http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4979950.stm

Good luck to all out there

FormerFlake
6th May 2006, 10:52
More details:

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30100-1220886,00.html

Tombstone
6th May 2006, 11:09
Just seen the news on BBC 24, not good. Troops are in the area, lets hope they find the crew alive.

angels
6th May 2006, 11:10
Sadly, Reuters reporting 'four charred bodies'.

Their source is local firefighters. Hopefully they're wrong.

angels
6th May 2006, 11:16
Missile apparently.

colmac747
6th May 2006, 11:19
This after 10 US troops were killed yesterday in a Chinook.

woptb
6th May 2006, 11:24
Terrible day:(

Spacer
6th May 2006, 11:31
My thoughts to the crews and families :(

chappie
6th May 2006, 11:34
mygod, it's happeneing again. the helicopter was brought down by missile and crashed into the city of basra. iraqui firefighters have stated there are four bodies seen. the toops are trying their best to get there, but i fear too late. there is dancing and cheering and stone throwing in the streets. i say get their AK 42's or whatever they are and shove them where the sun won't shine for a long time. i want to say more but would be inciting violence.

my condolences to all of you who must be feeling every horrendous second ofd this. i can barely type as my hands are shaking too much. i put on sky news to be confronted with the nrews. this is exactly what happened to me when my brother was on the herc on jan 05. it was'nt an assisting officer it was sky news that i found out from. this response from the iraqui people is what happened then, it keeps happening all i can say is why?? let's get you all home. there will be a family who at the moment don't know anything as we type and soon will be going through the hell that is my life. i can't get those poor brave souls who must have been terrified. we talk about our technology superiority well b:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: to that.

i'm so very very sorry. god help them all and those who are now in the thick of it as we speak trying to get them back. may god be with you.

LookingDownFromAbove
6th May 2006, 11:50
Of course all of our thoughts are with the families and the troops still out there doing a job that doesn't get much support in the media.

Edited for sensitivity, wasn't the best time.

sirsaltyhelmet
6th May 2006, 11:54
Lookindownfromabove

Come on buddy, wrong time for that..

Jordan D
6th May 2006, 11:57
Edited to remove reference to LookingDownFromAbove's post above

My thoughts and prayers are with all concerned at this time.

Jordan

Just This Once...
6th May 2006, 12:03
My thoughts are with all those involved with this terrible loss.

As ever, I admire the courage of the Army guys called upon to protect the crash and each other. Our thoughts are with these guys too.

LookingDownFromAbove
6th May 2006, 12:17
Fair point SaltyHelmut, rereading it, it could have come across as more callous that it was intended.
I'll think about reposting later, but not just yet.

c130jbloke
6th May 2006, 12:34
May the face of God smile upon our helo mates this day, for those who point MANPADS at us will feel our wrath............

C130JB

fantaman
6th May 2006, 12:43
Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunwrd I’ve climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
of sun-split clouds, —and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of—wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov’ring there,
I’ve chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air....

Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue
I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
Where never lark nor ever eagle flew—
And, while with silent lifting mind I’ve trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

God Bless

shawtarce
6th May 2006, 12:44
My heart goes out to all family, friends and workmates who are waiting for more news. It’s a terrible time for all.

Can I just add a huge thank you for all the guys on the ground at the crash site? If I had a loaded gun and people were throwing rocks at me while laughing because some of our guys had been killed..... I admire your self control and professionalism. Thank you for making us proud.

flipster
6th May 2006, 13:06
I am so sadened.

God bless, Godspeed, RIP and my hearts go out to the families.

Flip

truckiebloke
6th May 2006, 13:33
Thoughts are with the families.

mutleyfour
6th May 2006, 13:43
Condolences and thoughts with families and friends of all involved and my best wishes to all those men and women so desperately trying to reach and protect the scene.

With regard to the crowds: Horrified, its human nature gone mad.

On_The_Top_Bunk
6th May 2006, 13:46
Condolences to all.

Why can't we just get out and leave this to the Americans?

Ginger Beer
6th May 2006, 13:48
Another terribly sad day

My thoughts are with the families and loved ones of the crew

RIP

Ginge

nice castle
6th May 2006, 13:53
A tragedy to face up to, deeply saddening for all.

My thoughts go out to the families and friends.

May I also echo the comments about the restraint of the cordon party. A highly professional reaction from those lads, under extremely demanding circumstances.

To all insurgents: run now, as each one of us re-doubles our efforts to find you.

Jerry Can
6th May 2006, 14:04
Our thoughts are with the friends and families of those concerned.

I'd like to echo the thoughts and praise for our troops on the ground doing a very difficult job in such circumstances with remarkable restraint.

Mr and Mrs Can.

Tigs2
6th May 2006, 14:08
Thoughts and Prayers with all the families. A very sad day.

lukeylad
6th May 2006, 14:17
my thoughts go out to the family.

MightyGem
6th May 2006, 14:21
Bugger! :(

lukeylad
6th May 2006, 14:26
seems like iraqi civilliens are giving our troops a hard time trying to secure the area, ive just seen video of warriors getting peltted by petrol bombs.

RileyDove
6th May 2006, 14:41
Condolences to all the families involved - as for leaving the American's to it - it's very much the case that we very much started all this sad affair with the Americans - not the time to leave them standing alone.
By all means withdraw - but everyone.

I.P Stop
6th May 2006, 15:01
To all the families and anyone involved my sincere condolences. RIP my helo friends.

Compressorstall
6th May 2006, 15:04
Right now, politics are immaterial. What matters is that tonight there are certain families across the UK that will be mourning the loss of partners and children. The wait for information is excrutiating when people are so far from home and serving daily in harm's way.

devonianflyer
6th May 2006, 15:08
Thoughts, respect and condolenses to all affected with this tragic incident. RIP
Right now my thoughts go to not only the families of those who have perished, but those stuck in Basra providing the cordon and dealing with the Iraqi's. Stay strong, together, get the job done and then get the hell out of there soonest!
Lets hope that they have not perished in vain, but that their sacrifice goes some way to sorting this awful situation and bringing all our troops safely home as soon as possible.
Per adua ad astra
DF

mutleyfour
6th May 2006, 15:25
Just seen some footage of a rotor blade, don't wish to give too much away on here but needless to say it belongs to an obvious type. That along with the announcement from the MOD will mean a sad time for my peers.

Again I would like to wish my sincerest condolences to those affected.

Wyler
6th May 2006, 15:42
BBC News 24 this afternoon is far more concerned with the Iraqui casualties, especially the children. Wanted to know if the soldiers were using bullets or baton rounds, how many soldiers, had they opened fire? Then came the usual garbage from the 'experts', Andy McNab et al.
Hardly a mention of the crash or the British fatalities.:mad: :mad: :mad:

A very sad day and my deepest sympathies to the families.

Well done the Army for professionalism and restraint.

D-IFF_ident
6th May 2006, 16:09
My thoughts are with the friends and family. Tragic.

Talk Wrench
6th May 2006, 16:10
My family and I would like to express our sorrow to the families involved.

I haven't seen details yet but once again it seems that we have lost some more good 'uns.

Best wishes to all.

Talk Wrench.

WASALOADIE
6th May 2006, 16:24
RIP fellow aviators, my thoughts are with your families at this sad time.

Best wishes to all serving out there, safe return

WE Branch Fanatic
6th May 2006, 16:29
RIP guys. My condolences to the loved ones.

markerboy
6th May 2006, 16:35
My thoughts go out the friends and family of those guys. May all our prayers be with you in your hour of need.

It's high time either the gloves came off, or the bags got backed. How much longer do we have to stand by and watch our comrades lose their lives, so the rags came have some fun. How dare they stand and celebrate at the sad loss of life. May I also echo the support for the guysguarding the site. Don't know if I'd have been able to show the same restraint.

:mad:

Mmmmnice
6th May 2006, 16:48
A tragic day -
....but the behaviour of the locals is not that surprising given that A: they're possibly aligned with the shooters and B: they don't want us there in the first place and can do without wreckage falling in the kitchen sink. I know this doesn't help those who have lost family/colleagues, but maybe it will further help galvanise the 'firm' into making a decision as to where this is all going? Anyone else think we should leave the Iraqis to it?

P.S the commendable restraint shown by the troops on the ground is one of the many things that distinguish us from from some our less sensitive allies - and long may it remain so.

colmac747
6th May 2006, 16:51
Anyone else think we should leave the Iraqis to it?

Absolutely. Time to clear out of there.
Can't the UNHCR (or equivalent) be called upon?

Post Mod 516
6th May 2006, 16:52
Another sad day. Thoughts as ever with the families.

fuel2noise
6th May 2006, 16:56
Guess it was a Lynx then?

