PDA

View Full Version : Do you REALLY need an MCC before sending out CV's ?

BIG MISTER
5th May 2006, 15:14
Hi

I've just been having this conversation with a friend whos a Captain. He was lucky enough to have joined before JAR confused things, if you know what I mean !

He remaked that upon employment an airline would put you through their own approved MCC course anyway. So why are wannabies doing an MCC course ?

I am aware that completion of the MCC Course is a mandatory JAR requirement before a multi crew type can be endorsed on a professional licence. However is it required on a wannabies CV before application ?

Or is it another course that that has crept in by the training providers in an effort to put you ahead of other wannabies...... rather like JOC and type ratings are now ?

ramshorn
5th May 2006, 15:36
Hi
This is a good question, but you will find the answer to it if you look at most of pilot recruitment adverts, which generally say in order to apply which are now mainly online based applications you need to have at least a fATPL and an MCC.
The only online application around that doesn't require this is CTC ATP scheme which they will put you through their own MCC if your fortunate enough to get through selection.
I'm just about to acquire an fATPL,and am looking into MCC courses so if anyone knows of any way i can find work and not have to pay for an MCC also then please enlighten us!!;)

moggiee
5th May 2006, 20:30
It is very hard to find an airline that does not require you to self fund through an MCC. Whilst that is a bit rough, that is the choice of the employer and there is not much that can be done about it.

At the risk of re-opening an old discussion, the MCC course is provided by FTOs because airlines don't want the expense. Even when they pay for it (like the BA JOC) they still tend to contract it out because it's a lot cheaper for them.

There are plenty of FTOs offering pretty keen prices. On the bright side, a GOOD MCC course will help you with the transition to your type rating and new aeroplane. A bad one will get you a tick in the box but won't help much.

FougaMagister
6th May 2006, 16:50
Do you really need MCC before sending out CVs?

In theory you don't. In practice you do.

Cheers :cool:

Megaton
6th May 2006, 16:52
In my short time in the industry, both airlines for whom I've worked required MCCs. The reason for this requirement is that while both companies ran CRM courses neither had in-house MCCs.

moggiee
6th May 2006, 19:04
Of course, given that the MCC is a "no jeopardy course" then the requirement to have one before applying is daft. You can normally get on one at relatively short notice and it's hard to fail (although theoretically possible to have your certificate withheld if you don't put any effort in).

The biggest advantage to doing it in advance is that you get more choice of where, when and how much.

Pilot Pete
8th May 2006, 22:26
Think about it from an airline's point of view. They have hundreds of CVs from FULLY QUALIFIED applicants, by which I mean fATPL/ME/IR with Class 1 medical, MCC and the right to live and work in the country they are applying to. Why would they bother taking on someone who doesn't have evrything? The only exceptions I can think of are when you have a 'contact' who is swaying things for you or you are filling a course start date at short notice and they have the ability to tag on the MCC qualification.

So unfortunately, if you don't have multicrew experience and you are trying to get a job on a multicrew aircraft you MUST have the MCC (be it bought before you start, or provided by the employer). If you don't have one when you apply you are severely restricting your chances of employment.

PP