PDA

View Full Version : over 1000h atpl study/100'000$ spent

A320rider
6th May 2006, 07:04
and still no job after years and years...

airline do not own you a job, but mac donald does!!!

please, pull the trigger!

MrMutra
6th May 2006, 07:24
Welcome Back old chap !

Glad the holiday hasnt changed your out look on life. :)

MrM

:ok:

winch launch
6th May 2006, 08:08
A320,

What were those 1000 hours on/as ?

Fair_Weather_Flyer
6th May 2006, 09:04
Keep 'em coming! I see you're in a relatively optimistic mood at the moment.

AerocatS2A
6th May 2006, 11:39

You need more than just qualifications and money to get hired. You also need to have a good attitude.

Maybe you should go and buy a better attitude.

speedrestriction
6th May 2006, 12:54
Oh thank god for that, I was nearly getting optimistic about my career prospects. He is probably right......I'll apply to McDonalds right now and I won't bother attending the interview I've been called for....

For anyone new to the forum:

DONT LISTEN TO HIM AND DON'T TRY TO ARGUE WITH HIM

sr

zooloflyer
6th May 2006, 15:18
...and you just needed another 40.000€ for that Citation TR at Solid Air...

Bad luck.

A320rider
6th May 2006, 20:12
DONT LISTEN TO HIM AND DON'T TRY TO ARGUE WITH HIM
sr

Exactly, dont argue with me,...and stay poor and miserable for the rest of your life.:{

Deano777
6th May 2006, 22:28

Change the record A320rider, you're really boring now, and how many different ways can you go about telling us the same thing? WE KNOW you can't get a job, I think we're all bright enough to have ascertained that, if you have been trying this long then maybe you need to take a long hard look in the mirror :)

dxbpilot
7th May 2006, 05:05
boo hoo

get on with your life at Mcdonalds and stop bitching.

oh wait I have to go and tell my friends that have payed for all their training that the jobs they have arn't real.

Thanks A320 rider you are the perfect example of how not to get a job.

captwannabe
7th May 2006, 09:09
McDonalds - Do you want a career with that?

What sort of flying have you done since your CPL/IR? Why don't you get a job in GA/aerial survey/etc.? You might well fit in with the FR pilots come to think of it. Most of them seem angry and bitter too. :rolleyes:

A340rider
7th May 2006, 17:42
I agreed with my cousen A320rider..myselv too has spent to many monies on this dreadful flying thing!! I use to be a very happy man putting pins in shirts in the factory and inserting the card board under the collar before ...now im a unhappy man I wish my old job back!! Im very angry the flight school take all my savings...My wife ran off with a midget becoze she too is too angry with me being stress all the time!!

:confused:

raviolis
7th May 2006, 18:02
why McDonalds ?

ok I can appreciate it's hard to get a paid job, but in the meantime there's plenty of better paid and less smelly jobs than McDonalds.
Money can buy you an ATPL but can't buy you personality and attitude.

At least try Burger King ! :-)

A340rider
7th May 2006, 18:35
They both tell me im too over qualify for burger cooking and im not spotty enough!! I just can not win!!

What next ?? maybe I pay for a type rating on the A380 as I think not many people have hours on type for this aircraft..anyone agree with me or is this more waste of moneys???

Im am a poor sod like all of us on here with no job we never get job I dont think unless we pay to fly there planes....:{

OH410E
7th May 2006, 18:46
OMG..its you Borat isnt it ?

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a238/DJShifty/BoratSagdiyev.jpg

A320rider
7th May 2006, 20:04
McDonalds - Do you want a career with that?

What sort of flying have you done since your CPL/IR? Why don't you get a job in GA/aerial survey/etc.? You might well fit in with the FR pilots come to think of it. Most of them seem angry and bitter too. :rolleyes:

uhuhuh!! ...what an excellent idea!!.
then what???,... if it is to hear:"Sir, how many hours of eavy jet do you have in the last 6 months? are you current on the Airbus?"

