PDA

View Full Version : Horse Riding Accident

ProfessionalStudent
6th May 2006, 08:25
From The Times, Friday 5th May 2006

RIDER'S DEATH

A woman was killed when her horse, a former steeplechaser that ran under the name Greenback, bolted in pursuit of another horse and she fell off. Janet McDonagh, 52, of Letchworth, Hertfordshire, suffered a brain haemorrhage. The Hertfordshire Coronor recorded a verdict of accidental death.

While my sympathies are with those involved in this accident, in the light of recent restrictions to low flying as a result of fatal horse accidents, are we now to see restrictions placed on riding former racehorses recreationally, or perhaps a ban on riding with others?

Probably not methinks, as the namby pamby, lily-livered, pushover MOD lawyers haven't got involved.

Rant over and as I said, my sympathies go out to the friends and family of the rider involved.

Elmlea
6th May 2006, 20:02
are we now to see restrictions placed on riding former racehorses recreationally, or perhaps a ban on riding with others?

As a pilot and a rider, I hope not! The problem with horses is that they'll all spook at something; they're used to being prey so are always on the lookout for anything that might kill them. Something as small as a white plastic bag coming out from a green bush might surprise them, but a quick reassurance from the rider's often enough. One of my horses was terrified of a bloke flying a kite. Unfortunately, if you have a large object appear in the horse's line of view that it's never seen before which generates a lot of noise, it's going to be a bit scared. Scared horses react in different ways, and you'll find a Welsh cob or an Irish Sports horse as spooky as an ex-racer thoroughbred if you're unlucky.

I've flown over a lot of horses; and been flown over enough to know that most don't mind a bit of noise. And accidents happen; but if you can plan not to ride where low flying helicopters are, or plan not to low fly where there's a riding event, so much the better.

I believe a famous low-flying-helicopter-vs-horse incident was compounded by the fact the rider wasn't wearing any head protection. If that's true, then I don't think you have much to complain about.

green granite
6th May 2006, 20:30
I used to ride around the outside of the fence at RAE bedford (it was a bridle path that went around the perimiter fence) the horse I rode would have all 4 feet off the ground if there was a tractor 2 fields away but but if a FJ or a hellicopter came over the top of us at about 100' on short finals he wouldn't bat an eye lid.
So as Elmlea says different things spook horses.

airborne_artist
6th May 2006, 20:34
The ponies that the junior Artists have 2 miles from the secret Oxon heli base are fine with anything RW, but drew line line at the Tonka doing a handbrake turn at about 2000' above their paddock after the Air Day. Then again, one of them will spook at a dock leaf in the wrong place....

aytoo
7th May 2006, 19:26
As a QHI (now civvy), and with a daughter that is pursuing a career in the equine industry, I have great sympathy both for the victim of this - or indeed any - riding accident. I also sympathise with the crew, who will bear the burden of guilt for ever.

However, I do think that the military (for whom I still have the honour to fly) are doing just about as much as possible to minimise the risks to horse and rider, with the recent "improvements to the low-flying system". I just wish the same could be said of the horse fraternity. The BHS 'be safe - be seen' campaign that followed the earlier tragic case with the Chinook and a relatively inexperienced rider seems not to have had any effect at all here in Shropshire. I have to date seen just one rider out of hundreds that has bothered to put on a vizi-vest, and not one with a dayglo helmet cover like this http://www.bhs.org.uk/Content/Ods-More.asp?id=117&pg=Safety&spg=Publications&area=5

Ridgerunner
7th May 2006, 20:00
There are several riding locations near RAF Leuchars that seem to operate fine, and the noise of an afterburner assisted takeoff from where I stay five miles south is considerable!