PDA

View Full Version : Revised CASA Flight Instructor Handbook

Centaurus
4th May 2006, 13:44
It is over a year since draft copies of the proposed CASA Flight Instructor's Handbook was posted out to interested parties with requests for comment.

Nothing heard since. Does anyone know when it will be published?

Arm out the window
4th May 2006, 20:57
I don't know when they're sending the hard copy out, but I emailed CASA a couple of months ago enquiring about it and they obligingly emailed back a pdf copy of the final draft.

Capt. Wingdrop
4th May 2006, 23:50
It's the digital age - why send out hard copies when you can download it and print it yourself?

That being said, and sorry if it hyjacks the thread, but I've heard whispers that a new VFG is to be distributed to all pilots.

Okay, back to topic, what did you think of the proposed handbook? I'm a relatively inexperienced instructor, but I didn't find it that useful. It seemed to lack any real content and gave only a brief run down of each lesson. Maybe my expectations were too high.

Arm out the window
5th May 2006, 03:10
I think it's useful as a standardisation guide for the broad principles and style of instruction that CASA see as being what they want to promote.
It spells out quite a lot in terms of what should be included in the various sequences, but leaves the actual 'how to teach' to the individual in a lot of cases.
That's as it should be, I think - if flying schools and individual instructors have their own methods of providing effective instruction, then there's scope for variation and flair rather than a sausage factory approach, but everyone also has a reference book (the CASA guide) to call on when they're developing their own styles and when it's renewal time.
I think everyone harks back to what they were taught when they first come to instruct, so a guide based on sound and tested principles that is clear but not too rigid seems like one good foundation point for solid and consistent training standards.