OR

"do you have 60'000$ for a type rating, we do not employ GA pilot??"

don't take it bad but what you suggest is over ,

... then years pass, and what do you do when 40-45years old?still flight instructor at 6$/hour.Worked 12 hours a day in a c152?

My ex-flight instructors have no life, no girlfriend, no house, no money, and a stupid job.to old now to join an airline, to many hours with bad habits .no money for a type rating,...he is screwed!do you want a career with that?

At least Mac does not ask you money in front, they train you for free, uniform and badge paid... and you can become manager.

stay away from aviation and have a good life!!

A320rider
7th May 2006, 20:08
They both tell me im too over qualify for burger cooking and im not spotty enough!! I just can not win!!

What next ?? maybe I pay for a type rating on the A380 as I think not many people have hours on type for this aircraft..anyone agree with me or is this more waste of moneys???

Im am a poor sod like all of us on here with no job we never get job I dont think unless we pay to fly there planes....:{

You are an imposter, don't believe this clown of A340riderl!!!

captwannabe
7th May 2006, 20:33
You are an imposter, don't believe this clown of A340riderl!!!

There's only one A320rider!

Make connections as an instructor! Even be one of those instructors people always complain about because all they want to do is get into an airline! In your spare time as an instructor, study for a degree! Or just go to college! Or join the RAF! Even go to NZ for a GA job! Do anything!

You have the most :mad: up attitude I have ever come across! Nobody is going to make it any easier for you. If you really wanted to become a pilot, you would do anything for any job where you are paid to fly, build up experience/contacts, and then apply for better jobs.

(Mods, delete if it seems a bit harsh)

A340rider
7th May 2006, 21:25
Im at not imposter my name is A340rider I am a unique and good pilot...I got a 100% in my VFR Comm ATPL..can you score so high in yours I don't think so you can!!

I do not harm anyone on here I am a poor sod...This weekend I fly the C-152 with my new girfreind which I take for a flight...we play Top Gun sound track very loud on boom box in the plane whilst we did slow flight!! Beat that A320 man...my new girlfriend thinks I am Maverick from film :ok:

I hope moderater Scraggs dosent get cross with me, poor little sod just wants to make friends

speedrestriction
8th May 2006, 09:25
Dear Mr.Moderator,

We regularly see threads of a similar nature merged. The threads of A320rider are not similar to eachother, they are IDENTICAL. Would it be possible to merge all of A320rider's threads into one so that he won't any more feel the need to start new threads?

sr

boogie-nicey
8th May 2006, 12:35
Yes A320rider PLEASE pull that trigger

boogie-nicey
8th May 2006, 15:24
If you have a JAA ATPL and from what I gather even FAA qualifications too, along with 1000hr and still can't get an interview let alone a job then you really are the biggest looser in human history. I laugh at your stupidity and total ineptitude towards aviation.

Dear me, do you also look as stupid as you act? You could go to a stupid face competition but get turned away be the staff who inform you "sorry mate no professionals" :E

A320rider
8th May 2006, 18:26
You still dont get it, nobody cares if you have 1000-10'000 h or if you are a FI,...all they want is your $ with no job in return.

and you know why? because there is no job and this stupid industry make you believe there are jobs by looking at the banners.

when you get an interview, the first thing they tell you is how much it will cost you.if you are not happy, leave...then they tell you they have 50 guys and they will take only 2-3 guys.it means 47-48 idiots will have a useless t/rating and no job(If they are stupid to pay).

many of my friends are FI, but no $=no t/r=no job...they are desparated, mad, upset, some have quit for mac do...as a FI you don't make $.

sorry guys, if you don't have 10 -15years in your life to support yourself and 200'000$ for your course, you are dead!

this is why, if you want a normal life, don't try to be a pilot.