Tigs2
6th May 2006, 17:01
Might just be a thought chaps, but maybe the politics are best left out just for the moment. There are grieving families to consider, and i know in past cases, family members in similar circumstances have used this forum to seek some form of comfort by reading the words we have written in memory of their loved ones. Thoughts to the families, words cannot express your loss, and to the brave men on the ground who are showing great restraint whilst in harms way.
Perhaps no time for guesses until we know NOK have been informed.

Rats Naks
6th May 2006, 17:22
God bless you all and rest in peace, a sad time for all.

Rats.

timby
6th May 2006, 17:32
Thoughts and prayers go out to all involved; their families and friends.

Keep up the good work out there, everyone - let's not let these b*stards win!

propulike
6th May 2006, 18:05
I feel a pit in the depth of my stomach, made worse by the scenes of jubilant locals celebrating the loss of our friends. The only consolation was the outstanding professionalism of our troops trying to secure the area whilst being taunted and attacked. Thanks guys - it's good to know you're there.

An appalling event in an awful place. My heartfelt condolences go to all those affected.

C130 Techie
6th May 2006, 18:07
Another very sad day.

Condolences to the families and friends of those lost. Our thoughts are with you.

RIP

VerticalThrust
6th May 2006, 18:12
Words cannot express the thoughts and feelings of sympathy for those who now morn the loss of loved ones. Be proud of what they believed in and what they stood for. Their loss cannot be put into words. We shall not forget......

For those who stood firm on the ground, from every aviator, thank you.

fantaman
6th May 2006, 18:14
It's extremely difficult to express how you feel after such a sad day. No words will be able to describe the sense of loss four families will be feeling tonight, sadly parents have lost their children, partners have lost their loved ones and children have lost their fathers.

I have spent most of the day in front of the various news channels watching the news as it broke, holding out some hope that there may have been survivors. Sadly as time wore on, it became clear we had lost four brave heroes and brothers. It is with a lump in my throat that I write this post and whilst I never knew the men, I'm sure you'll agree, it feels like you've lost a friend.

When we go out to places like Iraq and Afghanistan, we are all too aware of the dangers that we face, but in true British style we grit our teeth and get on with it. It's this stiff upper lip that sets us apart from everyone else. As we move into the 38th month in Iraq, I'm sure we'll all look back and think of the 108 servicemen that have given their lives in what appears to be an endless and uphill struggle.

Like so many have already said, I have nothing but total admiration for the troops on the ground. I'm afraid I don’t think I could have shown the same composure as they did during the mission.

I hope one day when this is all over the families of this tragic event can look back on the comments posted on here. We have lost many things from our three services. They may be able to take some things from us but one thing they will never take away is that great sense, that we are all one big family who pull together when times get tough.

Come on Tony, enough is enough, let's bring the guys and gals back home where they belong.

RIP and God Bless

Fantaman

nutcracker43
6th May 2006, 18:16
Today, someone has lost a father, a son, a brother, a husband and friends. To them all, from mrs NC and myself, our deepest sympathies. Our thoughts are with you at this tragic time. RIP

NC43

maccer82
6th May 2006, 18:26
Well said fantaman. A drink or two will be raised to these brave men tonight. Lets hope our boys on the ground have no more trouble bringing them home. My sympathies to the families, collegues and friends of all lost today.

Flying West

I hope there's a place, way up in the sky,
Where aircrew can go, when they have to die.
A place where a guy could buy a cold beer
For a friend and a comrade whose memory is dear.
A place where no doctor or lawyer could tread,
Nor a management -type would e'er be caught dead!
Just a quaint little place, kind of dark, full of smoke,
Where they like to sing loud, and love a good joke!
The kind of a place where a lady could go,
And feel safe and secure by the men she would know.

There MUST be a place where old aircrew go, when
Their wings become weary, when their airspeed gets low;
Where the whiskey is old, and the women are young,
And songs about flying and dying are sung.
Where you'd see all the fellows who'd "flown west" before,
And they'd call out your name, as you came thru the door,
Who would buy you a drink, if the thirst should be bad,
And relate to the others, "He was quite a good lad!"
And then thru the mist you'd spot an old guy
You had not seen for years, though he'd taught YOU to fly,
He'd nod his old head, and grin ear to ear,
And say, "Welcome, my son, I'm pleased you are here!
For this is the place where true flyers come,
When the battles are over, and the wars have been won;
We've come here at last, to be safe and afar,
From the government clerk, and the management czar,
Politicians and lawyers, the Feds and the noise,
Where all Hours are Happy, and these good ol' boys,
Can relax with a 'cool one', and a well deserved rest.."
"This is Heaven, my son: You've passed your last check!"

Flight is freedom in it's purest form,
to dance with the clouds which follow a storm;
to roll and glide, to wheel and spin;
To feel the joy that swells within;
To leave the earth with its troubles and fly,
And know the warmth of a clear spring sky;
Then back to earth at the end of the day,
released from the tensions which melted away.
Should my end come while I am in flight,
Whether brightest day or darkest night;
Spare me your pity and shrug off the pain,
Secure in the knowledge that I'd do it again;
For each of us is created to die,
And within me I know,
I was born to fly.

WIWOWessex
6th May 2006, 18:36
Mrs W and I send our sincere condolences to all the bereaved.

Banana Boy
6th May 2006, 18:37
I know that I am not alone in having spent more of my life than I would have wanted to flying over that miserable part of the world. However, to give your life trying to make the place better is too much.

I hate to agree with Dubya, but the sooner we can find an alternative to the black goo the better. Then we can leave them to live in their little bedouin tents and do whatever they like to do in them. How dare they celebrate the death of our brave aircrew and soldiers.

RIP. My deepest respect to all Brits and allies involved.

fantaman
6th May 2006, 18:42
maccer82, a cracking little piece.

Should my end come while I am in flight,
Whether brightest day or darkest night;
Spare me your pity and shrug off the pain,
Secure in the knowledge that I'd do it again;
For each of us is created to die,
And within me I know,
I was born to fly.

Afitting tribute to our fallen brothers, I'm sure they will take this with them.

SRENNAPS
6th May 2006, 18:45
Yet another sad day. Our thoughts are with all families and friends.
How many more??

JAFG
6th May 2006, 18:52
My deepest condolences to the friends and familly of those involved, a sad loss to the rotary community.

mutleyfour
6th May 2006, 18:57
Very nice words Maccer. Perfect.

Almost_done
6th May 2006, 19:03
Maccer, perfect words.

We can only add our heartfelt thoughts to all involved

Mr & Mrs A_d

Max Contingency
6th May 2006, 19:18
To the families and friends of four very brave men: The thoughts of every military aviator are with you tonight and will remain with you in the long days ahead.

The Swinging Monkey
6th May 2006, 19:37
Another dreadfully sad day. No words can express my total sadness for these four brave guys.
May God bless you all and may his grace be with your family and friends left behind. You will not be forgotten, and you have not died in vain.
God Bless
Mr & Mrs Swiniging Monkey

Brian Dixon
6th May 2006, 19:45
Another very, very sad day.

The Dixon family offer our thoughts and prayers to those who lost their life in the line of duty, and our heartfelt thanks and respect to those who stood fast in the most extreme of situations.

A candle has been lit in remembrance of those who were lost today.
http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/enter.cfm?l=eng

RIP

Brian

Navaleye
6th May 2006, 19:50
My sincere condolances to the crew, their family and friends. A tragedy for everyone. God bless.

dinoorin
6th May 2006, 19:54
My thoughts are with the fine chaps and chapesses in the god foresaken dump.
With thought and compassion, Mr and Mrs D

k1rb5
6th May 2006, 20:00
It's not the people we do our duty for that bind us together, it's the people we do it with.
There are some good lads waiting up there, in the big bar in the sky, with a cold beer for you guys who left us today. We'll all be in some day. Get us one in.
Gone but never forgotten.
RIP lads
K1rb5

FJJP
6th May 2006, 20:15
RIP, my fellow flyers. God rest you and see you in heaven one day...

FJJP

rudekid
6th May 2006, 20:21
Dark day.

RIP. Condolences to families and colleagues.

Stay tight.

MReyn24050
6th May 2006, 20:39
To the families and friends of four very brave men.

I send my sincerest condolences. My prayers are with you in this most difficult time.

rotarynav2639
6th May 2006, 20:50
To the families and friends of those who were so tragically lost today.
My sincerest condolences. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
Mr and Mrs RN2639

NURSE
6th May 2006, 20:54
Rest In peace guys

Line_book
6th May 2006, 20:57
My most heartfelt condolences to the families and friends of those who perished today. Though I do not not yet know the names of those involved, I am sure in the fulness of time when they are published, I will find they are former colleauges, as I know many of the guys there now, and do not look forward to hearing exactly who it is.

To the families - I know it is of little consolation to those who need it, but those there were doing a fine job, in a world that many will never know exists, with very little thanks or reward. These men have paid the ultimate price, and made the ultimate sacrifice, for which they were ready and prepared to do. That is what bravery really is. It is the man who asks for no reward, who for whatever reason can take the risk to do the job, playing his role in a bigger plan, putting another cause before his own, prepared to suffer for another and knowing the danger and potential outcome. Rest assured they will have lived more in their short lives than some could ever do in 10. They will not be forgotten, and their memories will live on with their families, friends and units long after the rest of us have gone to pasture.

