You should know that it certainly isn't the cheapest option though. The planes they use tend to be more modern than most places, plus they charge extra for everything. For example, they charge you landing fees at Elstree when in reality landing at Elstree is free for planes based there. If pushed on it they'll tell you that it's not a landing fee but their handling fee, which frankly I feel is a bit of a scam. Being a larger school means they've plenty of planes in case one is out of service on any given day, ditto lots of instructors. They are unlikely to disappear overnight which might be a concern with a small school. They don't have much of a club atmosphere, so if that is important to you then you should look elsewhere.

If you want to take a free trip from Elstree send me a PM.

Keeping a PPL current - extremely variable, depending on what you want to fly and how much. Basic hiring is going to cost you about 100+VAT an hour. If you only do it once a month you'll find you have to keep getting checked out (i.e. 'mini flight test') by an instructor, so you probably want to aim for every three weeks or so. So, approximately £2,000 for the flying, say £200 for landing fees, £100ish for revalidating your type rating (200 every 2 years), £100 for charts and flight guides and stuff: about £2,500 a year. If you've a few thousand pounds to put down you could join a group and pay perhaps £75 per hour and £50 per month fixed fee. Or fly a microlight or PFA type and pay much less. There will be people who say that flying only 20 hours a year is barely enough to keep you current, but it's down to the individual, both in terms of their own abilities and desires, and what they feel comfortable with.

bencoulthard
30th May 2006, 17:45
Eye site requirements, has anyone else had hitches getting a medical due to this?

I have an astigmatism, my left eye equals the class 2 med requirements my right eyes is outside them. I wear glasses and contacts(not usually at the same time) with them I have great vision and I can read the bottom line on the opticians chart with both eyes. However my correction for astigmatism is where I fail.

I don't really understand these rules as I can't figure out what difference it makes whether my lense is a 3.00 correction or a 69875429378.89 correction, it is still in my eye and I have 20/20 vision with it. :ugh: :ugh: bloody twice.

So anyway, I spoke to CAA eyesite guy who was very helpful but promised me there is a slim to none chance of getting a class 1 medical, I can get a class 2 medical but it will have a restriction on it, as far as I can gather I won't actually go solo, I will have a safety pilot with me.

I'd just like to say at this point its put a real downer on things and i'm pretty pi**ed off.

Ben (taking it out on everyone) Coulthard

And on a final note I paid for a title last night from PPRUNE and i havent got it yet, how long is it normally to sort this out?:*

cessna l plate
30th May 2006, 19:44
Bad news time really. I know what it's like to start and then fall down on something minor. I have a colour sight problem, you know the page with the coloured blobs where you have to read the number in it? Well I don't even attempt those, I've no chance. After the AME told me that I couldn't pass the medical because of it I was in-consolable.

However, there MAY be a silver lining. (Not promising though) A lot of people in aviation take the view that the CAA are the enemy. And although the organisation has more nik-names than enough (The Belgrano, The Campaign Against Aviation and so-on) remember this. They are funded by what they can make, there is no subsidy from Government or elsewhere. They even have to make a profit. They can only do this by getting people in the air, within reason! Furthermore, a lot of the folks there are pilots themselves and know just how adictive this thing is, and what it means when you can't take part. Although you have spoken to the optical guy there, make an appointment to see him. It costs about £30. It did for me, I explained my problem, and he gave me an alternative test that I passed no problem and he then wrote to my AME telling him to carry on. Although he can give some afvice on the phone, there is no substitute for him actually having a look. What have you got to lose? £30 in the scheme of things is sod all!!

Reality check though. There is a limit for a very good reason. Although you may have 20/20 vision with your lenses, without them can you see you hand in front of your face, or more importantly, can you see the instruments clearly enough to be able to fly the plane safely whilst you get a spare pair of glasses out? That is the reason for it. Should a contact lens fall out, or you fly through turbulence that knocks your glasses off your head, can you still safely fly the plane until you sort the problem. All medicals endorsed for corrective lenses also state that a spare pair of spectacles MUST be carried.

