PDA

View Full Version : Navigator in RNZAF

wagstaff,B
4th May 2006, 03:06
Hi
I have just been accepted as a navigator in the RNZAF, although my initial intention was to become a pilot but just missed out. I was wondering if anyone had any information on this position, or any opinions on the career in general. I am trying to decide whether to accept this position or continue my flying ambitions and train as a civilian pilot.
Any information would be much appreciated.
Thanks

navoff
4th May 2006, 17:45
No option

Train to become a pilot! I was a navigator in the RAF there is no comparison between the 2 jobs.

Navoff

wagstaff,B
4th May 2006, 21:16
Thanks
So in ur role as navigator what kind of tasks were you asked to carry out, was it an enjoyable and rewarding job?

Pontius Navigator
5th May 2006, 07:39
wagstaff, it all depends on what and where you are flying. I don't know what you have now, do you still have Orions? Likewise do you have trucks.

Flying a great ASW platform like the P3 can be very frustrating if you have old kit and no targets. Initially flying fisheries can be novel but find one trawler find 'em all. If you find an illegal then that is a flip but catching them needs organisation and resolve and of course targets.

Trucks OTOH get to fly to exciting places like, er, Oz and possibly Malaysia, middle east even. You should have an idea of what your air force is employed on. This too can be rewarding especially when you have old kit. Unlike the frustration that out of date kit causes on an MPA, out of date or no kit on a truck can be very satisfying for the professional navigator (as opposed to a FJ mud mover).

Strato Q
6th May 2006, 04:58
Wagstaff,

You will find very few RNZAF aircrew on PPRUNE, mostly because they are content with their lot. Any you do find tend to be those that jumped ship with the demise of the Air Combat Force.

If you have been accepted as you say then I would assume that you are already aware of the aircraft available to a Nav - P3 or Herc. If you want advice then organise a visit to Whenuapai and spend some time with 5 Sqn and 40 Sqn and speak directly to those that know rather than the uninformed.

As far as Commercial Pilot training v Nav Training, I know at least 5 pilots here that have rebranched from rearcrew - Nav or AEOP, to pilot. A lot cheaper than the commercial route and certainly more interesting.

Pontius - the P3 tends to go a bit further than you assume, they normally make at least one trip to the UK a year.

If you need more help PM me.

Strato

Not Long Here
6th May 2006, 06:18
Wagstaff,

Sorry to disappoint Strato Q, but RNZAF aircrew do lurk around here. The advice though is good. Get up to Whenuapai and speak to the Navs on the Sqn.

Both the P3 and the C130 are going through upgrades which are likely to be in service by the time you qualify. The more satisfying job will definately be on the P3. It is moving away from Navigation into Weapon and Sensor System management. With excellent up to date sensors and tactical system.

The C130 will be updated with an FMS based system which ultimately make the Navs job virtually redundant with only the joys of tactical ops to look forward to.

If you are still intent on joining, go for the P3 and look for the path to pilot once you have some SA and airmanship under your belt.

Best of luck

Pontius Navigator
6th May 2006, 06:38
Agree my knowledge of P3 range maybe dated for sometimes they could not afford to go to UK for the Fincastle. Then how many crews are there and how many go?

Story of my life, joined the sqn only to be regaled about a Latin American tour by a couple of crews. Then, 10 years later, joined another sqn . . .

Worse it was the crew I joined that had just been and this put a stop on any away trip for a couple of years even[I] though all the original crew had moved on. I bet NZ is just as [I]fair:)

My point about targets still hold however. Even the UK is going down to 12 MPA.

Strato Q
6th May 2006, 10:57
Not Long Here? Don't I know you under another more prolific pre-move south name?

wagstaff,B
7th May 2006, 00:30
Thanks for the advice guys.
The airforce has arranged for me to travel down south to meet some aircrew of the P3 early next week. So hopefully it should be a good opportunity to ask some questions and have a look around the aircraft.
cheers

eagle 86
7th May 2006, 06:50
Nice to see a young bloke showing a little respect for those who've done it (as opposed to that smart-arse Shawney) - well done Waggers all the best in your career whichever way you jump.
GAGS
E86