Rest in Peace - we will see you all again.

LB

Tombstone
6th May 2006, 21:00
RIP aviators, may your wings take you to a better place.

oldfella
6th May 2006, 21:03
RIP guys.

Tonight my thoughts are for your families and friends.

Roadster280
6th May 2006, 21:25
My deepest condolences to the families, the Army Air Corps, and the British Military at large.

Good to see the guys pulling together, colour of uniform irrelevant.

My teeth are clenched, jowls vibrating and spine tingling. I might be out, I might live elsewhere, but by God I am proud of you all. God speed to Her Majesty's Armed Forces, wherever you serve.

Talking Radalt
6th May 2006, 21:34
Sincerest condolences to all involved. :(

Edit: and a heartfelt well done for the restraint shown by those facing the aftermath on the ground. (Just seen the BBC footage)

TR

Talk Wrench
6th May 2006, 21:42
Be you Green, Dark blue or Light blue.

Whilst we have lost our brothers, we have not lost our brethren.

A man of the the air will always be an airman.

"They are not dead but sleeping"

May airmen around the world will share the same sentiment.

Per Ardua Ad Astra.

Again, Talk Wrench and Mrs Talk Wrench send our heartfelt condolences to those who died and for those who have to pick up the pieces.

We will do all we can to help.

God Speed to those men.

Talk Wrench.

KPax
6th May 2006, 21:48
RIP, I will have a large malt in your memory. God Bless.

old-timer
6th May 2006, 21:55
Deepest respects to them all & thoughts with the families & loved ones.
I salute them all,

May their honour & service be forever remembered.

A good few drams are on order in their honour.

Also with deepest Respects to all the Honourable chaps & chappesses' out there doing a tough job.

ahav8tor
6th May 2006, 22:23
My condolences and thoughts are with families and friends of all involved.
4 more absent friends :( to be in our thoughts when we next raise our glasses.

Pilot Pacifier
6th May 2006, 23:42
What can I say that hasn't been said already?

R.I.P. guys.

My thoughts go out to your families and friends...

Pilot Pacifier

CHIMPBOY
7th May 2006, 01:01
Thoughts are with the families now as thats all that matters.

FILCI
7th May 2006, 02:25
Jungle drums are evil, can be misleading and can set up a chain of events that hurt a lot of people. However, I KNOW I lost a very good friend today and it is still sinking in. Words can not convey the mixture of feelings you go through at times like these, but I know my friend was doing the job he loved. My wife and I will be accompanying his widow at his final farewell.
I have not watched the news, but the gist of the threads makes me glad I did not and I have no intention of watching as I feel it will make a measured response to what has happened very difficult - what I really mean is that I will find the reaction of the 'locals' difficult to cope with! Again, the British Forces show themsleves as second to none.
I also know there will be more hurt in the coming days when the I learn the names of the other victims.
As a former member of 'The Malt Circle', I raised a glass - Dalwhinie I believe!

Artas
7th May 2006, 02:37
Sympathies to the families of all killed in this incident including the soldiers, airmen and families of the innocent Iraqi children who were killed following the crash.

50+Ray
7th May 2006, 05:09
Condolences to families and friends of those lost in Basra. I assume I will have known a couple of the victims, and I grieve this waste.
Having watched some of the scenes on BBC World I could not have achieved the restraint shown by the men who had to attend the aftermath - congratulations to them.
Let's get out of that awful sandpit soon!

HeadSouth
7th May 2006, 06:06
Thoughts go out to our falen colleagues and their families

Never to be forgotten RIP

Headsouth

MightyGem
7th May 2006, 07:10
Just heard on the BBC that the Army have confirmed it as a Lynx.

mutleyfour
7th May 2006, 08:13
Here is the latest from the BBC..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4981466.stm

As well as Sky.

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-1220901,00.html

wokawoka
7th May 2006, 09:51
All has been said. RIP.

wlynx
7th May 2006, 10:24
Nothing more to say that hasn't already been said.

RIP, and sincerest condolences to family, friends and all who are affected by the tragic loss of those brave souls.

Talk Reaction
7th May 2006, 10:50
The effect of British forces in so many desperate places around the world, far exceeds the simple sum of people and equipment. Which makes the impact of the tragic loss of good people all the harder to bear.

My thoughts to the families and those still flying, driving and walking around Basra this morning.

Squirrel 41
7th May 2006, 10:53
RIP boys. Thoughts with the families.

S41

Nil nos tremefacit
7th May 2006, 11:23
RIP. Condolences to the families.

aluminium persuader
7th May 2006, 12:16
Godspeed lads.

Geehovah
7th May 2006, 13:27
Words are not enough

RIP

yme
7th May 2006, 13:38
:( My deepest sympathies go to the families of all involved.
God speed boys!
Yme

Cpl_Bilko
7th May 2006, 14:15
Thoughts and deepest sympathies to all the familly, friends and JHF(I).

RIP

ExALM
7th May 2006, 14:25
My thoughts go to all.

RIP Fellas.

junglie jock
7th May 2006, 14:45
Deepest sympathies to all involved with this.

Well done to the soldiers on the ground. Great professionalism shown by guys who have only been in theatre a few weeks.

Epsilon minus
7th May 2006, 17:08
"For there is a corner of a foreign field that is forever England"

Like all of you I saw the news pictures and I am deeply saddened.
I am also deeply angered since it is my earnest conviction that we should not be there in the first place.

Keep up the good work out there, everyone - let's not let these b*stards win!
Sir, the bastards have already won. Not since the Emms telegram that triggered the Franco Prussian war has a nation been so duped into going to war as has ours.

To the five fallen British soldiers; I salute you and my prayers are with you and your families.
EM

ppf
7th May 2006, 17:16
RIP

ppf

fantaman
7th May 2006, 18:48
Having not been to church for a while I decided to go today in light of yesterdays events. After mass when leaving I was "cornered" by the priest who noticed I was new to the church and so I explained the reasons as to why I had gone.

After I explained he said he would dedicate his next mass on Tuesday morning to the four crew on board the Lynx. He did ask of their names but unfortunately they have not been released, fingers crossed we will know by Tuesday so that they will be properly honoured at the service.

He also suggested that he might read out the poem High Flight by Plt Off Gillespie Magee and so I have forwarded this so him. A fitting tribute to four of the finest.

Training Risky
7th May 2006, 18:50
RIP chaps.

PS: Can I just take a moment to warn anyone against reading the tat in the Sunday Express. The first I knew of this incident was seeing the headline in the newsagents today: 'Our Airmen left to die in helicopter crash'.On reading inside I was told that an RAF helicopter had been shot down.

Good job I wasn't the shocked wife/girlfriend of an RAF SH crewmember reading that then!

Journos - sort it out, you waste of DNA!

Team Avi8tor
7th May 2006, 18:55
RIP Boys, I hope you find a better world than this one currently is. God Bless.

SunderlandMatt
7th May 2006, 19:01
My thoughts go to those strong men, and their families, who had their life ripped from them this weekend.

Honour is yours forever.

Jackonicko
7th May 2006, 19:21
Training Risky,
On a thread like this, where everyone's thoughts are with the poor so and sos who perished on Saturday, it would surely be better not to stoop to slinging mud at journos?

Especially when you sling it indiscriminately at friend and foe alike.

This was bound to be reported (not by me, nor by any of the specialist, defence-friendly journos who post on PPRuNe, and who are the most likely to read your ill-mannered remarks).

Believe it or not, there are many journos here who are just as shocked, shaken, moved and saddened when aircrew (from any of our services) are lost as you may be, and some of them may sometimes count the deceased as personal friends.

wg13_dummy
7th May 2006, 19:30
Take it elsewhere please chaps.

Thoughts with family and friends.

Winco
7th May 2006, 19:51
Jacko,
this neither the time or the place. Please go away and allow us to grieve in peace and humility.

RIP guys, you will be in all our prayers.
God bless
The Winco

TacTrucker
7th May 2006, 19:55
They came in the evening, then, and found Jonathan gliding peaceful
and alone through his beloved sky. The two gulls that appeared at his
wings were pure as starlight, and the glow from them was gentle and
friendly in the high night air. But most lovely of all was the skill with
which they flew, their wingtips moving a precise and constant inch from
his own. Without a word, Jonathan put them to his test, a test that no
gull had ever passed. He twisted his wings, slowed to a single mile per
hour above stall. The two radiant birds slowed with him, smoothly, locked
in position. They knew about slow flying.
He folded his wings, rolled and dropped in a dive to a hundred ninety
miles per hour. They dropped with him, streaking down in flawless
formation.
At last he turned that speed straight up into a long vertical
slow-roll. They rolled with him, smiling.
He recovered to level flight and was quiet for a time before he
spoke. "Very well," he said, "who are you?"
"We're from your Flock, Jonathan. We are your brothers." The words
were strong and calm. "We've come to take you higher, to take you home."
"Home I have none. Flock I have none. I am Outcast. And we fly now at
the peak of the Great Mountain Wind. Beyond a few hundred feet, I can lift
this old body no higher."
"But you can Jonathan. For you have learned. One school is finished,
and the time has come for another to begin."
As it had shined across him all his life, so understanding lighted
that moment for Jonathan Seagull. They were right. He could fly higher,
and it was time to go home.
He gave one last look across the sky, across that magnificent silver
land where he had learned so much.
"I'm ready " he said at last.
And Jonathan Livingston Seagull rose with the two starbright gulls to
disappear into a perfect dark sky.