At the end of the day though, should you fail at this hurdle, have you ever thought of the NPPL? It will get you a pilots licence, and although the PPL is where it stops, it means that you can fly legally on your own, or with freinds. I am not totally sure of the eyesight requirement, but a lot of the standards are lower than the JAR medical. HGV driver medical is the standard to get, and your own GP signs you off anyway. Lets be fair here, as a ppl do you want to fly in the crap anyway??

I do really sympathise with you, and I knd of know how it feels. Don't lose the faith though, stick with it, the CAA will help all they can if you ask. The NPPL is an option. Failing that, at the club where I fly there a couple of old guys that pitch up now and then, both flew in the war. One is now blind, and the other stone deaf. Their licences lapsed years ago, but they just go and fly with an instructor in tow. And they are probably better than you or I could ever hope to be!! They might be tugging an instructor along, but they still get to fly!!!

bencoulthard
30th May 2006, 20:21
I can get the class 2 med for PPL, the biggy was class 1 for CPL. I'm thinking about this new implanted lens thingy.
http://www.artisanlens.com/eng/Refrchirg/refchg.htm

I'm not sure if they count this as a correction as it can't fall out or off.

I considered lasik surgery a year or so ago but it wouldnt correct the astigmatism, the eye is still not round whether you use a light sabre on it or not, the only thing to correct astigmatism is glasses or a rigid contact lens and these new implanted ones. Lokking at £5k for the pair though which is kinda harsh but if needs must and all that.

Ben (blind) Coulthard

Whirlybird
30th May 2006, 20:48
Ben,

I don't know about implanted lenses, but before you do anything like that check with the CAA. I know they used to be iffy about lasik, although I think that's changed, not sure.

Other than that you have a few options. One is the NPPL, as you've been told. And how about being a microlight instructor, if you want to make your living from flying? You don't need a CPL for that, and I think (not certain) that you can do it all with an NPPL. You could also see if your eyesight is OK for a Class 1 or its equivalent in the USA, where they're a lot more flexible. I've heard of several people who've qualified over there, flown a lot, come back to the UK with a couple of thousand hours and the CAA has given them a Class 1. Do more research, and try a few searches on these topics on here. All is not lost.

And on a final note I paid for a title last night from PPRUNE and i havent got it yet, how long is it normally to sort this out?

I don't know for certain, but since this site is run by volunteers who are often working, it may depend when they get back from Outer Mongolia or wherever they flew to today. :)

cessna l plate
31st May 2006, 18:13
Great advice from whirls. I know that the CAA used to still refer to your uncorrected vision, even when taking laser surgery into account. A lot is changing in the medical field though, especially as the CAA got a new medical head a couple of years ago who is shaking things up a bit. I am led to beleive that the EEG and / or the chest X-ray (Cant remember which) are being phased out unless they are actually required for a particular individual.

As I said earlier, talk to the CAA. They don't bite, and are really quite helpful if you ask. Their interest is having something to administer, and now in the days of EASA, we are about all that's left, but taking away the synical attitude, they are genuine and there to help. And they will!!!! Call them!!

microlight AV8R
31st May 2006, 18:55
Ben, I'm gutted for you. I understand the frustration as a deterioration of my eyes stopped my first attempt at PPL donkeys years ago. I was ecstatic when the NPPL medical declaration came to my attention. I have a bus licence which is current thanks to 'grandfather rights' allowing me to wear my specs. I just did my declaration with my GP and he tested my sight with my glasses on as the NPPL allows your sight to be corrected to the required standard. So, all is not lost. The cost of that fancy implant thingumy could fund an NPPL. Worth considering ?

kevmusic
1st Jun 2006, 11:21
Pardon if I've mis-read or mis-understood something but I have short sight and astigmatism and I wear specs all the time. I got a class 2 PPL medical in 2002. Have things changed?

bencoulthard
1st Jun 2006, 14:27
No if you read my posts, i said i can get class 2 but not class 1 but everyone seems to have misread it.

kevmusic
1st Jun 2006, 14:41
I can get a class 2 medical but it will have a restriction on it, as far as I can gather I won't actually go solo, I will have a safety pilot with me.