captwannabe
8th May 2006, 18:26
If you have such a bad attitude, who the hell would want to sit next to you for a day in the cockpit? As is apparent, qualifications aren't the only thing considered when applying for a job. Even if you get a job, you won't last long with such a negative attitude. Just look at what happened with R. van Nistelrooy yesterday. Ferguson was right - one player shouldn't drag the team down. The exact same principle applies to airlines/any other team.

captwannabe
8th May 2006, 18:37
A320rider: "As a FI you don't make $"

Not at the start, but people do make careers out of instructing (although I imagine you would put a lot of people off flying). If you were truly determined to have a career as a pilot, you wouldn't waste your time here moaning about jobs, you would be doing anything to get a job, build your experience, apply for better jobs. I have to ask, do you actually want to be a pilot? You said "if you want a normal life", but no pilot I know has a normal life.

winch launch
8th May 2006, 18:55
many of my friends
You mean casper and sponge bob?

Seriously I finished my training 3 months ago and already have a job. It' s not JAR25 but it pays good money, I am having fun and building experience. Many of the pilots that used to work for the company where I am now moved on to jets. Some of them were modular and had no type rating, others had ratings, some had contacts....
There are so many different ways to get a jet job you just have to keep moving and networking. Staying at home and browsing the internet doesn' t help a lot.
Stop saying that there are no jobs because I see people around making it to the right hand seat. It can take a lot of time but not necessarily a lot of money.

Winch

boogie-nicey
8th May 2006, 21:27
A320rider you remind me of those muppets that jump out of holes whilst you attempt to hit them with a hammer at the fairground. Maybe that's the job for you :E :E :E :E :E I just can't seem to stop laughing what has got into me.

How about printing your face on toilet paper

(I'm sorry but I just couldn't help myself)

You're my best pal really.

machlimter99
8th May 2006, 21:57
Well ive got over 1600 hours, mostly SEP (fATPL) and no interview, does this make me an idiot too?

Makes me wonder who is actually getting these "jobs".

A380rider
8th May 2006, 23:37
oh god .. my life is over

i acually spent money for training ! why did i do this ??

how dare those other people acually PAY for a type rating or any sort of training ?????

i should have never started my training without realizing that my attitude and skills as a pilot were so lacking, so now i see every day fellow students getting jobs , so now i sit on pprune everyday and bitch and moan and cry about how no one likes me, and how i'm such a failure in life.

boogie-nicey
9th May 2006, 10:38
Machlimiter, no you're not an idiot as long as you have the right attitude. A320rider is trying to swim both sides of the swimming at the same time. He has initiated training and now wants to moan about it to. That quite simply doesn't make sense as there are numerous others students some of whom are in even more dire circumstances that just get on with it. Of course it's tough and indeed it should be, you want to climb a mountain then the legs and going to hurt. Perhaps we are unable to think for ourselves or even out of the box as we've spent so long following a predefined syllabus when we graduate at the other end we no longer realise what to do. Examine why your fellow students are getting jobs, what did they do different from yourself? Maybe their approach was different, maybe their attitude, additional skills perhaps they are naturally more clever than you or then again it might be that ellusive of things .... luck.

There seems to be too much aiming for the bullseye these days where students do the minimum training and then expect the most lucrative job of all. However not everyone thinks like this and there are numerous souls that just want a job to have some money coming in and the first step on the rung of this slippery ladder.

As Scroggs recently pointed out many wannabes lack experience in any industry other than that of aviation and even then it's just FTO and not commercial aviation. We are not unique and I'm sure other industries are just as competitive.

If A320rider has exhausted all possible avenues and things still don't work out then he should give up and do something else. If the industry was as unfair as he states then there would have been a great following of A320rider's comments other than the comical provision it is at the moment.

