PDA

View Full Version : Warning, yet ANOTHER tax rant!

knobbygb
3rd May 2006, 06:22
OK, so I've given up - I've not booked a shorthaul for over 2 years where the base fare has actually been higher than the "tax" - they can charge what they want and I cannot win, but...

I need to fly from Athens to the UK in October. Alitalia have some very attractive fares as usual, but I can acually save GBP17 by taking an additional internal leg inside Italy :\ (OK, not a lot of money 17 quid, but it's the WHY? I wanna know about)

ATH-MXP-MAN return - base far GBP79 + tax of GBP104
ATH-FCO-MXP-MAN return - base fare GBP79 + tax of GBP87

Now, I thought I finally understood from previous threads where most of the tax was going, but what's happening here? On both trips I'd make an international departure and an arrival in Greece, an international arrival and departure in Itlay and an international arrival and departure from the UK. Same airline, 3 of the same airports, same days. How can an extra internal leg possibly REDUCE the tax? Not only must the internal leg be subsidised, but there's a NEGATIVE number coming into play somewhere, surely?

I've gone past being mildly interested (15 years ago), confused, and annoyed by airline "taxes" and I'm now just, well... :{ :mad: dunno. Why should people be encouraged to take 2 extra flights they don't need with the extra cost to the environment etc? I thought at least part of these taxes were supposed to be for "environmental concerns".

ExSimGuy
4th May 2006, 19:47
Maybe the two airports both charge very little or nothing for internal flights, but the tax charged for an international departure is much higher at one.

Just a thought, as nobody has come up with the answser yet