I meant I got a class 2 medical without a restriction.

Kev.

bencoulthard
1st Jun 2006, 20:19
Yeah it depends on the level of your astigmatism, apparently i'm in the 1% of the population with it over 3.00. If you have up to 3.00 you are ok. I guess you are under.

Ben

cessna l plate
2nd Jun 2006, 17:14
OK Ben.
Just to clear this up, you can get a class2 but not a class1, right?
To put this into context a little, where do you want to end up in the pilot world? PPL on a Nice Sunday, or ATPL in the left hand seat of a 747?

The airline job has its glamour, I know, I would still die to get there, and the financial rewards seem to be excellent.

Now for the reality check. Do you want to be an airline pilot because.....

The money is good?.. According to Pilots Job Network starting pay,(At a certain Coventry based airline) if you can get the job is £17000. I fancy that if you can afford to fly then you are making a load more than that already, why leave a stable job for something as fickle as working for an airline>

The Girls Will Fancy You?.... Chatting up any woman and you tell her your'e a pilot and they wont believe you.

Not a lot of hours worked.? True, the 900 annual limit equates to about 17 hours a week. Remeber that this is flying time. Time spent briefing or sat on the ground doesn't count towards it. The shifts can be more than horrific and the hours can be long.

It's a good career? Well, no, not really. Airlines come and go, the ones that stay are either fly by night operations or have a waiting list as long as your arm. And unless you have at least 1000hrs, most wont look at you anyway. Remember that a lot of airlines count in "factored hours" SO if you have, say 100 hours in a piston single, in other words hours building in a cessna post ppl, then for example, Easyjet only count each hour as 0.3. That means that your 100 hours is only worth 33.33. Hard work if you need to get to 1000!!

In general aviation there is a difference. Don't like the sight of that black cloud, dont go. Not an option in the airline world. See some wonderful sights, even without leaving the UK. Meet some fantastic people. Become part of a highly exclusive club (less than 1% of the population have a ppl). All good stuff.

All that said, if someone offered to sponsor me tomorrow I would jump at it, but then my job is pretty ropey at the moment anyway. You see I work for a company that supplies a service to airlines, and the cost has been cut so much that there is little money in it anymore.

Let us know what your motivation to fly is, and then we might all be able to give you the right advice from the start.

bencoulthard
4th Jun 2006, 19:27
My reason for wanting a CPL is that I plan to move to Thailand in a few years and I was hoping to get a job over there as a pilot. In Thailand you don't stand any chance of a good job unless you have qualifications. Unfortunately I'm full of experience but no certificates to prove it.

No worries anyway, for now I'll concentrate on my PPL.

I have another lesson tomorrow morning, I've also booked a radio course over 2 days(sounds like a short time to learn a foreign language!)

Running PPL expenses
£168 radio school

£1647.62 Total so far @ 5:15 hours flying

cessna l plate
4th Jun 2006, 19:34
Ah, now, radio, this I know about.

I know they say that English is the international aviation language, and that it sound sod all like it! Like a lot of things in aviation, tradition means that some things don't change, take the Q code for instance.

The radio is nothing at all to worry about, I found it the easiest of all the exams I have done so far.

The best advice is (wait for the lawyers to come out now, quoting the wireless telegraphy act 1949, don't bother, I know it!!) is to get a scanner and tune in. Don't pay particular attention to what is being said, more listen to how its said. Listen to the big boys for this, not your local grass strip where a lot of them aint got a clue. I am often criticised by instructors as my RT is more like a commercial pilot, that is because I work at MAN and deal with it all day long, I am used to it. And that is the best way to learn about it, listen in.

J.A.F.O.
4th Jun 2006, 20:49

I first took control of a light aircraft in 1983, I did my PPL three years later and I don't think I've spent that much to date.

bencoulthard
5th Jun 2006, 21:41
J.A.F.O. you need to share you're money saving tip from McDonald's with the rest of us.