From Jonathan Livingstone Seagull
by Richard Bach

Radar Command T/O
7th May 2006, 19:56
Rest in peace, fellas.

In my thoughts and prayers.

L J R
7th May 2006, 20:04
Rest In Peace fellas, may your professional work be recognised.

unkind43
7th May 2006, 21:03
Flyer's Prayer
By Patrick J. Phillips

When this life I'm in is done,
And at the gates I stand,
My hope is that I answer all
His questions on command.

I doubt He'll ask me of my fame,
Or all the things I knew,
Instead, He'll ask of rainbows sent
On rainy days I flew.

The hours logged, the status reached,
The ratings will not matter.
He'll ask me if I saw the rays
And how He made them scatter.

Or what about the droplets clear,
I spread across your screen?
And did you see the twinkling eyes.
of student pilots keen?

The way your heart jumped in your chest,
That special solo day-
Did you take the time to thank the one
Who fell along the way?

Remember how the runway lights
Looked one night long ago
When you were lost and found your way,
And how-you still don't know?

How fast, how far, how much, how high?
He'll ask me not these things
But did I take the time to watch
The moonbeams wash my wings?

And did you see the patchwork fields
And mountains I did mould;
The mirrored lakes and velvet hills,
Of these did I behold?

The wind he flung along my wings,
On final almost stalled.
And did I know it was His name,
That I so fearfully called?

And when the goals are reached at last,
When all the flying's done,
I'll answer Him with no regret-
Indeed, I had some fun.

So when these things are asked of me,
And I can reach no higher,
My prayer this day - His hand extends
To welcome home a Flyer.

Rest in peace brothers.

Amateur Aviator
7th May 2006, 21:04
RIP all.
Everything has already been said, so I will not use more space than needed.
However, for those of you who can, raise a glass and have a quiet moment for everyone involved.
We will remember.
AA

Airborne Mutley
7th May 2006, 21:13
Just as a great many have already said, condolences to the families, friends and colleagues of those that died yesterday.

Tragic events like this touch a great many people, especially those that would have seen these personnel that morning. To all those currently serving their country, both in the operational theatres, and back home ensuring that our personnel are as well supported as we would like to be ourselves, take care and look after yourselves.

May the families feel the love and support of all those around them, and be proud of their lost ones who died believing in what they do, and conducting themselves in the most proffesional manner imaginable.

A M

Seymour Belvoir
7th May 2006, 21:26
God Bless, Chaps. Rest In Peace.

ethereal entity
7th May 2006, 21:27
Gentlemen

As a long time aviator of the rotary world, I wish you all that you would have wished for yourselves. You alone know the sacrifice and belief that you took with you, and you alone shall be rewarded for it.

I am humbled in your presecence and in awe of your sacrifice.

"Rise up and fly
my beloved children
see the light
it is your goal"

RIP

jwcook
7th May 2006, 22:40
Rest in Peace

Jackonicko
7th May 2006, 23:15
The TV news just confirmed 5 dead, not 4.

I would be overjoyed if the journos earned their reputation for inaccuracy and exaggeration in this case.

Without knowing who was involved, my thoughts are with all the Lynx aircrew I've met. They always seem to be a uniquely 'sound' bunch.

rats404
7th May 2006, 23:36
We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go
Always a little further: it may be
Beyond the last blue mountain barred with snow,
Across that angry or that glimmering sea,
White on a throne or guarded in a cave
There lives a prophet who can understand
Why men were born: but surely we are brave,
Who take the Golden Road to Samarkand.

God bless you and your families, from a simple pilgrim who has shared the journey with you in the past...you will not be forgotten or unavenged.

diginagain
8th May 2006, 00:23
There is little that I can add to the many moving sentiments already posted. My thoughts are with the families, and the colleagues who remain.

See you on the other side, guys. Rest easy.

Junglie
8th May 2006, 07:20
A tear was shed and a drink was raised to lost friends and colleagues. Our thoughts go out to the family and friends at this awful time.
Mr and Mrs Junglie

Data-Lynx
8th May 2006, 07:36
Their names will be published by MoD at 0900Z this morning.

For Training Risky. Make no assumptions until the names are released.

speeddial
8th May 2006, 07:43
England is proud of you.

RIP

flying bizzie
8th May 2006, 08:53
God bless you all. RIP.

FB

junglyking
8th May 2006, 09:18
Farewell. RIP, we are all proud of you.

rafloo
8th May 2006, 09:32
RIP mate.... A fine Officer and a true gentleman. Sadly missed.

PPRuNe Pop
8th May 2006, 10:14
Ladies and Gentlemen. This is neither the time nor the place to make out of place comments of ANY kind. Please refrain from doing so.

I am personally very angry that we have lost some of our finest once again. I despair, but my thoughts, and those of my colleagues in PPRuNe are with them and we offer our condolences to their families.

RIP fellas, you will not be forgotten.

PPP

Army Mover
8th May 2006, 10:38
I've just heard the names. My thoughts are with the families.

RIP

WE Branch Fanatic
8th May 2006, 10:40
The MOD has released the names. See here. (http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/MilitaryOperations/FivePersonnelInBasraHelicopterCrashNamed.htm)

Wing Commander John Coxen RAF
Lieutenant Commander Darren Chapman RN
Flight Lieutenant Sarah Mulvihill RAF
Lieutenant David Dobson AAC
Marine Paul Collins

God Bless.

KPax
8th May 2006, 10:40
Just seen the names. Devastated. My thoughts again to families and colleagues.

snafu
8th May 2006, 10:42
Dazzer and your colleagues - words cannot adequately express our sadness at the news of your loss. Our heartfelt sympathies go out to your families, friends (a group that I am proud to be part of), colleagues at JHF(I), 847, 28 Sqn, Benson and CHF.

Rest in Peace all of you - you are in a far better place than those of us left behind. We will raise a glass or four in your honour tonight.

Mr and Mrs Snafu

Mylord-Smythe
8th May 2006, 10:54
My thoughts are with the families and colleagues. God rest their souls, we are all proud of you.

May you rest in peace.

Spotting Bad Guys
8th May 2006, 11:02
God has no greater grace than to give those who fly, the wings of angels.

My thoughts and condolences to the families and friends of those lost.

SBG

cockneyrock
8th May 2006, 11:03
Heard the names on the 'Grape Vine' this morning.
A terrible day and a terrible loss.
My thoughts are with all the families, especially Lee, a former collegue of my wife. Our thoughts are with you on the sad loss of Sarah-Jayne.
RiP

helidriver
8th May 2006, 11:06
Rest In Peace Dobbo.
N & L.

mutleyfour
8th May 2006, 11:08
A truly tri Service tragedy, Sympathies to Yeov's and Benson.

professor moriarty
8th May 2006, 11:10
Rest in Peace Dazza et al.
My thoughts and prayers with you and your families.
God rest your souls.

wg13_dummy
8th May 2006, 11:11
A sad day for all services, RAF, RN, RM and AAC.

Thoughts with you all.

The Jock Nag will raise several glasses for you tonight, Dobo.

batfink2
8th May 2006, 11:26
My thoughts are with the families and friends.
Rest in peace.

zic
8th May 2006, 11:49
JC you will be greatly missed, a tragic day for the aviation community. Condolences for all.

RIP

Smudger552
8th May 2006, 11:54
It is disturbing to read that the 5 who died are being reported as 'missing presumed dead'. Where are the bodies?

My thoughts are with the devastated families...

Smudge

anotherchopride?!
8th May 2006, 12:05
RIP Dazza et al. Thoughts and condolences to all the families....

ProfessionalStudent
8th May 2006, 12:18
Our thoughts are with the families and friends of the brave guys and girls who died.

May they all rest in peace.

Mr and Mrs ProStu

Nr Nh T6
8th May 2006, 12:56
Thoughts and condolences to friends and family.
One in the Scottish Horse for you tonight Dobbo.
RIP
Nr Nh T6

Line_book
8th May 2006, 13:28
Dobbo, one of the nicest, most genuine blokes one could ever hope to meet. Rest in peace mate, many good memories and good times had, too many to mention, I think you would agree - I will put one on the bar for you tonight. You will be missed greatly. My thoughts are with your family at this terribly sad parting of ways.