Over and gout
9th May 2006, 10:48
They both tell me im too over qualify for burger cooking

Maybe should refrain from telling them what your qualifications are. Keep your chin up - if you persist you'll get that Mcdonalds or Burger King job.
Many people have been in that position - longingly looking over the counter and dreaming of being the guy doing the fries, but if your patient, sooner or later your break will come & one day maybe you could even be Assistant Manager. Imagine that!
Best of luck with your quest my friend.:ok:

zooloflyer
9th May 2006, 13:24
There seems to be too much aiming for the bullseye these days where students do the minimum training and then expect the most lucrative job of all. However not everyone thinks like this and there are numerous souls that just want a job to have some money coming in and the first step on the rung of this slippery ladder.

More than right but please also blame the flight schools for telling :mad: to wannabes. Over the last couple of months I met a few guys just finishing with 195hrs integrated ATPL, from 3 different schools - all 200% convinced they were right seat FO by now and yes payback time has started 1.000/month...unfortunately this is not the truth at this time of writing although opportunities are coming up with FI's and other GA fliers upgrading to the TR aircraft but jets seam the only option to most wannabes and that's why people end up frustrated after some time - been there!

Good luck to all :ok:

BTW I don't think it's the right attitude either to attack one personally good or bad...

boogie-nicey
9th May 2006, 14:26
I agree Zooflyer, I am trying to attack the attitude and idea of self pity, moaning, being negative and having a blinkered view of everything. You are right it shouldn't be a personal attack, I'm sorry if it sounded like that.

Good luck to all that BELIEVE

Captain_Scooby
15th May 2006, 14:26

Once you get 4 gold stars, you upgrade from the chip cooker to this:

http://photos.airliners.net/photos/middle/5/2/7/0780725.jpg

HOWEVER, if you're lucky enough to start on the ice-cream machine, you go straight onto this:

http://photos.airliners.net/photos/middle/5/5/8/0074855.jpg

:ok:

boogie-nicey
16th May 2006, 12:32
It also appears that attitude is an important contributing factor in getting that vital job or even interview. The CV conveys alot about you as a person than you'd believe and with HR professionals reviewing them they can pick out things you wouldn't have realised when composing it.

Avaition training does a very good job of teaching you how to conform, follow a syllabus and generally fit into the training culture. However it's like school once you're through the gates at the other end then you're on your own. Too many still believe there's a structured way of getting a job perhaps the FTO should then offer their graduates up to a carrier, not so. Nor is there an additional "land that first job" training module offered by flight schools :)

It's quite bad planning to assume that upon completion an aviation job of any kind will simply 'pop up'. Students shouldn't accept this scenario as the norm only the exception (bonus). Most should be planning to return to work under normal cirumstances and from there await that special job in aviation. This avoids all the hanging on the thread panic that sets in post trainng when the postman just isn't delivering any letters with airline logos on them :) There is nothing wrong with returning to work post training at least it brings in that all important supply of money. Plan carefully and realistically.

A320rider
17th May 2006, 16:31
guys, learn a proper english...I am not surprised why you do not have a job...:}

dlav
17th May 2006, 17:56
This is the most obvious troll in the history of pprune

mcgoo
17th May 2006, 18:27
yet people still keep feeding him!

boogie-nicey
18th May 2006, 09:01
I doubt there's anything wrong with my English.

moggiee
18th May 2006, 13:58
Can I change my name to A400Mrider and get the drop on any more whining wannabees?

Jimmy The Big Greek
18th May 2006, 14:36
I kind of understand A320rider, although he is overdoing it sometimes.

I have myself 1600 hours of that 500 hours multi and I have been waiting for that job to come for about 8 years now. Do I regret that I became a pilot? YES I DO.
I should have chosen to become a medical doctor at least I would have a good paid job.
Now it’s too late for me to study (31 years old) nor do I have the money :ugh:

boogie-nicey
18th May 2006, 16:18
I genuinely symphathise with you "Jimmy The Big Greek" but surely with that kind of experience you must be missing something, what is it? Have you at least had some interviews or phone calls from potential employers. I know many that gain employment with alot less and much older than you? Perhaps cast your net further outwards and if you're not doing anything at the moment then you could do worse than build time instructing on multi engine aircraft maybe even instrument, at least you'd get more time bagged.