Lesson 5 today, started off bad, I just wasn't with it. I took off fine(my 1st grass take off) climbed and leveled off. All good so far, then he says climb us to 3500ft, at this point I just banged the throttle to full and pulled back on the yoke, no lookout, no checking carb heat and mixture and not even a glance at t's n p's. :ugh: I felt pretty stupid cos I know this stuff:O , so after a bollocking I made sure I was awake for the rest of the lesson.
I think this may have come from only flying once a week, so I decided to have an hour on Thursday morning too. Might as well while the weather's nice.
After the initial screw up the whole lesson went well, medium turns, lots to watch for on climbing and descending turns but I think I cracked it.:D Still letting go of the throttle every time I adjust it though. Might get a big rubber band that allows me to reach for the trim wheel then springs my right hand straight back in to place.:)

I'd like 2 seats to Aero Expo if anyone is flying down from up North please give me a shout. Else there will be a spare seat in my landy for any of you car less out there(unless I buy this sweet S-type Jag I've seen, then there'll be 2 or 3 seats depending how close you like to sit)

Ben (2 hands on the wheel and not the throttle) Coulthard

J.A.F.O.
5th Jun 2006, 22:45
Ben

At no point did I indicate that I wouldn't have liked to have spent more.

I was quite lucky, Auntie Betty paid for the first thirty odd hours and in those days you only needed 38 for your ticket. She also used to pay for my holidays but since she started paying tax I seem to have had to stump up for my own leisure pursuits, ah well.

I've never been much good at making money and I'm even worse at holding on to it so it's not a case of knowing how to save, more a case of having none to spend.

raviolis
6th Jun 2006, 20:51
Hello

a special day for my PPL training.

The Day of the Beast (06/06/06) didn't start well... had a little car crash on my way to work in the rush traffic. Nothing serious, but now I've got a dent in my bonnet and a sore neck !
Went to work late... went to the flying club after work.
40 minutes dual circuits and then we land. Instructor says "now I'm gonna get off and you do another couple of them !"
So I went for it. Everything ok, nice gentle westernly wind, first approach fine, first landing not too bad but a bit bumpy. Touch 'n go and away again.. second approach not bad, landing absolute greaser :-)

So here I am, not a virgin anymore. It does happen eventually. I struggled quite hard with landings so I guess the revenge is even sweeter :-)

Oh by the way, for the record, it all happened after 14 hours.
Happy flying to all !

bencoulthard
7th Jun 2006, 00:16
stop it, just stop it, teasing me with your solo nonsense:}

just make me jealous cos i'm still all over the place on approach, too busy checking my rate of descent to remember to line up with the strip:O

i can see it in the paper "the pa28 landed near the airfield, following a perfect descent"

Ben "close, but not close enough" Coulthard

Human Factor
7th Jun 2006, 06:29
Only read part of the thread but I spotted this:

I have a colour sight problem, you know the page with the coloured blobs where you have to read the number in it? Well I don't even attempt those, I've no chance. After the AME told me that I couldn't pass the medical because of it I was in-consolable.

Not sure how bad your colour deficiency is, but the "lantern test" could be an option. ie. Can you spot the difference between a faintish white, red and green light at a distance. I always had a bit of trouble with the Ishihara plates but I've held a Class One medical for 11 years.

As for laser surgery, the CAA take quite a dim view of it (if you'll pardon the pun) so I'd be extremely careful and seek official advice before you proceed.

Pilotdom
7th Jun 2006, 11:11
Ben check your PM's.

Ta

cessna l plate
7th Jun 2006, 19:24
Human Factor. Don't take this the wrong way, but if you'd read a little further, you'd have read that a trip to the CAA sorted it out. It cost me £28 for a lantern test. £10 per colour near enough, not bad work if you can get it!!!

Flik Roll
8th Jun 2006, 13:40
Running PPL expenses
£168 radio school

How on earth can 5:15 be over a grand's worth of money? Your club must be pricey!
What is the hourly rate?

