PDA

View Full Version : Hearing Tests

JAK80
3rd May 2006, 12:01
Having problems passing RN Aircrew hearing test - currently H1 H2, any tips on this or thoughts on the likelihood of hearing improving? Have been given 12 months downgrade and wondering if it is worth holding on or not...

buoy15
3rd May 2006, 13:23
Hello Jak
What was that you said?
Speak up lad!
Take the MP3 earphones out and listen to me
Ah!, that's better
Yes, hearing - it can only degrade from birth - like age - it's unlikely to improve
From the RN point - can they expect you to aurally detect a tonal from a Typhoon at 127db, which is abeam your towed array, at 200yds doing 12 kts in the north Atlantic in winter?
Jonesey did it in the 'Hunt for Red October' - but that was against the 'caterpillar' - which I believe, has been removed since the film!
Another good test is - if you whistle a tune and your mates complain - you are probably tone deaf
My last hearing test in the "insulated box" took place when contractors were removing part of the the roof with pneumatic hammers
However, that's a different frequency and db level, so I passed my bit
Best of luck next year

L J R
3rd May 2006, 13:34
Whilst sitting in the chamber waiting for scotty to beam you up, count (quietly) 20" - allows operator to commence test sequence. Then press small button ONCE and release every 4 seconds for 3 minutes and 48 seconds, ensure the button press lasts for a fulll second. Then STOP.

Operator will then open door and let you out.

Test Passed!

Runaway Gun
3rd May 2006, 15:32
I tried a similar technique, pushing the button on a regular basis.
However for extra sensory powers, I closed my eyes, and concentrated pureply on listening (and breathing).

It worked really well (or so I thought) until the nurse opened the door and said "The test's been finished for awhile now...."

VigilantPilot
3rd May 2006, 18:30
I've been in one booth where they had left the control in view of the little window in the front. Every time it did the "beep beep beep", a little light would come on on the control panel. One of the other gift horses was the booth that had quite a lot of background hum and every time the beeps came on, the hum went. Test passed. :ok:

Pontius Navigator
3rd May 2006, 19:11
It helps if you now what the test actually is as imagination is 20-20.

Try and find an audiologist to give you a talk through and demo. A few beers at you local NHS might help here.

At my last test, with both aids wired up to the laptop it was amazing to watch my hearing profile being modified. Mind you in a noisy room I find an ear trumpet works best.