Thomas coupling
8th May 2006, 13:36
Apologies for my ignorance:

Can someone tell me why there was a rep from each service on board, and was it an army or RN lynx?

thanks

ranger703
8th May 2006, 13:47
Apologies for my ignorance:
Can someone tell me why there was a rep from each service on board, and was it an army or RN lynx?
thanks

The reason for that is of no consequence to you or for that matter any of us on this board nor indeed is the operator of the helicopter.
RIP guys,thoughts with your families and friends.

Ranger703

"Archer Base"

lukeylad
8th May 2006, 13:59
rest in peace lads and madam, some where your still flying proud!

spiders
8th May 2006, 14:04
The Aircraft was from 847 Naval Air Squadron, out of Yeovil. 5 souls on board, no survivors. Rest in Peace lads......

TacTrucker
8th May 2006, 14:19
Dazza,

Your wicked sense of humour will be sorely missed. Keep a cold one on ice for me!

Tigs2
8th May 2006, 15:44
This is a very very sad day. Condolences to all the families. John Coxen was one of the nicest men in the world. I never heard him say a bad word about anyone, and nobody ever said a bad word about him. Rest in peace all of you. So so sad.

nice castle
8th May 2006, 15:46
My sincere condolences to the families of those on board.

In the rising and the setting of the Sun,
we will remember Them

Rest In Peace

Father Jack Hackett
8th May 2006, 15:58
I've just seen the names and clearly we have lost 5 more of our finest.

I had the honour to work alongside Dobo in his previous job and he was without a doubt one of the most impressive individuals I have encountered. He was an extremely capable officer and aviator and a true gentlemen.

He will be sorely missed as will the rest of the crew.

I shared many a bottle of VC with Dobo so I'm off to the bar now to crack one open and raise a glass to himself and his crew.

RIP:(

STANDTO
8th May 2006, 16:07
we all signed up knowing that we might have to go to war - especially those younger in service, but is it just me, that every time I read one of these tragedies, I can only think what a complete and utter bloody waste of life.

Words don't say enough.

Mercyman
8th May 2006, 16:30
Have just heard the names. Condolences to all family members. Having worked with Sarah in the past before leaving the forces. What can I say but what a sad sad loss she will surely be missed by all that knew her.

Sarah will be raising a glass in your memory

Rest in Peace :(

Duncan D'Sorderlee
8th May 2006, 17:23
RIP

Dunc.

ShyTorque
8th May 2006, 17:39
"Young" John Coxen was one of our Gazelle students on the Basic Helicopter course at Shawbury in 1985.

His cheerful good nature under pressure was noted even though he didn't find the course easy. By his sheer dogged determination and hard work he deservedly gained his pilot's wings. Once on a squadron he blossomed and was selected to become a QHI himself. I was very pleased indeed to hear that he later did so well that he became OC 1 AFT Sqn.

It is awful for John and his colleagues to be lost in this terrible way. My very sincere condolences to all of the bereaved families

Pontius Navigator
8th May 2006, 17:50
Sarah worked for me shortly after she finished training. I recommended her for a commission. As they say, she was a star from the start. Very sad.

stas-fan
8th May 2006, 18:41
Sorry to be a few thousand miles from the Scottish horse tonight, I lnow you'll be there watching over the antics,

Rest in Peace mate,

SF

PlasticCabDriver
8th May 2006, 18:46
When the fateful news emerges for the first time that there is a helicopter down, there is that ever growing fear that someone close to you may have been lost.

Then, as the day goes on, you hear that it is from a different service, and then from a squadron you don't know anyone on, and that little bit of relief creeps in because, although dreadful, you don't personally know anyone who is involved.

Then the names are released, and fate deals you a left hook you never saw coming.

Wg Cdr Coxen, you taught us on 1 Sqn, put up with our buffoonery and grimaced at our dreadful station circle decodes. With a gentle hand, you took boys and girls and turned us into helicopter pilots.

Sir, it was a honour,

PCD

At the going down of the sun, and in the morning,
We will remember Them

fredator
8th May 2006, 18:49
Goodbye Sarah,

You were one of the most popular airwomen I knew at LATCC(Mil) and had an awesome sense of humour. I know you were going places as a fine young officer and thoroughly enjoyed the work you were doing OOA. Such a tragic end to a dynamic and funny girl who lived life to the full.

My heart-felt sorrow to all the other personnel tragically lost and to their families, particularly Lee.

Rest in peace; you will be remembered forever.

Strobin Purple
8th May 2006, 19:20
Rest In Peace.

My sincere condolences to the families and loved ones.

petitfromage
8th May 2006, 19:29
Have just returned home from a trip, got the phone messages and texts.....nervously opened the thread.
And now just numb.

God speed Dazza!

My thoughts are with all the families, the Junglie community at large and all those touched by this horrid loss.

We'll be drinking to you tonight in Hong Kong as words are not enough.....

scottishbeefer
8th May 2006, 20:25
I was Dobo's beefer at Shawbury - you could not hope to meet a better bloke.

RIP to the crew. Hope 847 et al keep on smiling through some tough times.

SB

seven4mankind
8th May 2006, 20:26
My heart aches at the loss of our colleagues and grieves for their families, friends and the those left behind. Please know that you have the love, thoughts and prayers of us all.
It is always so moving to see jets and helicopters flying over our troops on the ground - protecting them and joining with them - and it was equally so heart rending to see those troops on the ground rushing despite the risks, fear and pain they must have felt, to protect and care for our colleagues who had so tragically perished. Our friends and your loved ones were not alone, at the end.

Gods' speed

R.I.P.

S4M

fantaman
8th May 2006, 20:46
Evening Folks,

I must admit that even though I didn't know any of the souls on board the helicopter, I'm not surprised by the response on pprune. It would appear that those who did know them, held them all in highest regard.

With everyone’s blessing I would like to put an idea forward. At the end of this month, I would like to take all the comments and post's from this thread (apart from the press/question related ones) and turn them into a book of condolence. I will find a tasteful book cover and with the help of the local graphic’s section will print off the thoughts.

I will then send three copies to 847 Sqn and two to RAF Benson so that our late colleagues families and friends can see that although the crew may be gone, they have not been forgotten. I'm sure the family and friends already but I think it would be a nice way to honour them.

Please feel fee to agree or disagree with the idea and let me know your thoughts, both good and bad.

Thanks

haribo boy
8th May 2006, 20:56
To the families whose worst fears have been realised, believe that the loved ones you have lost in body will live on in spirit, my thoughts are with you all, we will remember them every day and with every last breath we all take. God speed to them, RIP.:(

ahav8tor
8th May 2006, 21:06
I agree, Good idea Fantaman.:ok:

dolphinops
8th May 2006, 21:09
I was honoured to know Sarah, and Lee is a good friend and colleague.
Words cannot express my feelings well enough.
I am pleased to see all these messages of support tonight.
My condolences to all the families.

pedroalpha
8th May 2006, 21:19
I am so sorry.

-From an old SH pilot

Pedro

Talking Radalt
8th May 2006, 21:39
Can't say I knew John Coxen on a genuinely personal level but met and flew with him several times, as recently as the beginning of this year. Although our meetings were fleeting and purely professional, he was one of those people who always found time to stop and chat, even to chumps like me whom he hardly knew, if at all.
Sir, those rare occasions we flew together were a pleasure. RIP.

Hueymeister
8th May 2006, 21:42
A sad loss - to all the families my sincerest condolences.

Last saw Dazza at Yeovs not long ago. Hope the Jungly community rallies round his and Dobbo's families ASAP.

HM

Hippy
8th May 2006, 21:51
Sarah, you will be missed for many reasons, not least for laughing at my hair-cut and making Basrah bearable with your humour and compassion.
Scouse, I wish you the strength you need to even start dealing with this.
My deepest sympathies to the families of all who have been so cruelly taken.
Frank.
XXX

GolfSierra
8th May 2006, 21:59
My thoughts and prayers go to the family and friends.

Fantaman: great idea, also consider including comments from the Army Rumour Service thread: http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=37795.html

sirsaltyhelmet
8th May 2006, 22:37
Little Sarah-Jayne, you were a top boss who never stopped in your determination to get me in to the gym. A pleasure to know. Lee, my thoughts are with you.

JC, an Officer and very much the gentleman. You were the first person I ever met on 28(AC) Sqn. You had a smile and a hello for everyone.

RIP and God speed

Canary Boy
8th May 2006, 22:49
Lee - my thoughts are with you. I was honoured to know Sarah and took no little pride in watching both of your careers develop. Professional, caring, unselfish, funny - Sarah really was a genuine Diamond.
In sadness
Ian D
Fantaman - you may wish to look at http://www.e-goat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=956

fireflybob
8th May 2006, 23:45
I am not in the UK military but have instructed for same in the past and I was gutted to here the news of this loss.