Lister Noble
8th Jun 2006, 14:22
Flik,I think maybe he has added all costs to date,books headset etc
My school would charge £746.75 inc vat for 5.15 hrs in a good PA28-180 with instruction and unlimited take-offs and landings.

bencoulthard
9th Jun 2006, 13:01
I had 2 lessons this week, Monday and Thursday, Thursday's lesson was the first time I flew and felt like I knew what I was doing. It happened to be stalls and wing drops, which in the PA28 were non stomach churning. Such a polite aircraft hard to see how you could get into a stall by accident.

So I walked away from that lesson quite pleased with myself and feeling a little more like a trainee pilot than a tourist on a pleasure flight.

PPL running total so far

£189.98 Monday's lesson
£148.37 Thursday's lesson
£1985.97 Total so far @ 7:45

For those who are reading this from half way through, PPL running total is lessons, medical, bag, headset, club membership, charts, books, exams and anything else except the car fuel to and from the aerodrome.

Ben (feeling more like a pilot) Coulthard

MyData
9th Jun 2006, 13:32
Such a polite aircraft hard to see how you could get into a stall by accident.

Ben. Be wary of the stall - i.e. don't think that it won't happen in a PA28. Doing them at 4000ft straight and level is very different to 'feeling' one coming on at base or final and then knowing what to do when relatively close to the ground and perhaps turning.

Ask your instructor about the back of the drag curve and how to avoid it on final approach - I learned about it by doing, not reading :eek: :eek:

Shunter
9th Jun 2006, 14:18
Is your radio course with Malcolm Dobson? There really isn't much that chap doesn't know about aviation and the course is worth every penny. A rock solid foothold on the R/T was the single biggest contributing factor to getting my license application posted off with 45 hours precisely in my logbook, no more no less. I even had to go back up solo for 45 minutes after the skills test to get my hours up to 45. If you cope with the R/T without giving it a second thought you have so much more time and concentration for the flying itself and it makes the whole thing so much more enjoyable. Good luck!

bencoulthard
9th Jun 2006, 20:21
I don't know the name of the guy, it's the one they run at Barton over 2 sundays.

Ben(bravo echo november) Coulthard

cessna l plate
10th Jun 2006, 10:59
Now I think it's fair to say that stalling is my least favourite subject. I hate it with a passion and will avoid it like the plague. But beware Ben, it may seem nice and polite, but flying is like a failthful old dog. Kick it up the a**e hard enough and it will turn round and bite you on the jacobs!!! Like was said before, nice and easy at 4000 feet, try it at 100 feet on final, or rather DONT!

Also be aware that it is about angle of attack (of the wings) not just about speed. If you increase the aoa then the speed drops off, bit like a car going uphill with no engine. Did you know that aoa also features in steep turns? As the aoa increases as well as the g force, your stalling speed also increases, and eventually catches up with you!

What I am saying is treat it with the same amount of respect as you might a WW2 spitfire pilot, or maybe even more than that.

How's the RT going? Did you know that once you pass the test you can actually apply for your RT licence. I was very surprised as I did my RT and then had to stop flying, so the exam pass would expire before my skills test. I sent off the paperwork, and to my pleasure found an item that the CAA don't charge for!! I immediately got my FRTOL for no better reason than I could get something off the CAA for nothing!!

Flik Roll
13th Jun 2006, 10:16
Ask to see a Dutch Roll (on finals if your instructor will allow it). That will teach you to teach stalling with respect. And also airspeed :8

bencoulthard
18th Jun 2006, 22:05
Yes Shunter, it is with Malcolm, did day 1 today.

All went well, he certainly knows his stuff and departs his knowledge well. Nice guy and makes it quite fun.

Mostly theory today but we got onto some practical, next week we got all practical then tests. I'll be reading CAP413 this week while gf is away.

Before this course I found, I planned what I needed to say to AT, said it, then when his response came I drew a blank every time. I think now I have cracked that but only actual aplication will decide that.

I've had to put the lessons on hold for a few weeks as I'm busy as hell with work, hope it doesn't put me back too much, shame cos the weather is ideal right now.

