PDA

View Full Version : Flight planning panic

Martin1234
5th May 2006, 20:38
I'm soon about to travel to the exam centre and I don't have access to my notes here. Can anyone please explain the following;

1) On a graph like the "MRJT 1 Figure 4.3.1.C", on the right hand side by the
"landing weight" there are two types of lines. One is dotted and the other
one is solid. Why have two different types of lines and how to use them?

2) On the Bristol feedback there are some "integrated cruise" tables which I understand is from an Airbus. On one hand I was told it's not part of the syllabus, on the other hand they do show up on the Bristol feedback. What's the case, should I expect to find them in the exam?

Deano777
6th May 2006, 00:54
I assume you mean from the CAP697.

Now you will have to excuse me I did flight planning some 7 months ago :)

These lines are altitude lines, read the altitudes that it states on the right hand side within those dotted & straight lines, in your example graph this should read 37 & 10, now if you check your actual pressure altitude reference lines in the middle of the page you will see the upper & lower values of the specified altitudes are the same, i.e. FL370 & FL100, what this is saying then is that if your cruise altitude is within the boundary of FL100 & FL370 then you must interpolate your line on the far right between the dotted & continuous lines, if your cruise altitude is below FL100 then you must follow the continuous line, if your cruise altitude is above FL370 then you must follow the dotted line.
Make sense? if not then I will try and post a picture if at all possible, you had better try to understand it if you have the exam next week, because it can make a marked difference to your answer and if the spread of answers given by your exam board are close then you are in the proverbial s***.

Good luck, I have my Mod2 exams next week too so I know the pressure you are under :) :ok:

Send Clowns
6th May 2006, 16:51
Deano is quite correct about the lines - they represent the different variation in fuel use with weight at different cruising levels.

As a hint for how to use them, I would suggest that instead of trying to interpolate between the two lines, which is tricky, you follow each set of guidelines in turn to the landing weight. That will give you two points, representing the two levels (usually FL100 and FL370). Interpolate between those points for the altitude given in the question.

As at the end of last year, when I was still teaching flight planning, there was no Airbus in the syllabus. Persistent rumour suggests the French DGAC want to introduce the A340 as a long-range jet, but that the CAA are resisting.