My thoughts and prayers are with all family, friends and colleagues.

AngloPepper
9th May 2006, 00:01
What a talented group of individuals. A true tragedy to lose them all.
I worked with John on and off for a couple of years. He was a real gentleman. Cool under pressure and a real professional.

helic9
9th May 2006, 05:52
Having worked with three of these brave and professional servicemen in the past all I can offer from myself and my wife is our deepest sympathy to the families and friends of all these brave soles..

Dazzer you were an inspiration to a lot of "junglies" long will you be remembered...

Brain Potter
9th May 2006, 06:28
Deepest sympathy to the families and friends of those involved.

John Coxen was my boss a few years ago and I met him again recently. He was a thoroughly decent man and I am shocked and saddened by this news.

This tragedy has a terrible poignancy as it involves people from every service and from such varied backgrounds. They were all our brothers and sisters-in-arms.

The Swinging Monkey
9th May 2006, 07:00
I've already posted earlier, but I just had to post again to express my dreadful shock and utter sadness after hearing who the crew was.

None of them will ever be forgotten. Their place in history is secured forever and we aviators that are left can only recall the wonderful and happy times we shared with our fallen colleagues, and hold them in the honour they deserve. I am humbled to have known them.

Their nearest and dearest will be well cared for and looked after, because that is what we do, and frankly we do it well.
God Bless you all, you are so very much in all our thoughts and prayers.

Mr & Mrs Swinging Monkey

GengisKhant
9th May 2006, 07:30
A tragic loss...., and heartfelt condolences to the families of those involved in this incident.

If I may...., a word of comfort to those left behind ....,

from a quotation by Henry Scott Holland....

"Death is nothing at all......
I have only slipped away into the next room....
Call me by my own familiar name....
Speak to me in the easy way which we always used....
Put no difference in your tone....
Wear no false air of solemnity or sorrow....
Laugh as we always laughed at the little jokes together.....
Please smile. Think of me, Pray for me....."

Elegia
9th May 2006, 08:03
My deepest sympathy to all families and friends.

I didn't know any of them but did work with Sarah's husband Lee during my time in the RAF. - Scouse, words probably won't help much at the moment but my thoughts are with you. Take care mate. Very best regards, Vinny (Leeming '91-'96)

teeteringhead
9th May 2006, 08:22
What a tragedy, and yet another indication of how truly joint the Force is now, despite the inter-cap badge banter.

JC I knew best - he was almost too much of a gentleman for the SH Force - but two of the others slightly. JC I remember first as a stude at Shawbury; looking at my logbook I see I did his end of course check on the Wessex. I also recall him as a very diplomatic Course Leader when his course got into a punch-up in Shrewsbury!! As ShyTorque notes above, he had to work hard, but was the embodiment of the theory that those who didn't find it easy themselves at first become the best instructors. He certainly was one of the best, as subsequent tours running the Gazelles at Shawbz and (a post he was born to do) R & S Wing at Benz showed.

Someone once said that anyone who joins the military, particularly as an aviator, writes a cheque they hope will never be cashed... for these it was cashed far too soon. It also seems wrong to this aging aviator that yet another of his ex-studes has got to the Big Happy Hour in the Sky before he has. See you there one day fellas (and S-J).

RIP all and condolences to all whom they loved and who loved them.

Top idea on the booklet Fantaman.

plans123
9th May 2006, 09:02
RIP and my thoughts go out to you and your families at this dark time.

A top idea though Fantaman. There are many over on E-Goat who knew them, I'm sure they wouldn't mind being added to a book of condolence.

http://www.e-goat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=956

PaulR
9th May 2006, 09:09
I rarely post, and never before in this forum as I am not serving military, but the news of this tragedy has deeply moved me as I grew up around former and serving RAF and Army personnel overseas and have many fond memories of good times.

My heartfelt sympathy to the families and friends of these five fine people who were doing a wonderful job in very difficult conditions. May their names live for evermore in all our hearts. Sleep well.

God Bless all our men and women serving in Iraq. Stay safe.

Thank you.

Chameleon
9th May 2006, 09:29
Terrible news for the Junglie / SH communities - both past & present. Dazza, you were an inspiration. So many fond memories (at work & play!) RIP. My sympathies to the families of all involved. C

moosemaster
9th May 2006, 10:27
It's never easy, losing colleagues.

God Bless.

Wee Jock McPlop
9th May 2006, 10:52
My sincere condolences to the families of those involved in this incident. May the comments and contributions of these posts give you some comfort during these very difficult days. They were clearly very special and well thought of people. May they rest in peace.

To those that continue to serve in Iraq, our thoughts and prayers are with you. You are doing a remarkable job in such very difficult circumstances. Best wishes to you all.

A2QFI
9th May 2006, 11:05
A moving poem. summarising loss, grief, happy memories and hopes for the future of those who are bereaved and live on.

Remember me when I am gone away,
Gone far away into the silent land;
When you can no more hold me by the hand,
Nor I half turn to go yet turning stay.
Remember me when no more day by day
You tell me of our future that you plann'd:
Only remember me; you understand
It will be late to counsel then or pray.
Yet if you should forget me for a while
And afterwards remember, do not grieve:
For if the darkness and corruption leave
A vestige of the thoughts that once I had,
Better by far you should forget and smile
Than that you should remember and be sad.

My sympathy to the bereaved and all their relatives and friends.

Epsilon minus
9th May 2006, 13:37
I thought that some quotes from Omar Khayam Rubaiyat would be fitting here

Khayam, if you are intoxicated with wine, enjoy!
If you are seated with a lover of thine, enjoy!
In the end, the Void the whole world employ
Imagine thou art not, while waiting in line, enjoy
Meaning:
In life devote yourself to joy and love
Behold the beauty of the peaceful dove
Those who live, in the end must all perish
Live as if you are already in heavens above

Literal:
O friend, for the morrow let us not worry
This moment we have now, let us not hurry
When our time comes, we shall not tarry
With seven thousand-year-olds, our burden carry.
Meaning:
O hark, let us not think of the morrow
Cherish this moment, far from sorrow
Life is a temporal gift that we borrow
Whether dead for ages, or leave tomorrow.

Literal:
In childhood we strove to go to school,
Our turn to teach, joyous as a rule
The end of the story is sad and cruel
From dust we came, and gone with winds cool.
Meaning:
Pursuing knowledge in childhood we rise
Until we become masterful and wise
But if we look through the disguise
We see the ties of worldly lies.

Literal:
When the canary made its way to the field
Found the rose and wine smiling, kneeled,
In tongues its message in my ear it thus reeled
Hark, no moment in time did twice yield.
Meaning:
I watched the birds on nature’s stage
Playful, in flight, page after page
Thus opened the doors of my cage
& learnt each moment to fully engage.

Literal:
Heaven is incomplete without a heavenly romance
Let a glass of wine be my present circumstance
Take what is here now, let go of a promised chance
A drumbeat is best heard from a distance.
Meaning:
A future fantasy is no more than vain hope
With wishful minds for which we grope
I’d rather improve my current scope
To an upward trend from a downward slope

Literal:
The day the stallion of time was tamed and trained
Venus and Jupiter were adorned and stained
This life for us was allotted and ordained
This was not our will; were thus chained and restrained.
Meaning:
Same hands that formed Venus and Sun
And wove the fabric that makes time run
Same hands brought us here, and when done
Will leave behind dust, as if we were none.

God bless the five who gave their lives for this country and the good folk of Iraq. You will find no suicide bombers at the gates of heaven. you will share eternal peace with the good and the great
RIP
EM

professor moriarty
9th May 2006, 15:56
Evening Folks,
I must admit that even though I didn't know any of the souls on board the helicopter, I'm not surprised by the response on pprune. It would appear that those who did know them, held them all in highest regard.
With everyone’s blessing I would like to put an idea forward. At the end of this month, I would like to take all the comments and post's from this thread (apart from the press/question related ones) and turn them into a book of condolence. I will find a tasteful book cover and with the help of the local graphic’s section will print off the thoughts.
I will then send three copies to 847 Sqn and two to RAF Benson so that our late colleagues families and friends can see that although the crew may be gone, they have not been forgotten. I'm sure the family and friends already but I think it would be a nice way to honour them.
Please feel fee to agree or disagree with the idea and let me know your thoughts, both good and bad.
Thanks
Excellent idea fantaman

professor moriarty
9th May 2006, 16:03
it may be early and forgive me, but can anyone at Yeovs tell me if there is a service planned at St Barts. I'm long gone from Somerset and the mob, but still drop in there evry so often to remember lost friends.