Ben

Mark 3:16
19th Jun 2006, 19:26
Was on the course yesterday as well with Malcolm. Long day made very enjoyable by an excellent tutor.

Like Ben, its CAP413 for me this week. 198 pages printed at work today! :eek:

I found it a lot harder reading back in the classroom than I have in the circuits so far. In the circuits I think my mind is far more receptive and 'in routine' than in the classroom where I froze a few times. Definitely feel more confident though, and that is testiment to Malcolm who makes it clear that there is nothing wrong with saying you don't understand an instruction.

Cheers
Mark

cessna l plate
21st Jun 2006, 07:10
The RT is not that hard really, it's just about learning a different language based loosely on English!! Remeber at the end of the day it's there as a safety item. Let's be fair here, if your engine fails in flight, who in their right mind is going to give all the information in the right order on a mayday call. Personally I think "OOOOHHHHH SSHH**TT, going down near XXX" will do just as well. Also remember to not drop the aeroplane while flying the radio. Here's another of those old sayings "Aviate, Navigate, Communicate".

As for me, well, I've changed clubs and gone to Sheffield. Good school, professional attitude, I think I've made the right decision. Went last Sunday, over to Gamston for some circuits. My old club would not have sent me solo, but the guy on the day did. 40 minutes solo in the circuit, the first time I have gone solo since my first one 2 1/2 years ago. OK I've kept the rust off as best I can, but I was truly shocked when he told me to go and have half an hour on my own.

I can now see the light at the end of the tunnell. I have a fixed budget, and should realilistically get my ppl for the amount I have to spend, I might even have a little left over, you never know.

Booked in again this Sunday, navigation this week. Should be interesting as me and the whizz wheel cannot be called the best of freinds, but I'm sure I'll get there!

bencoulthard
1st Jul 2006, 21:17
Today I completed my RT course.
I spent the last 2 Sundays in a classroom with Malcolm Dobson and this Saturday I went back for the practical test.
I PASSED!!!!!!!
3 small errors and he asked why I kept clicking on and off the button, reason was my palms were sweaty and the damned push to talk button was slipping through my grasp :ugh:

If anyone isn't so confident with the RT I highly recommend this course, he runs it at Leeds and Barton and maybe elsewhere I'm not sure. He made the learning fun and the days flew by. He explained why things are as they are so you see the logic in it.

So 1 step closer.
Will book my medical on Monday and see where that leads.

Ben

cessna l plate
2nd Jul 2006, 19:02
Good luck with the medical Ben. I know from a previous reply here that you might have a problem, so don't forget that the CAA really DOES want you to fly!!

How's the flying going, not much mention of it of late!

Congrats on the radio. Now you have passed, don't forget it all, it may sometimes be all that saves you from yourself and the outside world. What I mean is, sometimes it is quicker to transit a zone than go round it. Before the ATC will let you in they need to be sure that you aren't going to ass about once you are in the middle of the zone. All they have to give them a clue as to your ability is the radio. If it's quick, clear and concise you probably will get the zone clearance. If it's full of lots of "err" and all in the wrong order, I bet a fiver you get told to "remain clear of controlled airspace". So keep your skill level up.

As for me, circuits at Sandtoft today. For those at Barton like you Ben, this might seem a trivial matter, the short field landing. All my training has been on nearly 2000m of nice tarmac. To suddenly find myself with only just over 700m of it gave way to a little trouser coughing!! First one ended in a go-around from sod all feet, and then trying to climb with full flap hanging out! Nailed it the second time though!!

