PDA

View Full Version : 1st PAX

Cricket23
6th May 2006, 15:31
Well it's been a busy few days.

Licence arrived on Wednesday.

Went for a flight on Thursday with my now ex-instructor in the Slingsby that I have posted on here before and have decided to make the leap and buy a share!

Today, took up my Dad as my first pax. We were both pretty chuffed. He's 85yrs old, and at times over the past couple of years that it's taken me to get my licence it's been a bit of a toss up as to whether I'd get it before he popped off! So, understandably, it's a special time. He was grinning from ear-to-ear, and it reminded me as to what flying is all about.:ok:

How about yourselves - special passengers?

Regards,

C23

jabberwok
6th May 2006, 15:46
My daughter - then aged six.

Took off, levelled out at 1500ft and turned towards the dramatic coastal scenery. I looked round expecting to see a wondrous gaze in her eyes - and she was reading a book!

Kids. ;)

Aussie Andy
6th May 2006, 16:07
While visiting Sydney in 2003, took my Dad for a flight around Sydney Harbour with one my brothers in the back. I think he really enjoyed the flight, let him take the yoke and fly the plane, and I think he was proud of me. Anyway, I felt proud to take him flying - that's for sure.

We had to leave to come back to the UK 2 days later, and Dad sadly died of a heart attack at Mascot airport, having come out to say goodbye. If there is anyone special you want to take flying, just remember there's no time like the present, and you never know what's around the corner.

Cricket mate, I'm glad you got to take your Dad flying :)

Andy

TheKentishFledgling
6th May 2006, 16:24
Excellent news, Cricket. Nice one :ok:

tKF

markflyer6580
6th May 2006, 17:00
Been taking pax for about 7 mths now but on thursday I took my 4 year old daughter up for the first time,I took the wife incase of sick etc but she was so excited before we went I knew it would be special.

She was a bit concerned in the climbout,but as soon as we saw the humber brige and she knew where she was it was ear to ear grin,I can't explain how much that meant to me:O

Most of my other pax have been just as good too!:ok:

Leezyjet
6th May 2006, 18:04
I've taken my other half and another pilot friend up so far.

Had a C172 booked for an afternoon from Multishyte at LBA last summer to take the folks and my nephew and brother in law up, but due to Multishytes incompetance, didn't have enough time to complete the check flight - even though I was the only one who had the a/c booked that day. Only needed to do 2 circuits but instructor said not enough time for him to finish it, but another instructor would take me up - went back into the office and non of the other instructors would take me up for 20 mins - instead preferring to take up the £59 trial flight never going to fly again people rather then getting me checked out to spend £500+ with them that day. I wasn't a happy bunny I can tell you. :mad: And like a fool I handed over my credit card to pay for the waste of time flight I had just done. In hindsight I should have refused to pay as they hadn't given me the service I had asked for.

As yet I have not taken the folks up as I need to find a C172 that I can hire in Yorkshire that is not red/white/blue and based at LBA !!!.

:ok:

FlyingForFun
6th May 2006, 18:41
Congrats - great feeling, isn't it?

Taking family and friends flying for the first time is always special. But one of the many highlights of being an instructor is that I've got to take many people for their first flight in a light aircraft (or, frequently, for their first flight in any aircraft) when they've come to me for trial lessons.

Last year, I flew twice with a lady with Alzheimers. And early this year, I flew with a very disabled lady. Those three flights stand out as the most memorable for me, not only because of the obvious pleasure which it gave these people, but also because their families were beaming just as much to see their loved ones so happy.

I feel extremely privileged to be able to meet people like this, and to be able to make their day in such a dramatic way. :ok:

FFF
--------------

Cricket23
6th May 2006, 20:02
Thanks Kentish, good to met you the other week.

Aussie Andy, As you say, do it today, before it's too late - sorry about your dad, but at least you took him up. I've had loads of calls since I got back from relatives who my dad has 'phoned telling them how happy he was and proud of me. So, it's been very touching.

