PDA

View Full Version : Airline Passenger Survey on in-flight mobile telephony - Please help me by completing

krisgnair
3rd May 2006, 21:09
My name is Krishna Kumar and I am currently a student on the MSc Air Transport Management degree at Cranfield University, United Kingdom. As part of my course I am completing a thesis on “The economic feasibility of In-flight mobile telephony”.
You can access the survey by visiting http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=25522079714

This survey has been designed to seek passenger views on the introduction of in-flight mobile telephony. The information that you provide will not only provide results for my research but also assist airlines and those involved in the industry to better align their communication services more closely to passengers needs. This survey will take you approximately 10 minutes to complete and consist of 5 sections.
Please help me by filling this survey with your valuable feedback on this subject. Looking forward for everyone's help
Thank you for spending your valuable time

Globaliser
3rd May 2006, 23:36
You've failed to ask the most important question: How much extra would you be prepared to pay to ensure that your flight prohibited the use of mobile phones?

I, for one, would be happy to pay some premium to make sure that they stayed off my aircraft. And see this thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=221753).

PAXboy
4th May 2006, 13:49
I completed the survey but what I think is so neat is the way that students these days can run this kind of survey, use it for their degree AND then sell it to the airlines!!!! Wow, wish I'd thought of that 30 years ago!! :sad:

Tolsti
4th May 2006, 13:59
Interesting survey, pity about not being able to spell (personnel/personal) :8

CargoOne
4th May 2006, 14:44
What are the influential factors: "In-flight mobile telephony"

Is there something I've missed? Which airline is already offering in-flight mobile telephony?

BEagle
5th May 2006, 16:14
I started your survey, then gave up.

Let me make it easy for you:

BAN ALL PHONES ON AIRCRAFT!

Perhaps a soundproof booth next to the lavatory might be OK - and $10 per minute for outgoing calls. No incoming calls permitted.

CargoOne
5th May 2006, 19:17
Perhaps a soundproof booth next to the lavatory might be OK - and $10 per minute for outgoing calls. No incoming calls permitted.

A phone allowing you to make an outgoing call at $10 per minute is available at any J and F seat on longhaul for ages.

Irish Steve
5th May 2006, 22:09
by Bose to sell LOTS of their extremely expensive noise cancelling headsets that at the moment are not quite affordable.

The thought of being able to mask out all the surrounding noise if this plan ever happens is becoming increasingly appealing!:E

krisgnair
27th May 2006, 10:47
Thank you for all of you completed the survey. Will appreciate if more people fill in the survey and help me in the research.

Timba 2B
28th May 2006, 12:41
Quote me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that the use of mobiles or the like were NOT permitted on board due to the risk of interference with Flight Deck radio systems!? Has there been research to prove otherwise? :confused:

apaddyinuk
28th May 2006, 17:03
Not really Timba. But technology is being developed which will make it safe and allow the use of mobiles onboard!
I for one am already having nightmares about the thought! Especially at 0330GMT inbound from JFK in Club when 47 out of 48 punters are trying to make the most of their sleeper seat but cant cos number 48 is blabbing loudly on his mobile "HONEY, IM ON THE PLANE...PICK ME UP FROM T4 AT 0630!!!"

Timba 2B
28th May 2006, 18:30
Hmm, I can just imagine it. There will be pax complaining that they can't have a proper telephone conversation because:
a) the IFE is too loud
b) the INF in the seat infront is crying too much - it's distracting
c) there is too much general noise in the cabin
d) poor reception / interference

What is more worrying though is with the free use of mobiles - who exactly will be paying attention to the safety briefing :confused:

I definitely agree to NO MOBILE PHONES ON FLIGHTS! :*

T2B

apaddyinuk
28th May 2006, 20:52
Well I Assume that the call router onboard will be controlled by the crew so that it can be switched on and off during take off and landing ensuring no one is using their phones when they should not be.

kluge
4th Jun 2006, 07:39
A benefit of the service is to allow SMS and internet access. Personally I would like this.

However I would prefer NOT to have any kind of voice services.

I believe the airlines will tailor different service offerings as differentiators.

The thought of hundreds of Chinese yelling "wei' at once does not fill me with delight and I agree that potentially airrage will increase.

Probably a good opportunity to invest in 3M's earplug manufacturing division.

Red Snake
8th Jun 2006, 17:19
I think we have to accept that it's on the way. The technical interference issue is being resolved, as it has been for WiFi, and the airlines will view it as another source of revenue as they will take a cut of the roaming charges.

Can you imagine Ryaniar caring about noise to a fellow passenger if they can extract a few more $$$ from the flight?

krisgnair
10th Jun 2006, 10:16
Thank you to all of you who took part in my survey