Keep up the good work Ben!!

cessna l plate
9th Jul 2006, 18:50
This thread seems to have slipped away lately. I do hope that you got the medical OK Ben, let us all know, as not much mention of you flying in the last couple of weeks. Keep us posted will you?

davidatter708
9th Jul 2006, 20:11
Just thought I'd put in some prices
so far its been £5287
for:-
-45hours of flying
-4 thom books
-CRP1
-protractor
-ruler
-map
-pens
-log book
-flight log
-all ground school
-class 2 medical + ECG
I've gone for pay in advance as it works out about £600 cheaper
David
ps waiting for the insultes to flood in
edited plus all ground school exams and skills test. I may also remember what I have paid for so I may add some more :P

bencoulthard
10th Jul 2006, 21:22
cessna l plate
No my interest is still 100%, just been busy with work.
New online store being set up
It's taken up a lot of my time, when things calm down a little i'll book some more lessons but at the moment i'm reading a lot so i'm never at a standstill, I like to think a week never goes by where i'm not a little closer.
I got law and RT, what would y'all recommend next? Met?
Ben

MyData
10th Jul 2006, 21:50
Ben

I take it you have RT theory already as well as the practical?

Go for human performance, should be an easy one to get out of the way.

Then any of the others and leave Nav until last or at least until you've started to do some for real.

bencoulthard
15th Jul 2006, 20:46
Yeah I did theory and practical.

I realised yesterday that I missed Aeroexpo, I was making plans to drive down next weekend when I saw the flyer and it said June.
Next thing I said was ?@$%&£@?£%$£&@?*king hell I missed it.

So did any of you go? How was it?

Ben (month late) Coulthard

Chequeredflag
17th Jul 2006, 09:09
I kept a pretty comprehensive record of the costs to achieve my ppl, so it might come as a help (shock?) to some of you to see the details!
I started on 5th January 2005 at the ripe old age of 61. I was fairly knowledgable about aviation having several friends who are airline pilots, and having some good times with them on the flight deck, (prior of course, to 9/11) I had also spent a LOT of time on the MS flight sim 2004, self teaching myself to fly 737's down the ILS glideslope in 1 mile viz, usually succesfully.
With this background, I was fairly sure I would be pretty close to the 45 hours min. for the JAR PPL that I was embarking on, but I was somewhat wide of the mark!! I guess the things I could have done easily at 30 years old were a lot harder at double that age!!
I eventually took my skills test on 29th March, having amassed no less than 72 hours, though in fairness, I hit the very bad patch of weather Nov to Feb, which meant I had 22 attempts (honestly!) at my QXC canned. Therefore, I guess I could have done it in around 65/66 hours, but as you never stop learning, I gained more experience with every hour.
So, to the cost breakdown:
Lessons/Solos/QXC/Skills test (72 hours) £8151.00 (all in PA28-161 Warrior)
Flying School membership 2005/06 £140.00
Exam costs £115.00
CAA Examiner costs, GST £150.00
Medicals (annual, over 50 years old) £40.00
Equipment/books etc £530.00
Landaway fees £95.00
Total cost: £9421.00
Since then, I've paid around £900 for a Garmin 296 (absolutely fabulous bit of kit) as back up, for I still commit everything to paper chart as well......OK, if I'm honest, I do tend to use the Garmin as primary, 'cos it has so many safety features, such as airspace incursion and terrain warnings, and have been using similar equipment on my boat for many years with no failure at any time (yet!), though as I say, I still have everything on paper as well.
So, the cost was around 30% more than I anticipated, though my original budget was wildly optimistic. The hardest part for me was the exams, having never studied for anything in my life before!!
Hope you found that of interest, and I'm sure many of you more capable than me will do it for less.
Cheers
CF

east_sider
18th Jul 2006, 13:19
Hi Ben and all on here,

My first post! Really enjoying this thread and I've read most of from zero to fourty five as well - cheers Lee!

I'm hoping to start my PPL soon, got a trial lesson in a couple of weeks that I got for my Birthday, taking that with Cabair in Denham. I'm also planning on a lesson at Stapleford though, as that's better located for me, and I'm hopefully heeding some advice on here to try a few places and instructors before committing.

Ben - sorry to hear about your Astigmatism problems, I've got some Red/Green colour probs, not sure on the extent yet as I've only done the Ishihara (sp?) dot tests on line.... I'm going for a full colour assesment at City Uni in a few weeks to get latern tests etc done - see whether a Class 1 is ever possible for me.......