FFF - indeed, I think you title says it all 'why do it if it's not fun'

MyData
7th May 2006, 07:55
First PAX was my brother (I think he was the only one in the family brave enough to volunteer!).

Second was the best though. My 9 yr old god son. On checking out the DA-40 with all its snazzy GPS etc. he was amazed by the hi-tech of it all. But there was a problem so we couldn't fly. Fortunately there was also an old training PA28 available. I didn't know if he'd want to go up in the old-tech machine with its worn seats. His response:

"I haven't come all this way for nothing, I'm going flying today!"

His excitement was palable while doing the A check, getting him involved in testing the stall warner etc., all this while other aircraft are taxying around and helicopters buzzing in an out.

A short flight from Sheffield to the Humber Bridge and he was in awe - even more amazing considering it was a dull, overcast day with low cloud. The bridge is always a good landmark as it is very visible and very obvious rather than trying to point out a house from a few thousand feet.

Back on terra firma, shut down checks complete. Out of the aircraft and a closing line of:

"This has been the best day of my life, ever!"

Another pilot in the making me thinks.

7gcbc
7th May 2006, 08:30
First one , and old school friend who had a panic attack and literally tried to climb out on downwind (not kidding) constantly tried to unlock the door and really increased my workload (TT 60 hours or so) in a pa28 cherokee, once we landed I made a story up about him going BACK to check the tail area and see if its all ok , in his state he would have walked straight into the prop, I continued with a few more circuits, as to be honest, things could not have got any worse.

2nd Pax, Dad, in a 152 aerobat, hung a loop, dad (with arms folded, calm as a clock) says , "you're going to hang this" , ended up on our back, maps, dust, and lots of other stuff, on the windscreen, straight enough recovery, dad flew the descent onto join and followed me through on a few circuits later.

Agree totally with Aussie Andy, take em flying before they go, my father died last 19th April and I have him to thank for inspiration at every stage of my flying , my only regret is that I could not have taken him spinning in the pitts.

Aussie Andy
7th May 2006, 08:35
"This has been the best day of my life, ever!"Thanks for that, has reminded me of another memorable flight -- my mate Kev has a son Alex who was 5yrs old at the time (almost 6!) and I took him and his Dad on a short flight...

We had the young boy in the front of the aircraft, sitting on cushions, and his Dad in the back. The weather was mucky, and so we only flew a short distance, about 10NM, to see our houses, the school etc from the air and let Alex have a turn "flying the plane" (well, sort of! :) ) then landed back at Wycombe.

I was worried they would be disappointed by the cruddy weather and short flight, but not a bit of it! I had arranged to take them up the TWR after the flight, and this was a big hit as well... while standing there and surveying the scene from the TWR, young Alex said in a big voice "Andy, this is the best day of my life!"

Made my day :)

I simply don't enjoy flying as much on my own as with passengers -- it seems such a waste to not be able to share and show others the wonderful and priveleged perspective of the world we enjoy!

Andy :ok:

Leezyjet
7th May 2006, 20:41
I simply don't enjoy flying as much on my own as with passengers -- it seems such a waste to not be able to share and show others the wonderful and priveleged perspective of the world we enjoy!

Me neither. I'll take anyone up with me so I don't have to go on my own. It's so boring without anyone to share it with.

:)

Saab Dastard
7th May 2006, 23:46
About 3 years ago I took my father up for his first flight in a light aircraft - we went via Biggin Hill, up to the Thames at Gravesend, then all around the Kent and Sussex coasts down to the IOW, showed him the Needles, then back up to Fairoaks.

Lovely flight. He really enjoyed it, and he was so proud of ME, that I could do all the aviate/navigate/communicate stuff and still point out the sights and have a chat!

Brought my brother on a similar trip - just as well I had provided sick-bags!!!

First time I brought my eldest son up (he was 6 or 7), we did a few circuits just to check that he was OK (not the greatest traveller). Then set off for a local flight. Next thing, at about 3,000 feet: "I need a wee..." :hmm:

And yes, of course I had urged him to go before we left - too much excitement!

SD