I'm no expert (far from it) but something seems amiss and I reckon that it can still be salvaged but one thing that stands out is the line "I have been waiting for that job to come"..... mindset:hmm: Would have been better if you thouhgt along the lines of "chasing that opportunity". Just trying to help my friend, take care and best of luck.

Jimmy The Big Greek
18th May 2006, 19:50
The problem is that I can not find one single airline that does not require typerating and I am not paying for the type.

If you know any airlines that does not require a type please post.

A340rider
19th May 2006, 20:50
Maverick think maybe you have hygene smell problem haha if you not get job in so long with all them hour..haha just playing the joke haha :ugh:

boogie-nicey
19th May 2006, 21:20
that's uncalled for A340rider, there's no need for those kind of remarks. At least "Jimmy the Big Greek" is trying and doesn't feel he needs to hurl insults at fellow ppruners in order to advance himself.

Get a life sunshine, you're clearly light years away from anything that an airline or any other company would want in from an employee.

Maybe the system isn't harsh but working well as it effectively leaves out people like you on the sidelines, thank god :E

mcgoo
19th May 2006, 21:29
:= , now, now play nicely!

Jimmy The Big Greek
19th May 2006, 22:33
A340rider I dont know how I should reply to your post but I am not going to sink to your level.

To all wannabes, PLEASE follow my advise.

1) If you have set your mind to become an airline pilot always think that maybe it will take a long time before you get a job or even that you never gonna get an airline job.

2) Don't make same misstake as me. Study first something that is not aviation related to have something to fall back on.

I really wish that all of you get jobs quickly so you don't have to go through hell like me.

Good luck to everyone,

oligoe
20th May 2006, 16:07
Hello all,

I really agree with what Jimmy just said exept maybe for the spare "non aviation" job. I think it should also be aviation related. The aviation world is so small ! Poeple are moving so much from airline to airline that you will soon know somebody in almost every company.
And yes you are also right when you say that you must be aware that you will maybe never get that flying job after having paid so much for training. But what if you haven t tried it, and, one day, you wake up in the morning, you are 50 years old, your job is borring you and you start thinking.... If only I had tried it, maybe I would be airliner pilot...
At least, if you go for training, you cannot blame yourself for not having done the maximum to achieve your dreams.

og

DeltaSix
21st May 2006, 10:44
Guys,

Just a piece of advise....... "keep trying", A QUITTER NEVER WINS. Aviation is hard and not for the faint hearted. If where you are now does not give you the opportunity, then leave, go to another country. Get in as a second officer either where you are or go to the likes of Cathay, and other asian airlines who are hiring second officers. NO paying for type rating. Of course there is the issue of citizenship sometimes but half the time they don't care.

Going F/O directly is not a cheap option.
If you have to pay for the type rating and 300 hours, make sure you are contracted so you would have a job at the end of it, otherwise find another airline who would agree.

The reality is, a lot of airlines are poaching pilots from other airlines as they don't have enough pilots with jet hours. There are a lot of low hour pilots.
It's just economics, they don't want to pay for the TR as they know they will lose you to another higher paying airline in the end,or as a cost cutting measure to be competitive.
Eventually, they will have to train people for free as the supply of pilots with jet hours will dry up. Look at India, they are hiring ex-pat captains but all their F/Os are locals. They are training them now. I am not even gonna mention the other airlines who are in low supply NOW. Bargain with them if you have the money.

D6

A340rider
21st May 2006, 13:50
Sorry..didnt mean to upset...:( ...

d2k73
21st May 2006, 13:58
A320rider, i solute you! You bring humour to many of my days! And I sit here looking out on the miserable weather that is paying dublin a visit today, and I really don't care, your posts wash away the clouds!! Keep em coming.....