PDA

View Full Version : ATC v Diabetes

ATC1ab
4th May 2006, 11:02
hi there guys and gals,

quick question for you all:
would having type2 Diabetes preclude me from pursuing a career in Air Traffic Control? Are there any controllers in the UK with diabetes?

Thanks for any info!

topdrop
4th May 2006, 11:24
There have been controllers in Australia who developed diabetes and were allowed to continue their career. Strict conditions were applied. I don't know what they all were, but the most important was that the condition had to be controllable by diet.

I don't believe we have had any people with diabetes pass the initial ATC medical, even if it was controllable by diet.

throw a dyce
4th May 2006, 11:42
ATC1ab,
If you do a search in the Medical and Health forum,you will find some threads about it there.I believe Type 1 is a non starter,but Type 2 it maybe possible,providing it's monitored closely.Perhaps CAA medical branch might be able to help as well.
Why not apply anyway and see what happens.Good luck:)

Red Dragon
4th May 2006, 15:00
throw a dyce is correct. You may keep an ATC medical with type 2 diabetes however it will be monitored on an annual basis. You will have to provide them with an Hba1C test result each year to show them how you are doing. Even when diet control is no longer sufficient there are approved medications you can take to control things.
As has been said, speak to CAA Medical branch and they will be happy to help you out. There are a number of ATCOs out there with Type 2.

RD

5th May 2006, 20:52
I'm not certain but I believe Insulin dependency is the issue. I understand that the danager with insulin dependent Diabetes is the risk of over injecting or not sufficiently high carbohydrate intake to match the dose which can then lead to passing out due to hypoglycaemia.
Point 4

Dances with Boffins
9th May 2006, 12:36
Type 1 is the insulin dependent strain, and it is simply boiled down to the fact that insulin is on the prohibited list for a Class A medical. End of story and medical fitness if you are diagnosed with type 1. :sad: You also can't drive a lorry, join the Police, hire a transit van or even drive a bloody VW camper van. Thanks a bunch Brussels. :mad:
Type 2 [diet controlled] is subject to your annual HbA1C [which is a historical record of how well you have controlled your blood sugars over the previous 6 weeks or so] remaining within proscribed limits. Your doc will send these to Medical Branch annually. If you step outside the limits, your medical will be pulled. :eek: :uhoh:
Whether an employer will take the risk of you losing your medical - different question.
It is unlikely that a controller would be fired if they developed type 2, but getting in and having someone pay for the training is also unlikely. There is nothing to stop you self-financing your training though [apart from the obvious].