Thanks
PM

bikeface
9th May 2006, 16:49
Im re writing this message as i put it in the wrong place yesterday,sorry but i wanted it to be included with eveyone elses for the family.Of course our hearts and thoughts go to all the people were taken,but this is for the family and friends of captain david dobson.On our last posting in ni i worked in the place david called home,and would like you to know your son was a perfect gentleman kind,sincere,considerate and genuine and as a mother of four sons and a wife of one it was a pleasure and a privallige to look after him,and sneak him extra black cherry yoghurts!god bless you all.
Mrs and Mr Bikeface

Jobza Guddun
9th May 2006, 18:16
Strangers to me they all were, but I am still saddened by their tragic passing, as I am with all our losses. Sincere condolences to familes, friends and colleagues, I hope you all find the strength and help you need at this time.

Fantaman, an excellent idea, best of luck in your endeavours.

A2QFI, I've seen that poem before, a fine and poignant post...

Best wishes all

Jobza

animo et fide
9th May 2006, 19:24
Met John a couple of times at Odiham, truly a nice bloke. Worked with Sarah-Jane's husband Scouse in Gib many years ago. My family and my thoughts are with you and the other families at this very difficult time.

Fantaman, think your idea is excellent fully back you up

old-timer
9th May 2006, 20:59
I think the book of condolences idea from fantaman is a lovely suggestion,

Words are not enough at times like these but I hope our messages can offer some comfort to those who have lost their loved ones.

Deepest heartfelt condolences - it is an absolute tragedy - they were
such honourable & wonderful people.

Deepest respects to one & all

Spacer
9th May 2006, 22:10
Fantaman: A great idea

RIP to those aviators... another sad loss

William Elshgit
9th May 2006, 23:06
May you all rest in peace and may god be with you.
William
Fantaman, a wonderful idea.

Arkroyal
9th May 2006, 23:06
Shared a lot of laughs and a lot of ale with you, Daz. Hard to believe I won't be doing it again.

You were a bl00dy star, mate, and a much loved and respected one. RIP. My thoughts are with Liz.

And with the loved ones of the rest of your crew.

With sorrow,

Mr and Mrs Arky

flarecheckohdear
9th May 2006, 23:49
Met Dazza when he was just a sprog in the eighties. Shared ships/aircraft/tents/beers & many laughs. A great bloke and a true professional. Words can't express how I feel for his loss and for the loss of his colleagues on the aircraft doing a dangerous job in a dangerous place. For a lot of us on this forum in times past...'There but for the Grace of God..'. My condolences for their families. See you in that great Jungly playground in the sky Dazza.

N Arslow
10th May 2006, 14:22
I did not know any of the five, but from the descriptions by people who knew them, I somehow imagine them walking into the light with those Iraqi kids - holding their hands and comforting them.

My sincere condolences to their collegues and particularly their loved ones.

Rest in peace.

ZoomZoom
10th May 2006, 21:42
RIP

You will not be forgotten...

Chicken Leg
11th May 2006, 04:03
Dobbo,

You will be sorely missed. An officer, a gentlemen and I'm proud to say a good friend.

I won't forget that big cheesy grin that you always wore, your sense of humour and above all, your genuine zest for life.

The world is a poorer place without you mate.

MM

cobaltfrog
11th May 2006, 20:08
Can't let this thread finish yet.

tablet_eraser
11th May 2006, 21:29
Sarah was on my IOT flt. A fantastic, bubbly, determined girl. As an ex-ranker she was absolute gold for the flt, helping us through some of the initial stages and keeping us motivated through tough times. I've spoken to another friend from the flt - we're absolutely devastated to hear the news. My thoughts are with her family, and the familes of the others who lost their lives.

She's been in my prayers and will remain in some of my fondest memories.

Do not stand at my grave and weep
I am not there; I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond glints on snow,
I am the sun on ripened grain,
I am the gentle autumn rain.

When you awaken in the morning's hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry,
I am not there; I did not die.

Rakshasa
11th May 2006, 22:21
Such a sad, sad loss, felt at some many levels and places.

My heart goes out to the families of such fine people. The world is a worse place without them.

RIP

Frankie

Hippy
12th May 2006, 02:28
May I interrupt to say:
I haven't been able, due to service reasons, to visit Lee Mulvihill personally but I have been told by fellow colleagues that he has been reading the messages on this and the other fora mentioned. It will take a very long time for the wounds of friends and families deprived of loved ones to heal. Your messages are, I'm sure, aiding those processes in some small way.
I welcome Fantaman's offer to collect the many poignant messages and poems into a single, everlasting, volume. A great gesture.
On a positive note, now that Sarah is running the Ops desk at that great airfield in the sky, we can all be assured of a safe arrival and a warm welcome. Get the kettle on sweetie, the cookies are on the way! :ok:

fantaman
12th May 2006, 11:12
Afternoon All,

Many thanks to everyone who responded to my request earlier in the week. I’ve had a good reaction to the idea of a book of condolence so it is my intention to go ahead with it. I will wait until the end of the month before I start work on it to let anyone else add their comments.

Many thanks to those who sullied the link to the e-goat forum, the thoughts from them will also be included in the book. So far between the two forums there are over two hundred and fifty posts, all suitable will be included.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions then please get in touch via PM.

Regards

Fantaman

Non-PC Plod
12th May 2006, 12:57
Although we all know tragedies like this happen from time to time, it doesn't prevent the feeling of shock when you see the face of someone you knew, worked for, respected and quaffed multiple ales with staring at you from an obituary in The Telegraph.
I know that the Commando Helicopter Force will have the resolve to continue what they are doing in the professional manner they always have. The thoughts of many ex-junglies are with you and your families.

tqsplit
12th May 2006, 13:48
Heartfelt condolences to families, friends and colleagues. Although I did not know any of these brave souls, it is obvious from previous messages that they were all held in the highest regard. For those that need, I hope you find some solace in the tributes that have been paid.
tqsplit

strek
12th May 2006, 15:00
I was previlaged enough to work with Darren for 2 years covering the SK4 capbility area. A great bloke and pilot with a genuine wish to make the most of the assets available.
I hope you are enjoying it up there where the helicopters are always serviceable and have all the extra bits you ever wanted.

mindstorm
12th May 2006, 19:17
Have known JC for 20 years now and have had too many beers with a friend who will be sadly missed.
God bless.

ralphmalph
12th May 2006, 21:56
Dobbo,
I know I will see you down the line in a much much better place. We raised a glass to you on Monday and had a night of laughter and sorrow. Comments were made on your..smooth chat, sarcasim, humor, wit and compassion!!. I heard a door gunner waxing lyrical about how you gave him the mother of all bollockings!! It was the biggest night that we had ever had in the bar!........I only think that is entirely appropiate.
You will be sorely missed by all at Aldergrove and across the Corps.
Many eyes turned to the sky and raised a glass...thought thoughts and shed many a tear.

God Speed and Love

Ralph Malph

Jayfer
13th May 2006, 00:48
All of those lost in this dreadful attack were loved, cherished and held in the highest esteem by so many. Our thoughts and sincere condolences are with all of their families, friends and colleagues.
Darren, you were a very funny man! We will all miss you terribly.
Jayfer, Jan, Jo & Phil

Sarah-Jayne
13th May 2006, 03:53
Thanx to everyone, it means more than you can imagine!!!!

Scouse.

Fantaman, thanx it will be much appreciated.

LynehamMuppet
13th May 2006, 04:34
My thoughts are with the family and friends of those lost, They have gone to a better place.

May you fly forever, Rest in Peace

LM

Talk Wrench
13th May 2006, 21:39
Silbs,

I think that you comments about banter and also of service could not ring truer.

The Mil Aviation community, serving, previously served or not have all come together once again.

May the families of the departed take great comfort that there are thousands of people who share the loss.

One big family we are. When we lose one of ours, we all feel the pain.

Once again, from Talk Wrench and Mrs Talk Wrench (a Benson Airwoman), we salute our fallen friends and offer our support to the families involved.

Talk Wrench

Almost_done
13th May 2006, 21:54
Scouse

As a serving airman at Benson you have both mine and Mrs A-ds thoughts at this time, our thoughts are with you and the other famlies at this time and always.

At the going down of the sun we will remember them.

Mr & Mrs A-d

WASALOADIE
14th May 2006, 18:52
JC it was a great pleasure and real honour to serve with you all those years ago on 7 Sqn, I still cherish the memories of being your running buddy on WSS.