Anyway keep up the good work with the diary Ben and all, hopefully I'll not be too far behind you!

cheers
Ian

Smiffie
20th Jul 2006, 10:54
Hi Ben et al,

Just discovered this site recently and have enjoyed reading your PPL diary, not the first I have read but the first fixed wing one. I recently completed my PPL(H) and wish I had kept a diary, not only as a entertaining read for yourself and others but also, I think you will enjoy looking back on it and knowing exactly when it was you managed to master a particular skill.

As far as costs go - well lets just say that I daren't add up all the invoices, far to scary to know what I actually spent but ball park for everything would be around 15K for my PPL(H), if you manage it in the minimum 45 hours the cost is about 12.5K.

Anyway good luck with your contnued training, I look forward to you next installment.

east_sider
15th Aug 2006, 22:13
Anyone still here? I'm starting my PPL at Stapleford this weekend, I'm keen to get in contact with a few others just starting out, to share experiences/problems/frustrations/advice/celebrations as I go through the training! Online or maybe even over a beer in time if that works out.

Interested in any replies here or PM's.

cheers all.

Mad Girl
16th Aug 2006, 07:40
cessna l plate
No my interest is still 100%, just been busy with work.
New online store being set up
It's taken up a lot of my time, when things calm down a little i'll book some more lessons but at the moment i'm reading a lot so i'm never at a standstill, I like to think a week never goes by where i'm not a little closer.
I got law and RT, what would y'all recommend next? Met?
Ben

I don't know how often you fly but a word of advice which was passed on to me by my instructor/examiner.....

You get 18 months from the date of first passed exam to pass all the exams. When they're all done, you get 24 months to complete your flying.

Leave one exam outstanding - I'd suggest Human performance & Limitations as it's so easy - then if you are hit by a crisis in your non-flying life which may prevent you getting "up there" you haven't started the flying clock ticking.

As for what to do next... How about Aircraft technical?
It may be a biggie but I did mine early as I wanted to know what I was doing in the walk arounds. If I'm going to fly it, it made sense to understand what I'm looking for when checking it especially as I'm not in the slightest bit mechanically minded.

So far I've got Air Law, HPL, Aircraft tecnical, & Flight performance and planning. I'm in the circuit so I'm working on RT at the moment and planning to do Nav after. Met will be left until about Aug next year (may be earlier if my once a week lessons are progressing nicely).

Happy studying
MG

Kaptain Kremen
16th Aug 2006, 09:55
Nav is next in the flying syllabus after circuits, why not take that next so you are ready after you've done the circuits? Why not simply ask your instructor?
good luck with it all - enjoy!

Mad Girl
16th Aug 2006, 10:13
Nav is next in the flying syllabus after circuits, why not take that next so you are ready after you've done the circuits? Why not simply ask your instructor?
good luck with it all - enjoy!

HI KK

I don't know if Ben is in the circuit yet - No doubt he'll tell when he is!!!

My instructor TOLD me to do RT, RT, RT & RT before Nav. In fact he wanted me to do Air Law, RT and then what I wanted.
He says they're both tough but if I hadn't got one of them out of the way before we went out and about it would be doubly tough.

He made his point. :rolleyes: ... I'm on my second ground school session on Friday, third one is next week. I reckon I could pass the theory paper now but the practical work starts Friday.

MG

Kaptain Kremen
16th Aug 2006, 16:12
Hi MG!
Whatever, it's good to get the exams done fairly soon, if you are moving on ok with the flying , so that you don't end up ready for test but unable to take it because the exams are still incomplete. A balance between the clock ticking from your last exam to your skills test. If the flying is progressing quickly, then so should the exams.
Air Law - mmmmm, nice! :hmm:
kk

bencoulthard
28th Aug 2006, 22:15
Red Bull is this weekend, I have 1 spare seat in my car, PM me if you want it.

Soon I'll be getting back on with my flying. Just as the weather turns crap :ugh:. These things are sent to test us!!

damienmasterson
2nd Nov 2006, 13:17
Hi All,

It's great to see people writing about their passion for Aviation. I currently have 25 hous towards my PPL and have kept a diary.

Happy flying captains!

DM