PDA

View Full Version : Am i going to bury myself or what ??

XR_Joe
4th May 2006, 09:14
Hi all

I am a 20 year old maltese male with a career in logistics, qualified computer technician with diploma and advanced levels behind me.

I seriosly think that this is the time to act and apply for the ppl, cpl, and ATPL. I talked to the training school in malta and i fixed an interview for monday but would seriosly like you opinions on this ppl.

If i take this course and finish with an ATPL certification, is it enough to work at a commercial airline company like for example ryanair or airmalta or such??

if i take this course that means that i have to take a Lm20,000 loan which in my normal wage i stand little chance of paying it off. i really want to do this, one for my dream the other is for the wage that will let me stop working at hopefully 45.

i plan to do this course as part time as i still have to keep my full time job for obvious reasons. what are the success rates for a pilot to get his certifactes. what is the current scenario in job seeking i.e i am willing to work anywhere, i have nothing to hold me here in malta.

Can you please give me an insight on this ?? and most importanty do you all like your job and do you see yourself doing this the rest of your life with no problems??

If any1 would help me clear my mind a little i would really appricieate it as i want to make sure that this is what i really want before i muck it up :hmm:

Joe C

Filip Bigün
4th May 2006, 21:24
Hi Joe C, u probably gonna do your best choice in life by becoming an airline pilot cause this is the best job in the world.
But there are a lot of "but´s" in this....
First of all is the PPL session
afterwards a lot of ad´s
NQ=Night qualification
ATPL theory=Airline Transport Pilot License Theoretical knowledge
IRSE=Instrument rating single engine

Stage2
CPL=Commerical Pilot Lisence
IRME=Instrument Rating Multi Engine

Now you´re a educated commercial Pilot but this is not enough to work for an airline...

Stage3
MCC=Mult Crew Cooperation
Full Type rating on JAR25 aircraft with 1hr base training( a good aircraft choice are Boeing 737-300/500 or Airbus 319/320/321

Now your starting to become attractive on the market, some airline´s can accept u some of them dont.

Stage 4
LineTraining on the JAR25 aircraft u picked for your Type rating
at least 200-300 hr´s.

Now you´re well educated ("first officer" pilot)but keep in mind, this is still no garantee for employment but u have a good chance to get employed.

good luck and never give up even if it´s hard

best regards

Filip

XR_Joe
5th May 2006, 05:25
Thanks man, would i have to be really good in mathematics?? or is it just advanced physcics (trajectories, forces etc). ???:rolleyes:

Whirlygig
5th May 2006, 06:52
Advanced physics will be sufficient - the maths involved is no harder than that.

Cheers

Whirls

scroggs
5th May 2006, 06:58
Yet again: Archive Reference Threads - READ BEFORE YOU POST A QUESTION (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=131649)

You'd think people would have a little look around before they posted. :hmm:

Scroggs

smith
5th May 2006, 07:19
He he he, I see you'd like to retire at 45. There are a lot of us wannabe's who won't be flying long if we were to retire at 45, as it is only in our "more mature age" we have saved the money or realised that working in an office the rest of our live's is a no no.

XR_Joe
5th May 2006, 07:42
hehe, i know that working in an office is a no no for the rest of my life. The prob is this, as in any other industry you find conflicting opinions.

I think that by loaning for a lM 20000 and completing my courses by two years. If what they have told me about the wag is true then it is a heaven of a job, great pay and great buzz...... i dont know now, maybe im mistaken

kissmysquirrel
5th May 2006, 11:34
...you certainly are. Mistaken that is.
If you went from nothing to full ATPL with ratings and everything you need to be employable, then it'll take you a good deal longer than two years doing it part time. Throw into that an Instructor rating you'll need to help you build hours, then you can join the hundreds (thousands?) of others just like yourself. Remember if you did finish in 2 years, you'd be 22. Then, when oil becomes too scarce and expensive for the majority of flight, you'll be about 37, and if oil prices continue on their present climb, what will you do after that? You'll spend a good 5years+ paying off the loans.

Sorry to rain on your parade but think seriously and have a good read through all of the posts on this forum. It's not as easy as one may think.

:hmm:

Then again oil might go on for another 100 years and be as cheap as mud. What do I know, I just work in the oil industry.:E

XR_Joe
5th May 2006, 12:35
you know something. I have been reading all posts in this site for a week now. all the time reading and i am beginningto lose all hope of becoming a pilot. and all this i still have no guarantee that they will give me a loan. no guarantee of work. i have to study pt after 10 hrs work minimum each day , be broke for god knows how much (paying the loans). i dont know, why the :mad: has it to be so much a deal to study for a pilot. ( its the money that is dumping my hope ,ore then anything else) cos if i botch this up im in deeeeeeepp crap cos i have to make 10 years paying just cos of a brilliant idea of mine in hope to better my future

exraf
5th May 2006, 14:37
Join the Royal Air Force , if your physically and mentally fit to be a pilot for sure they will tell you straight, indeed a good benchmark , without you having to pay out of your own Pocket. Go to your Recruiting Office, take the tests and take it from there...

scroggs
5th May 2006, 17:40
Not normally an option for a Maltese citizen these days, exraf

Scroggs

kissmysquirrel
6th May 2006, 04:44
but, the important thing is remembering one simple thing in all of your decisions. This life isn't a dress rehearsal for the real thing. This is it. You get one chance to do the things you want. Would you want to be 45years old and still working in an office wondering...".what if i'd only tried all of those years ago?"
The decision can only be made by you and my take on it all is that I did just what you are wondering about now. Only I did helicopter route and it took me a few years.
Do a PPL first. Take it one step at a time. You have time on your side. Look how many people here are getting older and wondering if it's worth a try now?

Just one more thing, no matter how much you budget, add at least another 25% minimum on to the largest figure you come up with.

XL5
6th May 2006, 05:19
I really have to interject and point out the two sides to the "go for it and damn the consequences" argument.

You get one chance to do the things you want. Would you want to be 45 years old and still working in an office wondering...".what if I'd only tried all of those years ago?"

Or would you rather be 45, utterly down and out pushing a few pitiful possessions in a wobbly shopping trolley as you head home to your nice dry spot under the bridge after having tired your hardest to succeed only to irredeemably fail under a mountain of unpaid debt? That office doesn't seem so bad now does it?

Incremental steps. Take the ppl, stay where you're earning money, work on the theory for the cpl. Then should you still feel like it, take another step.

Note that as a pilot you most certainly won't be retiring at 45 - unless you win the lottery. Are your lucky numbers up to snuff?

XR_Joe
6th May 2006, 07:04
i have an interview with the european flight academy here in malta on monday where we will talk about the courses and stuff. most probably what i will do is to take the ppl then take it a step at a time. i have heard alot of good things here in the thread so thanks all for ur honest replies.

Can any1 point me out regarding wages. what is the worst wage and average wage you can get when your starting out??

Thanks all

Joe C

geraldn
15th May 2006, 22:20
for a rough idea on wages log on to www.ppjn.com

joe,i was in your position a year and a half ago ,did my ppl with EFA and am now a week away from doing my MEIR exam,ive been through some hard times and im sure more are to come,however to this point i just soldier on with my goal of becoming an airline pilot.

just take it step by step and plan wisely.
good luck