I raise a glass to you and those who perished with you.

sincere condolences to all your families.

wasaloadie

MarkFour
15th May 2006, 12:14
It is such a deeply sorrowful time when friends, comrades and brothers in arms are taken from us, and a painful truth that it is the good guys and girls that are taken too soon.
Dazzer was a good friend, a consummate professional and the archetypal junglie; an inspiration not only to his peers but also all those that he taught and mentored so well.
Our thoughts and prayers are with Liz and kids and the families and friends of all those lost.
One of Dazzer's greatest strengths was his inexorable sense of humour which would brighten even the darkest horizon. It is of some comfort to know that he would have some irreverent 'one liner' ready now that would have us all in fits.
RIP and God bless those you leave behind.
MkIV & Mrs

SID East
15th May 2006, 17:39
I had the privilege of spending about a year working alongside Sarah through IOT, holding, and JATCC and it was a real privilege to have known her.
I am currently deployed at Basrah and was able to catch up with her recently over a beer or two. We were talking and laughing about the fun times we had on JATCC together.
I am gutted for us all at her loss. She was a really down-to-earth and genuine person who always knew how to make light of any situation - usually with a beer and a joke. I personally received some rock-solid advice from her on several occasions and she was a real inspiration for me.
I know that friends and colleagues from our days at Shawbury will be raising a glass or 2 for her at an appropriate moment. I reckon she would have liked that.
SID East

jayteeto
15th May 2006, 18:35
Just back from the states and heard the news a week late, bugger....
John Coxen was my boss on 1 Sqn at Shawbury. Such a nice bloke and an excellent QHI. A lot of you from 18-23 courses probably do not realise how much that you owe this man. Often, us QHIs were screaming... "Chop Him, Chop Him!!" at staff meetings, while JC quietly listened and came up with nicer solutions that virtually always proved us wrong. :sad:

Water boy
17th May 2006, 11:59
I am currently serving with 847 and would like to say thanks loads to all of you who have taken time to offer support within this forum.

For those of us deployed and back at the Squadron it is great comfort to know there are so many thinking of the individuals lost, their families and those that were lucky to have been working with them.

The many posts of support towards our CO (Lt Cdr Darren Chapman) really do reinforce what was already apparent to all of us; We were incredibly lucky to be under your Command.

From a personal point of view I would like to add a few words about Paul Collins who many of you will not have known. As stated by others being a Royal Marine was everything to him and he represented Royal with unquestioned loyalty. I was lucky to experience his selfless professionalism over 2 months as our gunner, you kept us in check. Lasting memories will be his strong resolve at continuing to grow a very dodgey 'tache long after his fellow gunners crumbled, you deffinetly won that bet!! Also I cannot imagine a better 'dance' back to the aircraft after escorting pax away which was only surpassed in ammusement by your 50cc motor bike impression. You are a top bloke who made our tour very entertaining coupled with a most excellent demonstration of professional ability. You are missed.

Finally, Dobbo I only knew you for a short period and I cannot imagine anyone fitting in so rapidly as you did. Your humour and personality were totally infectious and completley pleasant to be around. I am sure many will relate to an image of very puzzled looks from refuellers when you insisted on giving them high fives as they walked past!! Goodbye mate.

Brian Dixon
17th May 2006, 17:00
Water Boy,

Sir,
A very nice post which serves to remind the likes of me (no longer serving) of the bonds and friendships made when serving away. I knew none who fell on that terrible day, but your pen picture paints a wonderful picture of each character. Thank you.

Perhaps at some suitable point in the future, five named trophies may be available to students in the respective trades, to be awarded for achieving whatever competency - decided upon by relatives of those lost. (My apologies if this is considered inappropriate to post this at this time - I will edit if required)

I wish all on 847 the very best of British and hope that you all return to your loved ones as soon as the situation allows.

With very much respect,
Brian

Talk Split
17th May 2006, 19:01
Dazza helped me get through 848 a few years ago. Enough said...

Sitting here thinking of all the bereaved families.

TS

timex
18th May 2006, 18:57
Waterboy, nicely put.

Shaun

SH_Mate
19th May 2006, 07:03
Just re-joined as I lost my original log in

Had to rejoin to add my and Mrs SHM's heartfelt condolances to the families and friends of all involved. This has been a dreadful couple of weeks. I did not know Sarah-Jayne or the 847 NAS crew but JC I did know. I was never on the same outfit but worked with him many times. The comments of all on here and from RAF Benson really sum him up. He was a true Gent one of those rare people you meet in life who you instantly feel good about. I only spoke to him a few days before he deployed and know he was really enjoying the job and the chance to fly both ac.

God speed to you all, the world is an emptier place without you.

...We will remember them.

tallbart
19th May 2006, 23:34
As someone has already said - what a great Joint loss this has been.
I knew JC from his start with the SHF and flew with him a few times too. A real gent who achieved much in his truly professional career.
This is no way for us all to lose such a great bunch of people.
My condolences to all their friends and loved ones.

rab-k
20th May 2006, 09:11
Like so many 'Civvys', the names of the 100+ souls in uniform who have perished to date are just that, names. Never having had the privilege of meeting/working with these individuals you become numbed to the sadly ever increasing list and the false sentiment displayed by so many of our political masters.

It was only when my Brother-in-Law, (who although no longer in the RAF but having been on the same IOTC), pointed out Sarah in his Flight's Graduation photograph that it was brought home to me that behind those names and the media circus that surround their tragic deaths, are real people whose families, colleagues and friends have had them so cruelly torn from their lives.

You all have my deepest, heartfelt sympathies.

Achilles426
21st May 2006, 18:28
I have been out of the loop a bit, as I now live out of the country. However having seen the BBC coverage of the crew coming home; I feel I must contribute my feelings.
I flew with Dazza as a QAI on 848 and can think of no finer individual - to sum up a fellow Junglie – a sense of humour, a sense of honour, a sense of professionalism and above all he had that Junglie Panache.

My thoughts go out to all the crew and their families and friends,

This was a very special group of people brought together and so sadly taken from us.

Tone.L

Tigs2
29th May 2006, 14:50
Just got back to Blighty
does anyone have news on the funerals, i hope they were a fitting tribute to these much loved boys and girls.

Waterboy, i loved your last post, it took me straight back to GW1 and how our young private gunner/medic kept us in place.

Brian
great idea, i can sort out a couple of names, i am forwarding a suggestion to SBY i will keep you advised by pm.

Sven Sixtoo
29th May 2006, 19:29
Tigs

Funerals yet to come

We will do it right.

Sven

brain fade
30th May 2006, 00:20
Not involved personally, but really touched by the genuine and sincere posts concerning the loss of these five souls.

Is there a thread on pprune concerning the 36,000 Iraqi civilians killed, where similar heartfelt posts can be found?

Spotting Bad Guys
30th May 2006, 06:47
This is not the place for politics or for passing judgement on the rights and wrongs of the situation - just our way of remembering and honouring our fallen comrades. Please let's keep it that way.

SBG

jayteeto
30th May 2006, 07:01
Brain Fade..... Sod Off and start a thread if you feel so strongly, just stay away from here with your political comments. We actually do worry about all those innocent civilians, that is why the military put their lives on the line every single day...... Because they believe in doing the right thing and try to keep the country as safe as they are allowed to..... D**khead.

ShyTorque
30th May 2006, 09:05
Brain Fade, what sort of a stupid and insensitive comment is that? Totally inappropriate, for a start. Your pseudonym is entirely correct. :*

Green Flash
30th May 2006, 09:16
BF

Do something usefull for a change - pick up a GPMG, take Marine Collins lead & kneel in the door - only you won't be half as good as him or any of the others. Despite your handle, try using your brain.

fantaman
30th May 2006, 09:19
Not involved personally, but really touched by the genuine and sincere posts concerning the loss of these five souls.

Is there a thread on pprune concerning the 36,000 Iraqi civilians killed, where similar heartfelt posts can be found?

I hope your next s:mad: t is a hedgehog! Someone delete his post! :*

Stafford
30th May 2006, 09:28
Brain Fade

:ugh: :hmm: :rolleyes:

diginagain
30th May 2006, 09:47
Brain dead - whilst everyone's free to have their own opinion, sometimes expressing just makes you look like like a complete c*ck.:*

MarkD
30th May 2006, 14:17
brain fade

It's on indymedia with the rest of the surrender monkeys. Off you go, there's a good lad :D

TacEval Inject
30th May 2006, 19:25
BF,

**** orf.

When you get there, **** orf again.

TI

rock_dove
30th May 2006, 19:29
Brain Fade??!! Brain Fart more like, wise up.:mad:

lindslow
30th May 2006, 20:21
Don't worry about him. It's not worth your efforts .......... and that's just what he wants. Big minded small time satisfaction!

"His "mind" is so limited by the cesspool of his bigotry that he assumes EVERYONE ELSE sees the world as he does, in simple black or white terms. Not true, of course, but he cannot see past his own pre-concieved notions."

Sparkie72
1st Jun 2006, 07:30
Hi, Not Forces but grew up with to Lt Cmdr Chapman, i have known Dazzer since we were 7 we grew up together more like cousins.
It's is so good to see all the good posts about him, anyone who knew Dazzer knew what he was like an inspiration to everyone.
His sudden death has hit us all, we still can't believe we won't see that smile or hear that laugh, we heard about the wake at RNAS when 300+ were about to raise a glass to him and yes the fire alarms went off, see he won't even get a round in from upstairs.
Thanks to all at RNAS for the help and support to Liz and the kids, and also to the RM driver who drove his mum and dad they speak highly of you.
One last thing DAZZER keep a watchful eye over everyone, we lost one of the best and don't want to lose anyone else.