PDA

View Full Version : Training Advice

wannabe28
6th May 2006, 00:21
Hi I am 27 year old who was bitten by the flying bug very young. I got accepted to an Airline when I was 19 but unfortunatly I did not complete the course.Long story!That was back in '97.I achieved about 61 hours flying but we where never issued with any offical ppl as it was part of ab-inito course.
After suffering the setback I went back to college and got a degree in IT.
However after three years working and putting my dream on hold.The bug or wish to be a pilot has never left me.
It seems I happiest whenever I walk into a airport or see a plane overhead.I went back doing a few hours last summer and it just confirmed that flying is for me.
I also reknewed my first class medical and everthing is still intact and working.

Like many of the wannabees it seems on the forum.I don't have the ability to take a big loan and forgo paying the interest for a year.

My plan is to be qualifed by the time I am 30 and thus hold down my current job with acepatble debt.

I was wondering if anybody has done something similar and could advise me.
I plan to get my ppl this summer in the states and was wondering anybody could recommend a training school?

I have looked at the threads on Naples and OBA and I am swaying towards OBA!Is this nieve?

I would be gratful for any guidance,as it is a big step starting off again and what to make the most educated choice I can.

CAT3C AUTOLAND
6th May 2006, 07:51
Welcome back to the world of aviation.

I did a similar thing to you, with regard to holding down a job to pay for my training, and ended up with a small loan to finish off.

With regard to NAC and OBA, it is difficult for me to comment as I have not been there recently, however, I have been to both. You will find a lot of information on both schools on these forums. From personal experience, and this is only from my own perspective before anyone jumps down my throat, I didn't have a problem with either school. I did my PPL at OBA back in 1995, which was bloody hard work and I do mean hard work! You will be expected to fly a fair few hours a day, and this will be tiring. I was very lucky whilst at OBA in the respect of having a very good instructor. I have spoken to a number of people who have had a rough time there, and have heard horror stories, however that was not my experience. I think that some people, not usually wanabees, think they are there on holiday and they soon realise learning to fly in the space of time available is no holiday, which puts a downer on the whole trip. I even find it in my current job, people arrive at the school thinking leanring to fly will be a doddle, not realaising they actually have to remember an awful lot and do 7 written exams and pass two practical tests, however, I digress.

I have been to NAC twice, only for hour building, and again, I enjoyed my time there. Once again I heard a few moans and groans, and it wasnt perfect, but it got the job done and I managed to meet some nice people.

If you have the time and the money, while not get yourself a cheap flight out to Florida and rent a car for a couple of days. Visit these places and get a flavour for what they are like, and see if you enjoy the atmosphere, that's what I did. At least you don't turn up and go into it blind.

You may want to contact the CAA with regard to seeing how many hours you can credit towards to the issue of a PPL. With 61 hours you must have nearly completed the course, if not finished it? It might just be a question of getting back in the saddle and doing the skill test, but I must admit I don't know the facts.

Hope it all goes well.

wannabe28
6th May 2006, 19:33
Thanks for your reply CAT3C AUTOLAND.Its god to hear somebody else went through it.I think I have been sitting on the fence too long knowing flying is for me but afraid to take the plunge again.
Do you think its a good way !its seems alot of people are taking the hit and going all out to get their licenses?

just quick question about stuying for ppl exams at OBA as you did your PPL there i think.
If you sign up with them do they send you your study material in advance.I would be keen to break the back on the study before going out there.

I have done a fair bit of the theory before but,time and alcohol does terrible things to the memory.

Yeah I had alot of the flying done and some of that 61 hours was instrument which I actually enjoyed more than the visual.

I found it came back to me alright during last summer but would like just to hedge my bets and go for ppl option to make sure I get good revision.

Part of me wishes I could get it done quicker than the 21 days and do some hour buliding too.

Do you have to have your cpl skill test passed before you can sit your cpl/fatpl exams?

aplogies about all the questions ??

thanks again for your advice and words of encouragement.:ok:

mcgoo
6th May 2006, 19:54
?

just quick question about stuying for ppl exams at OBA as you did your PPL there i think.
If you sign up with them do they send you your study material in advance.I would be keen to break the back on the study before going out there.

Part of me wishes I could get it done quicker than the 21 days and do some hour buliding too.

Do you have to have your cpl skill test passed before you can sit your cpl/fatpl exams?

aplogies about all the questions ??

thanks again for your advice and words of encouragement.:ok:

you can buy the OBA study pack online from afeonline pilot shop, OBA then credit you the price when you book your course

If you already have hours it will be worth your while calling OBA (freephone) to discuss your requirements, you may not need to do the full course

You can take the cpl or atpl exams as soon as you hold an ICAO PPL

wannabe28
7th May 2006, 19:33
Thanks magoo,

Think i am going try and head out in June so I better get my head down and start studying now.

checked out AFE and they have standard kits for OBA for the C152.

Do you have any advice on a good plane to train on.

My previous flying is in a C172.But I have done some hours in a Squirrel since and much preferred the wings positioned below the cockpit.

Always felt like I had a plank straped to plane when flying the C172.

OBA has an option to upgrade to there new plane with a glass cockpit.

Do you think its worth the money.

Going take your advice and give them a buzz 2mrw hopefully it will be good news and will be able to get PPL and some hour building done.

Back here then and staright into ATPL study.why have I being putting it off for so long.feels good to be back on right track.